JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, Guys (and gals) - Newbee here. But I've been reading posts for quite a while. My hunting partner and I are interested in decimating a community of sage rats, for the first time. We're in Coos Bay, Oregon, and figure on trying Christmas Valley. Not knowing the area, we figure on stopping at Dinsdale Farm. I've been reading that the hunting runs hot and cold. Looking for alternative sites, in case we get skunked. Looks like closest group of crop circles to CV would be Alfalfa, Hampton, and Prineville, then Burns, a little farther. Has anyone else prioritized alternative sites, and what success have you had at your alternate sites? Or would you suggest staying in CV and trying other fields? Just trying to maximize our success prospects, while minimizing our driving. Also - Some posts say that I need a hunting license and others say that if I'm an agent of the land owner, I don't need a license. Is verbal permission to hunt on his property considered being an agent? Then, if I am the 7th hunter this year on his land, am I Agent 007? Sorry - Couldn't resist. Thanks for any info.

Ted

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you know someone with property you have about a 5% chance of finding suitable land to hunt on.

Most farmers know hunters that will go on a rat frenzy and have little trust a stranger will respect their land - at least the ones I've talked to.

Some of us have been trying to find a place to plink rats for years.

Best of Luck to you though;)

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. We're both over 60 years old, and were business owners for decades, so I think I'll detail our backgrounds to present to ranchers, to instill a sense of how responsible we are. Maybe open some doors that way. Sounds like a lot of irresponsible shooters have spoiled it for the rest of us.

Hello Ted. Welcome from the gun-totin old broad contingent. Good luck finding somewhere to shoot sage rats.
Carol

Hi Ted, welcome to the forum.
There's plenty of anecdotes here where the most responsible person in the world becomes the most dangerous once you put a gun in their hand. And, given they don't know you from Shinola, your word has zero credibility. Simplest reason, if you injure yourself on their land, you are their liability.
So, don't be surprised if you are greeted with skepticism. I've had farmers in Idaho with 6,000+ acres flatly say "no". (Maybe it was my Hillary '16 - 'Fighting For Us hat'. :rolleyes::p)

That said, I hope you find something. Take a look at the "Hunting" forums - I have seen posts inviting other members to come out rat and coyote hunting.

Hi, Guys (and gals) - Newbee here. But I've been reading posts for quite a while. My hunting partner and I are interested in decimating a community of sage rats, for the first time. We're in Coos Bay, Oregon, and figure on trying Christmas Valley. Not knowing the area, we figure on stopping at Dinsdale Farm. I've been reading that the hunting runs hot and cold. Looking for alternative sites, in case we get skunked. Looks like closest group of crop circles to CV would be Alfalfa, Hampton, and Prineville, then Burns, a little farther. Has anyone else prioritized alternative sites, and what success have you had at your alternate sites? Or would you suggest staying in CV and trying other fields? Just trying to maximize our success prospects, while minimizing our driving. Also - Some posts say that I need a hunting license and others say that if I'm an agent of the land owner, I don't need a license. Is verbal permission to hunt on his property considered being an agent? Then, if I am the 7th hunter this year on his land, am I Agent 007? Sorry - Couldn't resist. Thanks for any info.

Ted
Hello Ted, we have 25 acres of hay field that a responsible gun shooter can have fun on with many sage rats that are out of control. Depending on how accurate you are, we are willing to pay for ammo. But can't afford to have a shooter who is dinging everywhere and putting holes in our irrigation line or the vinyl fence fabric that is strung between fence posts. Would want a 17 HMR rifle to be used with explosive tip ammo as I don't want much distance nor FMJ ammo as I have neighbors. Want to assure them that the ammo won't carry to their property given the location we will have you shoot from. Will check with my local business attorney whether any kind of "release" form is available to ensure everyone is clear on the liability and pick up your ammo shells.

Hello Ted, we have 25 acres of hay field that a responsible gun shooter can have fun on with many sage rats that are out of control. Depending on how accurate you are, we are willing to pay for ammo. But can't afford to have a shooter who is dinging everywhere and putting holes in our irrigation line or the vinyl fence fabric that is strung between fence posts. Would want a 17 HMR rifle to be used with explosive tip ammo as I don't want much distance nor FMJ ammo as I have neighbors. Want to assure them that the ammo won't carry to their property given the location we will have you shoot from. Will check with my local business attorney whether any kind of "release" form is available to ensure everyone is clear on the liability and pick up your ammo shells.
Thank you sgreen for the invite. We are both 69 years old, own several businesses in Coos Bay, been married for decades and lifelong respectful hunters. WAY past the wild years. Will shoot .22LR until we find a place that's safe for our .223's. My email is [email protected], if you could send me your phone number. Right now we're committed to Christmas Valley, but Tumalo is on the way. Ted

Hello Ted, after having 2 holes shot through the roof of a shop next to my house then catching a respected wrighter of a sports magazine right here in Oregon hunting on my land please don't blame the land owner if he says no.

No, Slidecreek, a land-owner doesn't even owe anyone a reason for excluding them from his property. I have acreage here on the coast, and I'm on the same page. Unfortunately, we have to EARN the right to be granted privileges, and even then, the land-owner pays the property taxes and that rightly gives him sole control. Didn't used to be that way, but we live in a different age today. Thanks for the comment. Ted

No, Slidecreek, a land-owner doesn't even owe anyone a reason for excluding them from his property. I have acreage here on the coast, and I'm on the same page. Unfortunately, we have to EARN the right to be granted privileges, and even then, the land-owner pays the property taxes and that rightly gives him sole control. Didn't used to be that way, but we live in a different age today. Thanks for the comment. Ted
Just trying to be polite Ted. But we are talking about people and the way some folk thing. This day and age, living as remote as I do, always thinking someone will come along with a match.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top