Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

new member- needs some info

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JTW, Apr 6, 2012.

1. JTW

JTW portland New Member

Hey, new guy here. I am interested in getting into some precision shooting/long distance shooting. I have a few years in the WAANG and own an AR so have some basic marksmanship skills. I am interested in building a intro level rifle that I can grow into and learn on. I am thinking about .308, probably something from savage or tikka and am not sure about optics. Bascially I do not really know where to begin and am a blank slate. I would also like to know if anyone can point me in the direction to some training since I dont really want to pick up bad habits from the start. I am thinking about a membership to Tri-county and want to know if there is anyone around there that would could also help me.

-thanks

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

First, Welcome to the forum!

If you are looking for a Class F rifle, I'd look at the .338 Lapua rather than the .308. It just has better ballistics. As for your base gun, I recommend the Remington 700 as the base platform. It has been utilized to a very great extent for long range shooting and there are plenty of tweeks available.

Here is one, and yea....they aren't cheep!! And that is without optics which will run about to the price of your rifle! Remington - 700P MLR, .338 Lapua

3. JTW

JTW portland New Member

Hey, thank you for the info. I will look into that and will put some serious thought into it. My concern is the cost of that round and as a beginner not getting as much time behind the gun do to the cost. What are your thoughts?

4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

the roberts 243 is an excellent distance rifle. I know it is a favorite of one world class rifle man whom i know

5. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:
    The 308 in a Rem. 700 platform would be a great starter and a great all round great choice.
    I have built many of these and larger 300WM , 338LPM.

6. JTW

JTW portland New Member

Hey thanks for all the info, how do people feel about Douglas Ridge v. Tri-county?

7. TZS Gunfire

TZS Gunfire Veneta Member

Welcome to Northwest Firearms