JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:) Hello, I'm new here "60 years old and retired" and was wondering what this site is all about. I'm thinking of upgrading my SKS with a synthetic stock, better trigger, sights, and a larger magazine. Mine has a 5 shot fixed clip, a short wood stock, a very long, heavy trigger and is missing the cleaning rod and bayonet. It's made for a smaller person than me and I'm only 5'10". I was also wondering if there was any way to change FMJ military ammunition into something more practicle? Please excuse my bad spelling as my wife and editer isn't awake to proof read and correct it for me. I'd appreciate it if there was anyone here willing to share information with me about the SKS. Thanks, Fishmeister

whoa there, before you toss a bunch of cash at your sks, consider a few things.

you will be altering a pretty cool old rifle

could that cash be spent more wisely, on say, another gun?

even with custom ammo, the round is actually only suitable for deer sized game at relatively close ranges. (much like a 30-30)

whoa there, before you toss a bunch of cash at your sks, consider a few things.

you will be altering a pretty cool old rifle

could that cash be spent more wisely, on say, another gun?

even with custom ammo, the round is actually only suitable for deer sized game at relatively close ranges. (much like a 30-30)

There is no danger of messing up a collectible. Notice OP said stock short wood stock, integral mag modified (God only knows to what extent) to accept 5 rounds, missing the bayonet and rod. Very possibly all mods can be undone with original parts. And what if deer is all he wants to hunt?

After trying several solutions on my Yugo SKS, I find the Scope Mount SKS Steel Blue to be the most solid, reliable and you won't lose your zero when you remove the dust cover. The only drawback is you have to drill holes to the receiver.

Scope selection is limited, but there are enough to choose from. They must be very short or else you may either get "scope eye" or ejected cases will hit the front bell, or both. There is a NcStar case deflector but that in my opinion is going too far.

One final warning about the trigger job involving Wolff springs. The hammer spring will give you the occasional misfire with most steel cased Russian (Tiger, Wolf, Tula, etc) ammo. Primers are hard to prevent slam fires. Weak primer strikes may also hurt your accuracy. My Yugo was shooting about 4 MOA with Russian steel case ammo until I put back the original spring. Now it is about 2-3 MOA. I guess you will be ok with brass cased hunting ammo.

Regarding the "rifle was made for someone smaller than me" comment...maybe not. Try and shoot it with a more hunched forward, more squared off stance, with both shoulders perpendicular to the direction of fire. Many folks try to shoot these rifles with a more typical one shoulder forward, one shoulder behind stance and yes it would then seem too short. I stand several inches taller than you and i have no problems shooting any short carbine like an AK or SKS when I use this stance. try it and see if it works for you too.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads