JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could probably get as many guesses on the initials and the hash marks as there have been guesses as to why the 1873 Winchester was left leaning against the tree in Nevada, but both were probably pretty uneventful at the time.
Exactly. Over 1 million 1892s were made.

The kill marks could be for anything. But the fact that the buttplate had to be removed to make the kill marks makes me think it's for deer. But a total WAG and could be for anything ur imagination comes up with I suppose

The rifle has a 24" round barrel. Little blue left, but zero rust. Overall excellent. The gate spring is a little bent. But I'm leaving as is due to age.

PXL_20210430_214618746.jpg PXL_20210430_172923341.jpg IMG_20210430_102704_01.jpg

My pal John, who went to live in La Belle France a few years back, had an almost identical rifle of the 1894 'steel' variety in .32-20 calibre. It was a really sweet-shooting little carbine, easily able to hold its own at 50m with more modern guns of a similar format. It had cost him a fortune, had a very low serial number, and a letter from Winchester giving its provenance. He sold it with a lot of his other guns that he wasn't taking with him for a capacious amount of $$$$$$$$.

Hi all. Looks like a nice forum. I live in Seattle. Do a lot of target shooting at Renton Fish & Game and out in the woods.

I just bought a Winchester 1892 mfg in 1902. Under the butt plate someone scratched the initials AW and 6 hash marks. Got my gears turning. Could have been at Winchester, or a hunter's tags, or...?

Any thoughts.

Thanks all.

View attachment 874029
Welcome. Have fun tracing the rifle. Post some photos too when you get a chance.

Last Edited:
I see it's in .44-40, my personal favorite. If you reload you'll be able keep yourself in ammo for a lifetime. Many good cowboy/rifle loads to be had. Nice buy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top