JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I'm a new member from Portland. I'm not a gun collector, although I own a few and I enjoy shooting (or at least I did before the ammo crunch), but I am new to town and don't really have a place to shoot yet, or local friends to shoot with. Hoping to correct that.

RE : Ammo crunch.

Yeah......we should ALL give our thanks to BRANDON.

1663943110460.png

Aloha, Mark

Welcome aboard and glad you found us! Lots of great and helpful folk here. Where did you move from?

For places to shoot there are a couple of clubs nearby - Tri County (looooong waiting list) and Douglas Ridge. We also have an outdoor shooting forum here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/outdoor-shooting-areas.32/ n addition there are several indoor pistol ranges. You can locate them in our Resources section here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/resources/ where you will also find reviews of various vendors.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome aboard and glad you found us! Lots of great and helpful folk here. Where did you move from?

For places to shoot there are a couple of clubs nearby - Tri County (looooong waiting list) and Douglas Ridge. We also have an outdoor shooting forum here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/outdoor-shooting-areas.32/ n addition there are several indoor pistol ranges. You can locate them in our Resources section here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/resources/ where you will also find reviews of various vendors.
Thank you 🙂

Welcome to the forum! be sure and check out the resources tab for places to shoot and shop for guns.
When you find a place you like check to see if it is already posted. If it isn't, it is completely ok to post it.

Ammo deals can be found here and there. Try ammoseek.com for some online deals.

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only old bitty who rembers when the Glock came out. My P220 is old enough to be stamped "Made in W. Germany" 🤣
Right @Charlotte! I'm 76. Started shooting under careful parental supervision when about 5. One of the guns I learned on, a gun I inherited, was my mother's .22 pistol, a Colt Woodsman Target that my parents bought back before WWII. My mother used it for everything from shooting giant snowshoe hares in the head in Alaska right after WWII to chasing off two would-be rapists in Florida when Dad was away. My favorite caliber, .44 mag, didn't even exist when I started shooting. My first/only Glock was a model 23 I bought shortly after the .40 caliber was invented. A dream to carry. But, alas, I couldn't shoot it well. Have a slight tremble in my arms when extended that is absorbed and cancelled by heavier guns. So the gloriously light weight of the Glocks turned out to not work for me. You won't find me badmouthing Glocks, though. Sure loved the grip angle. Similar to the Colt Woodsman I grew up on. Current EDC is a SW 686 .357mag snubby that weighs 36 oz unloaded. Heavy for an EDC, but I can shoot it much better than anything much lighter, and the extra weight in the gun and muzzle heavy balance make it pleasant to shoot even with full power loads.
Carol

Right @Charlotte! I'm 76. Started shooting under careful parental supervision when about 5. One of the guns I learned on, a gun I inherited, was my mother's .22 pistol, a Colt Woodsman Target that my parents bought back before WWII. My mother used it for everything from shooting giant snowshoe hares in the head in Alaska right after WWII to chasing off two would-be rapists in Florida when Dad was away. My favorite caliber, .44 mag, didn't even exist when I started shooting. My first/only Glock was a model 23 I bought shortly after the .40 caliber was invented. A dream to carry. But, alas, I couldn't shoot it well. Have a slight tremble in my arms when extended that is absorbed and cancelled by heavier guns. So the gloriously light weight of the Glocks turned out to not work for me. You won't find me badmouthing Glocks, though. Sure loved the grip angle. Similar to the Colt Woodsman I grew up on. Current EDC is a SW 686 .357mag snubby that weighs 36 oz unloaded. Heavy for an EDC, but I can shoot it much better than anything much lighter, and the extra weight in the gun and muzzle heavy balance make it pleasant to shoot even with full power loads.
Carol
Hey, I'm 76 as well! I began my life of shooting at age 6 with my dad's 1915 US Navy issue Colt M1911. So I guess that trounces your much younger Woodsman :)

We live on the top NW corner of Cambridgeshire, England, but don't hold that agin us. We are Oregonians by adoption, and until covid spent a deal of time every year in the state with friends up and down a line West of the Cascades.

I shoot around three times a week, 1850's ACW muzzleloaders to modern .308s. See my Youtube channel - tac's guns.

Last Edited:
Carol
The only Glock I own is a Gen 3 Glock 17. I like it, but I shoot better with all metal guns. A little weight really steadies things. I have TBI and am on disability and don't drive anymore so I rely on public transportation. Taking the light rail at night is always a fun experience in Portland. Surrounded by people, I tend to depend on .32s and .38s for self-defense, whereas in Arizona I routinely carried a .45 or .357 mag. A lot a people think I am being silly with mouseguns these days, but I just sleep better that way.

Welcome to The Board, the bestest li'l gun board there is!

Welcome to the forum!

I am going on 2 years of membership here and it has been, without a doubt, the best online resource for anything firearms/outdoor hobby related!

Since you are located in Oregon, please be aware of Measure 114 that will be on the ballot this November! We need to vote NO on this measure unless we want to become the least 2A friendly state in the Union. For more information, check out this thread:

Spread the word!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top