JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,
Today I joined Northwest Firearms and I am rather excited to interact with this community; it is the first blog (if that's what you call it) that I have joined. I am somewhat new to firearms; I have done some training at The Marksman in Puyallup, safety, how to shoot, when to shoot....that is rather focused on self-protection and that is not where I want to go with shooting. They do an excellent job on all three of those courses; I highly recommend them. But, I've learned that carrying is not for me...too much training to be effective and too much responsibility; that may change but for right now, I don't want to carry although I did attain a CPL. I am thinking to get a shotgun for at home protection. I recently purchased a new S&W M&P 9MM 4 1/8", and immediately realized carrying is not for me so maybe I can trade it.

I want to do sport shooting with .22LR rifles in a safe outdoor area at targets. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and enjoy photography and birding. I am in the Olympia area and looking for like minded people. I have fished in WA for the last 40 years and don't care to do it unless with a guide; it is too much work for me. I recently met a great guide located in my area.

I need to buy a 22LR rifles and am currently considering the Ruger 22LR, considering a 4X scope; maybe one for the wife too, probably. I'd appreciate any constructive, informative, or experiential (big word:winkkiss:) postings you might share.

Thank You, Stay Safe and Have Fun,
Joly

Welcome!

A 10/22 is a good rifle to start, but certainly not the only one. The 10/22 is a great choice if you plan to accessorize (some call it "bubbafy") or change barrels, triggers, etc. Of the removable magazine semi-autos, it also has the one with the most after-market options. But , it is also the priciest.

As I said, there are other options out there, and can be as accurate or even more. Take your time, especially now that even a 10/22 will be hard to find and overpriced.

I plan to start shooting 22LR silhouette tomorrow. I expect to know a bit more about this topic afterwards. These guys have been doing it for years and possess a wealth of knowledge I plan to tab.

ThanksCivilian75,
I 'googled' silhouette shooting; that looks like fun, especially with someknowledgeable folks willing to share the fun/experience. Thanks for the infoyou shared regarding 10/22 options and availability; I don't plane tocustomize, but I suspect the more knowledgeable I become I might make somealterations. I did review the differnt 'stock' 10/22 Rugers...they have 5varieties, maybe 6.

Tomorrow, I am taking my wife to a course for safety training; it is focused onhand gun usage, but should be very good training for her and me to review andknow we both will be safety trained...it will help me relax; she can be kind ofa 'loose cannon'. Actually, she is great and I am lucky to have her andcautious.

Stay Well,
Joly

[QUOTE=civilian75;781190]Welcome!

A 10/22 is a good rifle to start, but certainly not the only one. The 10/22 is a great choice if you plan to accessorize (some call it "bubbafy") or change barrels, triggers, etc. Of the removable magazine semi-autos, it also has the one with the most after-market options. But , it is also the priciest.

As I said, there are other options out there, and can be as accurate or even more. Take your time, especially now that even a 10/22 will be hard to find and overpriced.

I plan to start shooting 22LR silhouette tomorrow. I expect to know a bit more about this topic afterwards. These guys have been doing it for years and possess a wealth of knowledge I plan to tab.[/QUOTE]

ThanksCivilian75,
I 'googled' silhouette shooting; that looks like fun, especially with someknowledgeable folks willing to share the fun/experience. Thanks for the infoyou shared regarding 10/22 options and availability; I don't plane tocustomize, but I suspect the more knowledgeable I become I might make somealterations. I did review the differnt 'stock' 10/22 Rugers...they have 5varieties, maybe 6.

Tomorrow, I am taking my wife to a course for safety training; it is focused onhand gun usage, but should be very good training for her and me to review andknow we both will be safety trained...it will help me relax; she can be kind ofa 'loose cannon'. Actually, she is great and I am lucky to have her andcautious.

Stay Well,
Joly

I will be stumbling through the reply/respond/contribute/thread 'stuff' as best I can. Anyone with directional advice is welcomed to offer it! Play nice now and thanks all.
Joly

Welcome Joly,

I've been posting for a while and I still find myself learning daily. Sometimes when you reply it appears that your message disappears and you have to reply again. That caused duplicate posts for me early on.

The 10/22 is very user friendly and fun to shoot, thumbs up from me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top