JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I know the JM Marlins are ideal, right?
Okay, but how bad are the new ones, really?

Ive had a Remlin 336 in the past, put a few hundred through it with no problems...

BUT...

I picked one up from the classifoeds here today and its a newer model... Stocks looked pretty light so I thought Id strip them and refinish...

In taking things apart to get the wood off... Looks like the front sight screw stripped and someone epoxied the sight back on and dumped it off on unsuspecting members...

Or

Are these sights epoxied and screwed to the barrel at the factory and this is just a factory error?

Looks like screw is broken off, but cant tell.

Anyone else ever have the front sight off on one of these? Whats it look like?
I dont want to mess with it until I know what its original state should be

0408231845_HDR.jpg 0408231845.jpg

Screw looks good... Barrel band screw was rough though...

I also thought there were two screws, probably another example of cutting production costs

I got a reasonable deal on it... Probably a wash after getting the front sight sorted out

lost me.
first screw looked broken now it looks good?
Its a newer Marlin?
Another post asked about the head of the screw & if it looked like someone had a rough time with it. The head looks fine.

Where it looks broken is in the hole pictured, the hole is very shallow, maybe 1/32 inch...

16810079400117903635697550880213.jpg 16810080139533037866709609662007.jpg

So, I know the JM Marlins are ideal, right?
Okay, but how bad are the new ones, really?

Ive had a Remlin 336 in the past, put a few hundred through it with no problems...

BUT...

I picked one up from the classifoeds here today and its a newer model... Stocks looked pretty light so I thought Id strip them and refinish...

In taking things apart to get the wood off... Looks like the front sight screw stripped and someone epoxied the sight back on and dumped it off on unsuspecting members...

Or

Are these sights epoxied and screwed to the barrel at the factory and this is just a factory error?

Looks like screw is broken off, but cant tell.

Anyone else ever have the front sight off on one of these? Whats it look like?
I dont want to mess with it until I know what its original state should be

View attachment 1400472 View attachment 1400473
Purchased a Remlin 336Y about 10 years ago.
They were roughly machined, bead blasted blued, and generally poorly fitted. But mine turned out fine after literally a whole day of filing, stoning and polishing.
Had it apart down to the last screw and roll pin.

No, as poorly machined and fitted as the Remlins are, the front sight wasn't glued on. In fact the hole has a flat bottom as if milled, and they obviously used a bottoming, thread forming tap, as opposed to a cutting tap.

I would just have a smith retap the front sight screw hole and use a new screw. Heat will melt the epoxy and you can 0000 steel wool the crap away. Looks like the front sight isn't plastic so you should be good to go.
BTW the whole epoxy thing screams Bubba with a decent screwdriver but a bad metallurgical screw. I've had a Swedish Mauser with a bad metallurgical screw… head turned right off. It happens.

They bought the brand and any/all liability issues.
No, they bought a NAME and assets - and none of the liability issues.

Absolutely no reason or need for Ruger to take on Remington's prior problems. None whatsoever.

Product warranty is on the manufacturer who made the gun - and that was not Ruger.

Last Edited:
And it wasn't made by today's Remington company, either.

In 2020, RemArms acquired the Remington Firearms legacy manufacturing facility in Ilion, NY and the proud opportunity to build Remington firearms. Our new company, RemArms, is designing, producing and shipping new Remington firearms to our dealers and customers accross the country each and every day.

Bruce

I would just have a smith retap the front sight screw hole and use a new screw. Heat will melt the epoxy and you can 0000 steel wool the crap away. Looks like the front sight isn't plastic so you should be good to go.
BTW the whole epoxy thing screams Bubba with a decent screwdriver but a bad metallurgical screw. I've had a Swedish Mauser with a bad metallurgical screw… head turned right off. It happens.
Just a question
Do manufacturers use loctite at all? (Context of older style rifles like this) I haven't gotten into these. Just curious on the comment about metallurgy. Would bubba consider using heat to remove fasteners from factory. Or is thread locker aftermarket only? For whatever reasons.

The stuff under the sight is not locktite. It appears to be epoxy/JB weld. I suspect someone might have stripped the threads or it had already fallen off once and decided to glue it on. I know Tikka uses an adhesive under their picatinny scope mounts. I would be surprised if Rem had not used locktite on the screw originally but no, I doubt the sight was epoxied on at factory. I could be wrong. Might bounce the question off Velzey. He knows everything.

Clean up the barrel, use a filler screw from the receiver for the front sight hole, and scope the rifle.
That will be the cheapest route (unless you buy high end glass)

I dont see that as factory, original owner broke the screw and epoxied the sight on then passed it on without telling.

I personally would contact Ruger first. At the very least they repair that sight properly. Even better if they bring it back up to speed adding the second screw mount.

If Ruger doesnt want to help then Id take it to a gun smith and have them back the broken screw out and replace the front sight proper. A lever gun without its iron sights just isnt right for me even if I use a scope on the Marlins it needs those iron sights. The gun is a timeless clasic and worth it to restore it.

Kind of looks like someone was trying to keep that sight on the gun. I don't believe that a factory rifle would look like that even the Remington Marlins were not that bad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top