JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
O.K. so shortly after selling my MK9 I started regretting the decision, so I ended up getting a new PM40 to use for C.C.. My biggest complaint with the MK was how much it weighs, I think the PM addresses that problem nicely. So now I am starting to think about C.C. ammo. Specifically I was wondering if there is any particular ammo that performs better in short barrels like the PM. Recoil also might be a concern, since this gun is so small and light. I currently plan on packing Golden Sabers in 180gr. but I am open to suggestions.
DSC01425-1.jpg

I don't think that they are all that picky as long as they are broke in. IIRC Speer makes a short barrel version of thier 180 gr Gold Dot, might be tough to find localy. I'd just get some 165 gr bondeds, Gold Dot, Hydrashock, Golden Sabre, etc. Maybe look into the 155s too.

I'd go with some 165 gr. HST, or if you can't find that (available online only), then go with the 165 gr. Winchester Ranger Bonded (RA40BA). I like the 165 grainers because they still maintain the velocity. In the 180 grain, they seem to drop the velocity substantially in the shorter barrel.

Thanks for the replies. From my experience with my MK9 I figured this would pretty much eat everything. Mostly wondering if there was any performance advantage in different types of defensive ammo. It seems like I heard somewhere that the Hornady Critical Defense ammo was optimized for short barrels, but I might be imagining that. I finally got a chance to hit the range with it yesterday. It's quite a bit more of a handful than the MK9, but not as bad as I could have imagined. I could easily shoot 250+ rounds (without fatigue) through the MK, whereas I shot 100 through the PM (all the time I had) and could tell I was starting to feel the effects. But that's alright I know this isn't a "range gun".

I seem to remember hearing that "defensive ammunition" was a bad thing in court.
Some stuff about KNOWING that you're loading your weapon to do more damage.

With a .40, personally, I wouldnt bother with defensive ammo and just worry about it being in good shape and whatnot.
I only carrry "defensive" ammo in my ppk/s.

I seem to remember hearing that "defensive ammunition" was a bad thing in court.

With a .40, personally, I wouldnt bother with defensive ammo and just worry about it being in good shape and whatnot.

So it's ok to use in a PPK/S? What other pistols fall into this catagory?

I feel fairly safe that I'd be able to defend the choice of "defensive" ammo to defend myself and my family in a court of law. I understand what you are saying, but there is always something that I'd have to defend in a court of law, i.e why a .40 when there is 9mm,.38,380,32,25.? Why an "evil" automatic loading pistol when you could have had a revolver? I'd definitely stay away from "Dirty Harry" hand loads, armor piercing rounds, Black Talons, etc but I also want something that will not fizzle if it comes to defending my life.

Not that it's ok to use, But in a .380 i wanted the +p,( at the time.)
I carry a ruger sr9 (9mm) with fmj now.

Here's a clip from internetarmory.com/
"The 9 mm is the world's most popular pistol cartridge. In FMJ, with a one shot stopping success of only 63%, the 9 mm is not a superlative manstopper. Use ball ammunition for practice only. Use JHP for self defense."

Which makes me think of another question one might be faced with in court. "Why did you shoot the alleged attacker multiple times?"

As with the poster who broached the topic, most gun forum members have heard the idea that using high powered ammo is something that will get you convicted in court. It is hard not to hear it since someone brings it up all the time. The truth of the matter seems to be that it is nothing but an old wive's tale. I have been involved in many discussions about this very topic and not once have I seen a single precedent cited where this ever has been true. It just does not seem to have ever actually happened and is based more on hypothetical ramblings of bored gun mag writers and internet bloggers than it is on reality.

Thats kinda comforting to hear actually.

All I know is what I've "heard".

As for 9mm not having enough "stopping power" or whatever, I don't play into that at all.
Besides, with 17+1 I'm not terribly worried anyway.

I also have a PM40 and bought it just for the carry aspect. It is a sweet gun and after puting a few rounds down range am not really worried about what ammo to run in it. I have always usually carried a hollow point of some kind in my .40s but lately have just put whatever in them.

Thats kinda comforting to hear actually.

All I know is what I've "heard".

As for 9mm not having enough "stopping power" or whatever, I don't play into that at all.
Besides, with 17+1 I'm not terribly worried anyway.

17+1? Who do you think you are, Dirty Harry?:s0114: Some states don't even allow more than 10 round magazines, considering it to be OVERKILL.