JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Captain O,
Yes, I still have the original parts, such as they are. A potbelly stock and hand guard aren't the most flattering. Also the original sights are bagged up. I would most likely have thought differently about doing such a thing to a Carbine, if I didn't have those nice two in the vault. My original thought was for whatever the amount of money one wants to spend, I would still want an original. No matter the condition. Cheers.
Phred

I too if I had more money to play with like to have one that was original. Not really sure why, just because it would be cool. If I did I would have to have one as a shooter though too like you did. I am not into collecting but it would be cool as hell to have one of these like mentioned then another one to shoot. Have not had one in decades and even back then they always got a lot of looks, questions, and can I try's, at the range. As time go buy they get even harder to see around. Imagine many of them now ride a safe. :D

I watched a review where the new owner raved about the M1 carbine he bought, so I thought I would see about buying one. They were over $1000. I don't think that little rifle is worth that much, so I never went beyond looking at them.
At the 1K price point I don't ever see them flying off the shelves. As the originals get harder to find though there is going to be some wanting one as a shooter. The damn little rifles are fun to shoot. None of this stuff is ever going to be for "everyone" of course.

Originals are nice! They shoot reasonably well and are "tough as nails". The only reason that I bought an Auto Ordnance is, (a) I could afford it, (b) if it broke, I could obtain a receiver (aftermarket) at a reasonable cost, (c) it is not as expensive as a New Inland M1 Carbine, (d) the $1300.00 James River Armory (Rockola) and $1700.00 Fulton Armory M1 Carbines are great, but I paid $820.00 and will probably enjoy it for the rest of my days.

Buy what you want, build what you want, but please don't BS me. I have done my homework... and I'm not delusional.

Originals are nice! They shoot reasonably well and are "tough as nails". The only reason that I bought an Auto Ordnance is, (a) I could afford it, (b) if it broke, I could obtain a receiver (aftermarket) at a reasonable cost, (c) it is not as expensive as a New Inland M1 Carbine, (d) the $1300.00 James River Armory (Rockola) and $1700.00 Fulton Armory M1 Carbines are great, but I paid $820.00 and will probably enjoy it for the rest of my days.

Buy what you want, build what you want, but please don't BS me. I have done my homework... and I'm not delusional.
Some for who knows what reason use the net as a fantasy world. Did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night and don't claim a degree in Psychology so who knows "why". Mom and Dad did't pay enough attention or kids beat them up, who knows who cares. Once one of them proves they are just making stuff up it's time to just ignore it. Since they are living a fantasy you can't "get through to them". Its kind of sad sometimes. Some may be just bored and have watched too much TV, who knows.:confused:

Until this thread I did not realize several places were making these again. As always happens when I start looking at these I start wanting one again. Another of those "why did I sell that gun" moments.:eek: Damn you guys!!:):)

I enjoy the M1 Carbine because the 7.62 x 33 is an effective cartridge. (Don't let people lie to you, it kills well out to 200 yards). Underwood's 85-grain "Extreme Cavitator" load is outstanding! This load optimizes cavitation without sacrificing penetration. This is my "go to" load for personal defense. (It also serves well in the field, providing both penetration and cavitation. What's not to like?

The .30 Carbine is no slouch for taking small game and, properly loaded, will take Whitetail deer out to 100 yards without excessive effort. Don't sell the "light rifle" short. It has its place and has been serving well for almost 76 years.

Tangential question for those with M1 Carbines, original or otherwise, what is your source of magazines (15 and 30-rounders)? If I went with this option, that would be the first thing I load up on in a big way.

Actually, anything that uses a removable box magazine, I have an unofficial policy of going magazine gonzo. If for no other reason that the clowns we have in elected office here in the Beaver state.

Thanks much.

Tangential question for those with M1 Carbines, original or otherwise, what is your source of magazines (15 and 30-rounders)? If I went with this option, that would be the first thing I load up on in a big way.

Actually, anything that uses a removable box magazine, I have an unofficial policy of going magazine gonzo. If for no other reason that the clowns we have in elected office here in the Beaver state.

Thanks much.

I have never had a problem with original GI 15 round magazines.
My source is wherever I find them.

If you want to use 30 round magazines you need to have a 30 round magazine catch. With the extra finger to support loaded30 round mags.
Most GI guns don't have this. Not sure about clones?

gi30magcatch.jpg

Thanks Medic! I too don't see any reason to not just use originals, though, assuming they work, I'm not opposed to aftermarket. I'm curious as to what vendors to look at as I like to buy in bulk when it comes to mags. When I went AR, for example, it necessitated a storage project. :s0019:

I have some mags from Taiwan that work and some from Korea that load okay, but I have not shot. ProMags are made in the USA, but they don't work.

Thanks much.

If you hurry, you can get some good 30 round magazines from keepshooting.com. I would get a move on before Governor "****stain" Brown makes a move on our magazines!

keepshooting.com Item SKU# (IMP 0005) Telephone # 1 (877) 703-2767

Last Edited:
I have some mags from Taiwan that work and some from Korea that load okay, but I have not shot. ProMags are made in the USA, but they don't work.

Thanks for the info. Yah, my experience with ProMags has been mixed. Some I've found to be rock solid reliable. Others a POS that ended up in the trash in short order.

If you hurry, you can get some good 30 round magazines from keepshooting.com. I would get a move on before Governor "****stain" Brown makes a move on our magazines!

Thanks for the heads up. And Governor ____stain sounds about right. ;)

Thanks Medic! I too don't see any reason to not just use originals, though, assuming they work, I'm not opposed to aftermarket. I'm curious as to what vendors to look at as I like to buy in bulk when it comes to mags. When I went AR, for example, it necessitated a storage project. :s0019:

I have had problems with aftermarket.
But to be honest I haven't tried any aftermarket offerings in over a decade.
So maybe there are some good ones out there these days?

I enjoy the M1 Carbine because the 7.62 x 33 is an effective cartridge. (Don't let people lie to you, it kills well out to 200 yards). Underwood's 85-grain "Extreme Cavitator" load is outstanding! This load optimizes cavitation without sacrificing penetration. This is my "go to" load for personal defense. (It also serves well in the field, providing both penetration and cavitation. What's not to like?

The .30 Carbine is no slouch for taking small game and, properly loaded, will take Whitetail deer out to 100 yards without excessive effort. Don't sell the "light rifle" short. It has its place and has been serving well for almost 76 years.
I surprised a lot of shooters back when I was playing with the M1's. They had a rep as worthless that was passed down from word of mouth. This was of course because most had only ever shot them with the GI Ball ammo. With my loads I showed others the little light rifle was capable of far more than they thought. Back then there was still LOT's of cheaper ammo around for fun. I don't remember ever seeing anything commercially loaded other than the ball ammo. It was a snap to roll your own loads for though. All this is making me want one again. Dammit! :eek:

Underwood's "Extreme Cavitator" launches a custom 85-grain bullet at 2100 fps, generating 832 fpe and it penetrates 22.5" of ballistic gelatin. Look up how well these perform on slow motion (high-speed) cameras and see how much tissue is disrupted without sacrificing penetration.

These "bad boys" deliver!

Underwood's "Extreme Cavitator" launches a custom 85-grain bullet at 2100 fps, generating 832 fpe and it penetrates 22.5" of ballistic gelatin. Look up how well these perform on slow motion (high-speed) cameras and see how much tissue is disrupted without sacrificing penetration.

These "bad boys" deliver!
Sounds like a wicked good load for this old standby. Turn it into a real serious defensive and or small game rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top