JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No. I see myself paying under $850 [$417 from the CMP]for a gun you say would cost $4000 to make today.
And I've seen myself do it many times. :D

But you go ahead and pay $1200 for the new made one.

[I can do this all day]. :s0108:

The CMP hasn't had any M1 Carbines in more than 11 months (closer to a year). Finding a decent USGI M1 Carbine at reasonable prices is becoming less and less likely.

You have to stay on top of this to understand what's been taking place over the last year.

Try to keep up.

I bought one of these. It is a very nice rifle, and as mentioned a real treat to shoot. Being only 5.5 pounds empty it's weird picking it up for the first time. Ammo is a little spendy, for a frugal(read cheap) person like me, though it can be had for as little as $17.00 and change/50 on line. That is for plinking FMJ stuff. I will reload for it eventually.

I don't know if you'll find them on the shelf anywhere. After I saw the Inland in a gun rag and decided I had to have one I went to Kieth's here in PDX and ordered it. I think I paid $979.00 for it. If had to do this over again, knowing what I know now, I would have looked at the antique/military firearms shows and got a rebuilt original. Form what I've learned those guns never had corrosive ammo through them, and the odds of a shot out barrel are slim. Unlike an M1 Garand.

I've seen USGI .30 carbines in nice shape from $750.00 to about $1100.00. Those are guns that have a mix of manufacturers parts. For an all original, matching # gun you're probably looking at $1600.00 plus. If anyone wants to correct me, that's fine! I'm actually considering, if the chance presented it's self, getting an original and selling the new Inland. There's just something about the original, that the new is missing. Member @Medic! tried talking me into an original when I questioned the board before I bought the new inland. I'm not disappointed, but have since realized that Medic! did make good sense.

The price you list is what I'm seeing. If you want a shooter of course the mixed parts will be just what you want. See quite a few of them on the auctions still. Start biding on one. Since you have one now to shoot you can bid at the low end until you hit one. As long as the seller has a good record I would not be worried about it. Parts for these are not as plentiful as they used to be of course. Still would not be hard if you needed to buy something though. I personally would kind of like another one of these. If I was to buy one I would look for a mixed bag one since an original is worth a LOT more. I would just want one to shoot.

My 2 cents on new vs. originals.

If you really are wanting a GI gun ... get a GI gun.
The replica may be fine guns ... But they still wont be a GI gun.
And if one of the big drives for you to have a Carbine is the GI issue part ... coming close is not the same as , the real deal 100% GI issue.

The all original parts vs. mixmaster parts doesn't bother me.
These guns are from the 40's and 50's ... and just like a issue gun today if a part wears or breaks , the armorer reaches into the parts bin and fixes the gun , the replacement part is still GI no matter if it doesn't match the name on the receiver.
Its part of the gun's history ... the GI gun actually went and did something... that matters to me.

Again ... I am sure the replica Carbines are just fine guns .
But in my experience the replicas often fall short in the overall look and feel of the gun they are trying to copy.

Since the two in this case cost about the same ... I'd vote for a GI issue carbine.
Andy

The CMP hasn't had any M1 Carbines in more than 11 months (closer to a year). Finding a decent USGI M1 Carbine at reasonable prices is becoming less and less likely.

You have to stay on top of this to understand what's been taking place over the last year.

Try to keep up.

The CMP has them right now!

Try and keep up. :D

Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

And I see them in almost every gun store in town.
That's where I've bought most.o_O

[Like I said. All Day] ;)

Last Edited:
The CMP has them right now!

Try and keep up. :D

Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

And I see them in almost every gun store in town.
That's where I've bought most.o_O

[Like I said. All Day] ;)

Following the link you posted they show 4. 2 with lowest current bid of $901. Still days left bidding. Someone said they were going for half that. If they are going for half that I would be looking real hard at one. I have no doubt they are easy to find at shops too but at what price?

Following the link you posted they show 4. 2 with lowest current bid of $901. Still days left bidding. Someone said they were going for half that. If they are going for half that I would be looking real hard at one. I have no doubt they are easy to find at shops too but at what price?

Learn to fish! Old WWII guns are all over out there.

Nobody said buying old guns was simple?
But learning about them is rewarding. ;)

If you don't want to do your homework. Just go buy a Clone.
They say ''Ignorance is bliss''. :D

Last Edited:
Learn to fish! Old WWII guns are all over out there.

Nobody said buying old guns was simple?
But learning about them is rewarding. ;)

If you don't want to do your homework. Just go buy a Clone.
They say ''Ignorance is bliss''. :D
So this went from the CMP has them for $400, to you buy them all the time for that, to it's my fault? So in other words you got caught making up some BS story. Ignorance is certainly bliss.

I have never seen a USGI Carbine at a local store in three years, must not go to the right ones. So I did buy a new Inland carbine, what they call 1945 model, I fired it and it shot the USGI 15 round magazine just great. Then I tried to shoot the 'ProMag' 15 and 30 round magazines, they only fed one or two rounds. I had some magazines from Taiwan and they worked well. I have some untested Korean magazines that loaded well (ProMags did not) I need to shoot them. Love the gun and it even has a 'Cartouche' .

The USGI M1 Carbines are excellent Light Rifles, but the prices are becoming excessive. I may be nostalgic, but I'm not throwing money around that I can't afford.

Rebuilding and M1 Carbine is a fine project if you have the time, money and facilities to do so. If you buy a USGI specimen for $1200.00 and put $400.00 into it, that is all well and good. Some of don't have the facilities to rebuild an M1 Carbine, nor have we the wherewithal to have these operations performed by a professional gunsmith.

These are the conditions that prevail.

It would take pages and pages to explore all the NFA rules on the M2 Carbine. Easy to search out lots of topics. All the stuff would take a book to explain. Good luck.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This is the usual legal declaration that the M2 Carbine is legal to own and shoot in SW OR USA. Laws vary.

It would take pages and pages to explore all the NFA rules on the M2 Carbine. Easy to search out lots of topics. All the stuff would take a book to explain. Good luck.

True that. Around the 2013-ish era, I looked long and hard at the M2, and, sure enough, there are more twists than a pretzel factory in that field. Very cool carbines though.

FWIW, I have three carbines ( had six, but had to sell three for medical expenses ). Of those three, two are collector safe queens. An all correct type I 1942 Inland, and a nice mid war Rock-Ola. I also had a number of parts, so I built up a mix-master MI I call an ARMI. It has an Inland trigger group and receiver, and a new Criterion barrel. A choate stock, Amega "scout" rail type hand guard, and since I'm 66 and my eyes are NFG, a 1x red dot. Total cost for my home grown shooter was around $600.00. I still have a number of guns, including an LMT AR, but this remains the most fun gun per dollar I have. I reload so ammo is not a concern. For a Carbine it's also very accurate. You can have a fun, good shooting MI for reasonable money. Did I mention how fun it is to shoot? Plus, it gets a lot of questions at the range. People can't believe it when they learn it's basically a stock 1943 MI Carbine. My 2 cents.

AR-M1 Left Side Full (Large).jpg MI Target (Large).JPG

FWIW, I have three carbines ( had six, but had to sell three for medical expenses ). Of those three, two are collector safe queens. An all correct type I 1942 Inland, and a nice mid war Rock-Ola. I also had a number of parts, so I built up a mix-master MI I call an ARMI. It has an Inland trigger group and receiver, and a new Criterion barrel. A choate stock, Amega "scout" rail type hand guard, and since I'm 66 and my eyes are NFG, a 1x red dot. Total cost for my home grown shooter was around $600.00. I still have a number of guns, including an LMT AR, but this remains the most fun gun per dollar I have. I reload so ammo is not a concern. For a Carbine it's also very accurate. You can have a fun, good shooting MI for reasonable money. Did I mention how fun it is to shoot? Plus, it gets a lot of questions at the range. People can't believe it when they learn it's basically a stock 1943 MI Carbine. My 2 cents.

View attachment 337610 View attachment 337611

Very good. I hope that you preserved the original stock and other accouterments.

Good shooting!

Arf The Wonder Chicken approves of that target. ;)

Though it is on a somewhat similar topic and part of my researching of a pistol-caliber(ish) carbine, I thought it better to start a new thread than derail the Marlin Camp Carbine one.

Anyone have the scoop on the newly manufactured M1 Carbines produced by Inland?* Good, bad, or ugly? Thanks!

* Like so:
View attachment 336861
I watched a review where the new owner raved about the M1 carbine he bought, so I thought I would see about buying one. They were over $1000. I don't think that little rifle is worth that much, so I never went beyond looking at them.

Captain O,
Yes, I still have the original parts, such as they are. A potbelly stock and hand guard aren't the most flattering. Also the original sights are bagged up. I would most likely have thought differently about doing such a thing to a Carbine, if I didn't have those nice two in the vault. My original thought was for whatever the amount of money one wants to spend, I would still want an original. No matter the condition. Cheers.
Phred

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads