JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The NFA rules on M2 Carbines are very complicated, involved and non logical. I will not quite say they resemble a bucket of snakes. Many paths lead up to the spring of knowledge regarding fun legal M2 Carbine ownership.

To summarize here a rare LEGAL Flemming, (Grants Pass OR) REGISTERED valuable mint M2 trigger housing is one of those paths usually not taken, but perfectly legal to do so. NOT a gray NFA area. The tax stamp exists.

All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This means that the M2 Carbine is perfectly legal to own and shoot in Oregon. Also legal to carry across State Lines with that permission slip. A fun little buzz gun indeed. :)

If you want a "GI spec" M1 Carbine that is new and won't exceed $1650.00 James River Armory's "Rockola" M1 Carbine is excellent and exceeds the old GI Cabine in accuracy. It is a true "light rifle" in every sense of the phrase.

Buy one. You will not be sorry.

I forgot to mention that the James River Armory M1 "Rockola" Carbines are using new forged receivers and "match" barrels can be ordered. (These are not necessary because the carbine can't hold to that level of accuracy). After 200 yards, the 7.62 x 33 quickly "runs out of gas".

Last Edited:
Yep ... USGI M1 Carbines are a fun little light rifle. Quite addictive. Right now the gages and special tool count is well over 10 and getting out of hand. The neat thing about the USGI M1 Carbine is that it can be legally converted to a select fire M2 Carbine.

When everything is within specification the little buzz gun is 100% reliable and will zip for 10,000 rounds or more. The down side is that it is $expensive$ to shoot. Hand loading again being explored. All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. :)

Please tell me more on how easy it is to convert an M1 into a legal M2.

Though it is on a somewhat similar topic and part of my researching of a pistol-caliber(ish) carbine, I thought it better to start a new thread than derail the Marlin Camp Carbine one.

Anyone have the scoop on the newly manufactured M1 Carbines produced by Inland?* Good, bad, or ugly? Thanks!

* Like so:
View attachment 336861

I bought one of these. It is a very nice rifle, and as mentioned a real treat to shoot. Being only 5.5 pounds empty it's weird picking it up for the first time. Ammo is a little spendy, for a frugal(read cheap) person like me, though it can be had for as little as $17.00 and change/50 on line. That is for plinking FMJ stuff. I will reload for it eventually.

I don't know if you'll find them on the shelf anywhere. After I saw the Inland in a gun rag and decided I had to have one I went to Kieth's here in PDX and ordered it. I think I paid $979.00 for it. If had to do this over again, knowing what I know now, I would have looked at the antique/military firearms shows and got a rebuilt original. Form what I've learned those guns never had corrosive ammo through them, and the odds of a shot out barrel are slim. Unlike an M1 Garand.

I've seen USGI .30 carbines in nice shape from $750.00 to about $1100.00. Those are guns that have a mix of manufacturers parts. For an all original, matching # gun you're probably looking at $1600.00 plus. If anyone wants to correct me, that's fine! I'm actually considering, if the chance presented it's self, getting an original and selling the new Inland. There's just something about the original, that the new is missing. Member @Medic! tried talking me into an original when I questioned the board before I bought the new inland. I'm not disappointed, but have since realized that Medic! did make good sense.

I bought one of these. It is a very nice rifle, and as mentioned a real treat to shoot. Being only 5.5 pounds empty it's weird picking it up for the first time. Ammo is a little spendy, for a frugal(read cheap) person like me, though it can be had for as little as $17.00 and change/50 on line. That is for plinking FMJ stuff. I will reload for it eventually.

I don't know if you'll find them on the shelf anywhere. After I saw the Inland in a gun rag and decided I had to have one I went to Kieth's here in PDX and ordered it. I think I paid $979.00 for it. If had to do this over again, knowing what I know now, I would have looked at the antique/military firearms shows and got a rebuilt original. Form what I've learned those guns never had corrosive ammo through them, and the odds of a shot out barrel are slim. Unlike an M1 Garand.

I've seen USGI .30 carbines in nice shape from $750.00 to about $1100.00. Those are guns that have a mix of manufacturers parts. For an all original, matching # gun you're probably looking at $1600.00 plus. If anyone wants to correct me, that's fine! I'm actually considering, if the chance presented it's self, getting an original and selling the new Inland. There's just something about the original, that the new is missing. Member @Medic! tried talking me into an original when I questioned the board before I bought the new inland. I'm not disappointed, but have since realized that Medic! did make good sense.

Ya. That Medic is a smart guy. :D
But I'm beginning to think he was a bit short sighted on his opinion of folks getting 30 carbine clones?

It puts a 30 carbines in peoples hands.
And then the bug for the real thing bites! ;)

I hate to correct you Mike, but even "Mixmasters" worth shooting are beginning to cost between $1000.00 $1200.00 Everyone wants a USGI rifle. While the barrels may not be "shot out" a large number of rounds may have been run through them. The new Green Mountain barrels are good replacements New forged receivers are available so the coveted USGI forged receivers are a more historic collectible, rather than a necessity for good shooting. There are new M1 Carbines that will serve as long, or longer than old USGI units.

I hate to correct you Mike, but even "Mixmasters" worth shooting are beginning to cost between $1000.00 $1200.00 Everyone wants a USGI rifle. While the barrels may not be "shot out" a large number of rounds may have been run through them. The new Green Mountain barrels are good replacements New forged receivers are available so the coveted USGI forged receivers are a more historic collectible, rather than a necessity for good shooting. There are new M1 Carbines that will serve as long, or longer than old USGI units.

I still see GI 30 carbines for $650-$850 with good to like new barrels.

Here's a hint. Keep an eye out for import marked carbines. There cheaper. ;)
Collectors turn up there nose at these guns. But they are [Other than marked]an all GI gun.

As to how long the new receivers will last?
Get back to me when they have proven themselves for 70+ years. :D

I still see GI 30 carbines for $650-$850 with good to like new barrels.

Here's a hint. Keep an eye out for import marked carbines. There cheaper. ;)
Collectors turn up there nose at these guns. But they are [Other than marked]an all GI gun.

As to how long the new receivers will last?
Get back to me when they have proven themselves for 70+ years. :D

There are two companies that are forging receivers: Fulton Armory and James RIver Armory. Fulton is forging theirs from 8620 billet steel so is James River Armory. You can pooh-pooh these are you like, but the modern barrels, properly mounted, shoot as well, or better than the old USGI units.

Anything, properly built, can be improved with modern technology.

Time marches on.

There are two companies that are forging receivers: Fulton Armory and James RIver Armory. Fulton is forging theirs from 8620 billet steel so is James River Armory. You can pooh-pooh these are you like, but the modern barrels, properly mounted, shoot as well, or better than the old USGI units.

Anything, properly built, can be improved with modern technology.

Time marches on.

OK then. Who's inspection process did they pass? :D

DSCN3563 (2).JPG

I have it on good authority that if you were to build a new M1 Carbine the "old school" way, it would cost about $4000.00. (This came from a man that has rebuilt/refurbished/repaired more than 1000 M1 Carbines in his Central Nevada shop).

Remember: The US Government was paying to have these manufactured 6,000,000+ at a time.

Do you see yourself purchasing a new M1 Carbine for that sum?

I didn't think so.

Last Edited:
I have it on good authority that if you were to build a new M1 Carbine the "old school" way, it would cost about $4000.00. (This came from a man that has rebuilt/refurbished/repaired more than 1000 M1 Carbines in his Central Nevada shop.

Do you see yourself purchasing a new M1 Carbine for that sum?

I didn't think so.

No. I see myself paying under $850 [$417 from the CMP]for a gun you say would cost $4000 to make today.
And I've seen myself do it many times. :D

But you go ahead and pay $1200 for the new made one.

[I can do this all day]. :s0108:

Last Edited:
The Government had the full force of the people behind them prodicing this arm. Today, it is the AR rifle. Unless the US Military demands production of these arms it it bloody unlikely that we'll see these come back to these levels again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top