JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is this a range you would utilize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I live 5 miles from BeaverCreek Armory and can't justify going there. Between their ammo /fees, their lane fees and their targets it costs me $50- $100 per visit. And that's whether you are a member or not. I do pay to be a member at Johnson Creek Gun Club. It is $165 for the year and shoot any paper target and my reloads. It makes each visit closer to $20. The original post doesn't have a location or any pricing so I didn't participate in the poll. The Portland area is large, even larger depending on traffic.

I live 5 miles from BeaverCreek Armory and can't justify going there. Between their ammo /fees, their lane fees and their targets it costs me $50- $100 per visit. And that's whether you are a member or not. I do pay to be a member at Johnson Creek Gun Club. It is $165 for the year and shoot any paper target and my reloads. It makes each visit closer to $20. The original post doesn't have a location or any pricing so I didn't participate in the poll. The Portland area is large, even larger depending on traffic.

Even though we seem to be the target audience for this kind of range, I think their target audience are the ones that go to BeaverCreek armory. when it is reviewed here, it gets consistently negative reviews. But when reviewed on google, it has mostly positive reviews. This type of fancy range would get customers who have no idea that BreaverCreek is a terrible range.

So a fancy range would get customers, just not very many of us

Last Edited:
While I will admit, it would be nice to have a range that also had a nice area to relax in and hang out afterwards, you may be aiming a little high with your options. Us Oregon / Washington folk only need the simple things to be happy for the most part it seems. Also, to steal genious from Groucho Marx ;

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" :p

While I will admit, it would be nice to have a range that also had a nice area to relax in and hang out afterwards, you may be aiming a little high with your options. Us Oregon / Washington folk only need the simple things to be happy for the most part it seems. Also, to steal genious from Groucho Marx ;

I thought that quote was from W. C. Fields, but hey, it is all the same...

For me, I am sure I would get the one Black Marble, when they "Vetted" me, I ~think~ I have a tatoo on my forehead "Not BORN with Silver Spoon", but it could be my Vivid EeMagINation... :oops: :rolleyes: :D:D:D

philipINtheBoonDocks, any body want a well chewed on Pewter Spoon????

Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club is less than $100 per year, welcomes most calibers, allows you to shoot your own ammo, has a modernized backstop and is generally available to members. Pretty simple.:)

Last Edited:
Even though we seem to be the target audience for this kind of range, I think their target audience are the ones that go to BeaverCreek armory. when it is reviewed here, it gets consistently negative reviews. But when reviewed on google, it has mostly positive reviews. This type of fancy range would get customers who have no idea that BreaverCreek is a terrible range.

Just my 2 cents,
I have been shooting at BC since it opened and it is NOT a fancy range by any measure. It is also very far from being "terrible". As to it getting bad reviews, I haven't experienced any of the negatives that I see in the reviews. Could it be better, of course, but so can anything else. It suits my need for a very close-by range where I can practice my pistol shooting at self-defense distances in a dry location. But that is all I wanted/expected when I signed up.
My average visit costs me under $20 for a lane fee and their surcharge on using my boxed ammo. I could go to DRRC and not pay the $20 but I would need to drive 96 miles RT through PDX traffic. So I usually go to DRRC on dry days when the outside temps are above 50 degrees and I take my rifles and my pistols.

Add rentals to the list of requested features. Lots of obscure and interesting rentals. I think a range like this marketed correctly could pull a bunch of new shooters into the game. More shooters equals more people fighting for our rights. A safe room children could wait in and play while their parents shoot would be great as well. Let us know when you're hiring;)!!

Do the ranges you belong to offer indoor handgun and rifle? What amenities do they offer?

One is strictly an outdoor range; not much in the way of amenities (ie, none).
But it's a great place to shoot, you are pretty much on your own. No one breathing down your neck.
Has areas for both rifle and handguns. Costs $100 a year. Fills up every year and I don't know if they
take waiting lists or not.

The second one is strictly indoor range for handguns and .22lr rifles. Decent enough place but nothing
fancy. Suits me fine. $30 a year and $3 a day range fees. They supply the targets, you bring everything else.

And just joined Tri County, very nice facility including an indoor range for .22 handguns and rifles.
I forget the dues since it's pro-rated but I think it's around $140 and no range fees.

OH OH, I know, they should have a gun cleaning service while we relax and have a few jolts of Crown Royal & puff on a stogy... yeah, yeah, that's the ticket....:eek:

That would be great. but having some idea what it costs to build and run a range, Im guessing the prices will be higher than I'd pay for a member ship. But certainly for a special occasion I'd go.

What we really need is more outdoor long ranges. Just look at the 2 year + waiting list at Try county

Hi Bolus. I was under the impression from all those I've talked with that the waiting list of 3K+ was because it was the only range around that was half way decent to shoot at.

I LOVE the idea of a well equipped, nicely thought out range with other amenities and options besides just shooting. My wife would really enjoy a place that doesn't feel dirty or that feels like it was designed for just guys. We have been to a few indoor ranges and she hasn't been real impressed with them so far, we both prefer outdoor shooting but as I have told her multiple times, a controlled environment with set distances is a really good thing too. The idea of a restauarant, wedding venue, and cigar lounge are all well and good, but as a previous poster stated, for many of us cost is literally "the bottom dollar". I would gladly pay a higher membership fee and have access to more facilities... within reason. It really does come down to membership fees, quality of services provided, and location location location! I look forward to hearing more about your endeavor and wish you the best of luck.

Thank you Dreams of Steel. We are not just a shooting range, we are a positioning ourselves as a premier destination, which has been suggested multiple times. The land we are looking into is located in Hillsboro just off of Evergreen parking, near Solar World. Right in the middle of the Silicon Forest High Tech area. Many, many men appear to enjoy a good cigar and there aren't many places to go, so we wanted to offer the cigar and scotch lounge. There are no member fee's to use the cigar lounge, the retail shop or the restaurant. Members would be given priority consideration, but we'd still be open to the general public as well. There are many other services we will be providing and as soon as we have our first round of funding our website will be posted with all the particulars. :)

Outdoor range with lots of covered areas would appeal to me. 200 yard plus rifle range, 50 yard range w/ ability to shoot shorter ranges for pistol, shotgun and archery would be great also. Would not be willing to pay more than $200 per year but would be willing to volunteer a set number of hours per year at range. Cost and availability of ammo has more effect on how much I shoot in the woods nowadays. I would rather pay a bit more each visit than have a membership.
I really like Clark Rifles range to shoot.
http://clarkrifles.com
DRRC is a very nice place but there's a waiting list and price is a bit steep.
http://www.douglasridge.org/index.html
When I lived in the Seattle area Kenmore range was nice. Can be very busy.
http://www.wcwinc.org

Thank you Scalps for the additional sites, will definitely check them out.

Hi Bolus. I was under the impression from all those I've talked with that the waiting list of 3K+ was because it was the only range around that was half way decent to shoot at.

Its one of the few rifle ranges with any distance close to Portland. Im a member over at The Place to Shoot. Fine indoor range, nice people. Cant shoot any rifle ammo though. I was a member at Johnson creek indoor range but had stricter ammo limitations.

Douglas Ridge sounds like a very nice distance range but its over an hour drive each way for me.

Threat Dynamics new range allows rifle rounds, but does not have the distance range.

I would not go to your range on a regular basis for just the extra features. I'd rather spend the money on guns. I would go for a special occasion though. But I have many places to shoot handgun rounds at paper at 50 ft. But I have no local range for distance shooting rifle rounds.

Can I ~Like~ This post, Times TEN?????

I have lived in the Great PacificNorthWET half my life, the other half just a ~wee~ Bit below that nomenclature of Geo/Weather area, brisk Autumn, Strong Winters, and I was a four season motorcycle rider then...

My honest questions to the OP, are:

• How long have you lived in the area...
  • Have you traveled to even nearby areas and seen the near poverty levels of living.... (I know the Hillsboro, Raleigh Hills, Beaverton areas, I have family in those areas...) but outside of there.... And Not to Far.... Poverty.
  • Have you done demographics on the Shootists in the area that would be considered commuter friendly to your location.
Those would be my thoughts about a start up business such as you are suggesting.

Beyond that, the simple idea of Air Filtering to provide ~EPA~ Qualities that Will Be needed, in any Metro Area around Ptown!!!!

In fact, I will venture to say before hand, The Number ONE Issue in building in the TriCounty MetroPlex... Will be how you Filter out, then Contain all the Hazardous EPA issues....

Will you be going Totally "Green Projectiles" or will (Portland greenie shudder) "Lead" be allowed... ????
How about exausting the fumes of the Gun Powder????

In today's vehemently anti gun society, I can hardly imagine receiving a building permit.... Within your area!

Another outdoor shootist,

philip o_O

Hi Philip. I'm glad you asked. We are working with LEED to get as close to a Platinum green building as possible. The range will be broken into separate rooms, 4 lanes per room to allow for the state of the art air filtration. I don't want my employees or our guests breathing in toxic materials. What we have designed is not just a shooting range, that is only a part of it. We are also a restaurant, retail, cigar and scotch lounge and indoor archery range. The restaurant will provide outside dining on a covered patio over looking the gardens. The acreage will be available for event rentals, weddings, etc. The land we have found is zoned industrial and is in the vicinity of the high tech businesses, ie: Intel, Nike, Solar World, Genentech, etc.

I have driven to all the ranges within 90 miles and didn't see anything that came close to offering what we are proposing. I purchased a detailed market report specifically for this area from NSSF and the data supports the model. I hope addressed all your bullet points. Thank you so much for the feedback.

I don't live in South America like you folks:D, I live in Federal Way were a little over a year ago Federal Way Discount Gun moved to a new building, spent over a million dollars on a ventilation system and offers indoor shooting. Even though this place is 4 miles from my house I am a lifetime Gold member at West Coast Armory. In all, there are 4 bays. One is handguns only and is 20 yards & has 12 lanes. 2 bays are 25 yards with at least 10 lanes each and then there is the LE bay which is the size of the other bays but no lanes. This is where they have the AR league every Friday.
I've been to a lot of indoor ranges and most are dumps but this place is spotless. My membership cost me $750 and every time I go in they hand me 4 targets and say "have fun" for free. My yearly dues are $75 of which I am there at least once a week (twice weekly during the crappy months).
Here is their link:
http://www.westcoastarmory.com/
You gotta have deep pockets to build one but "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME" ;)

Hi Classic. Thank you for the feedback.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads