JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is this a range you would utilize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Too much money for my blood. Looks like THE "McMenamin's" of gun ranges.

I stumbled on this place when we were visiting family in Utah http://www.getsomeguns.com/. I know, it doesn't have long range, but it's affordable for most/many. Build the range, but do it with a mind toward affordable for the most people. A simple steel building with state of the art filtration and a pleasing interior.

No need for all the "Elite Country Club" amenities. Your own private cigar locker, in a humidor, for $300.00 a month???? Even IF I had that kind of money.....I STILL wouldn't like being anywhere near those kind of people!

Mike

I don't live in South America like you folks:D, I live in Federal Way were a little over a year ago Federal Way Discount Gun moved to a new building, spent over a million dollars on a ventilation system and offers indoor shooting. Not too shabby!
I would avoid West Coast Armory, they will accuse you of stealing your own brass even though their rules say you can pick up your brass as long as it doesn't go forward of the firing line.

You gotta have deep pockets to build one but "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME" ;)

Last Edited:
The type of facility you are describing would be insanely expensive and I would not be interested unless it had something other ranges don't offer. Maybe some indoor space for simunition or airsoft force on force type classes ?

Food service is a pretty low margin business and weddings seems like a totally different target audience.

"We are called Stonebridge Shooting Academy.. and will offer the following.."
It seems disingenuous to say that you are something when you are not now anything. anyway

I gave up the idea of joining a Portland area range a while back. I need a range that first and foremost lets me move and shoot defensive pistol/rifle without having to hire a trainer or join a competition. I need to be able to shoot my own ammo. I'm not going to pay more than $100/year, I don't need cigar rooms... sheesh you can buy a new gun each year for the cost of the govenorsclub membership, crazy.

You seem to be catering to a very specific demographic, which makes up a small percentage of the population of the area, and likely an even smaller percentage of this site (no offense to anyone here). I think your poll is going to be skewed towards the negative for those reasons. I think there's definitely a need for more ranges, but not of this sort. I can't see you coming out ahead. The type of people with that sort of disposable income probably already own a substantial amount of property that they can shoot on. Personally, I can't see you coming out ahead with a more affordable range either. The capital investment and overhead seem way too high for a nice indoor range that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... and that's supposing you could get through the endless bureaucratic hoops the city would make you jump through.

OP, you sound like your asking the general public a question more suited to the top 5%.

When I moved here, from Reno NV, I had no real idea of where or how I was to continue my hobby and passion of firearms. Once settled, I realized this area is nothing like Reno. There are more hunters and collectors than active shooters. I know this from working at a large retailer in the industry. Now the area is gaining more active target shooters, but no where near other areas.

So I began to look for places to shoot. Ranges are usually on the top of the list ,as I had Palomino Valley within minutes of my house back in NV, I was praying for the same thing here. Nope. Best resemblance was Tri-county. Which was significantly further away from where we set up roots, as well as back logged on memberships to the point of insanity. There were a few more I tried including Beavercreek. Beavercreek being the only indoor range within minutes of were we live I figured it was better then nothing. I was wrong. As for the indoor range I had back in Reno, it sucked. I have heard they have since changed this policy, but when I went they did not allow outside ammo. And there ammo was ridiculous. They were not very nice, and they made the experience very unwelcoming. I understand they were simply telling me that they don't allow outside ammo. Yet then selling me reloads anyways, but to get all "a"holish when I ask about it, is just poor business model. That was the last attempt. After that I simply spent time driving around the state forrest, marking down good shooting spots on the map.

My advice and opinion. Set up the range like an indoor RC track. Make the range/track easy to use and accessible to any economic profile. That is the reason people will come: the ease of use, price of use, and availability of use. Then, make your money elsewhere. Through a retail front of something. If you use the range for your main source of income, it will likely serve only those that can afford it, and push those that can't away.

Then again that's my 2 cents. I feel that, though active target shooters generally have disposable income, not all of us have that much disposable income. Especially these days when everything gun related is getting more and more expensive.

All those amenities aren't necessary for a good indoor range. I feel most people that go shooting are looking for a safe, friendly, cost effective, knowledgeable place to shoot. A place that offers courses/classes, gun rentals, etc. If someone wants to smoke a cigar go outside and come back in. I don't see anyone wanting to have a wedding at a range. The food idea may be a good idea. After I shoot at Bulls eye in Tacoma I go to a mom and pops cafe to eat. Onsite lockers may be useful to some. Gun lockers I don't think most people would use. A convention center may get used once in awhile but I don't think it would be a big hit. Comparing prices of a golf course to a shooting range doesn't make sense to me. Mostly different customers. I currently don't belong to a range. I don't see myself paying no more than $200 a year if/when I do. I wish you the best of luck and hope you give it a shot!

Like the majority of other posters, I'd want the emphasis put on affordable. I could afford a membership at a deluxe range as described, but I'd rather spend the money on ammo to feed my hungry MAC family.

And any range I'd visit has to allow full auto shooting, or I'd be visiting only 1 time.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, Maggie (owner of farm) noticed that the Vandals took the ( Pump) Handle when she needed some water...

(Or, IOW, where is the origanal poster) and why are their no further inputs from her????

philip, :cool: :s0104:

Funny it seems purposefully set up to not run matches. Even high end golf clubs have an occasional charity competition. For indoor rifle, you need more lanes and 50 feet. For Bullseye pistol you need 25 and 50 yards. I guess you could have smallbore matches at 100 yards, but ISSF stuff is in Meters, so you'd better have 2 target positions. Maybe people don't like to compete any more. Competition sure drives equipment sales.

I agree with most of the others. The idea is great, but by catering to a smaller demographic with "highend" you lose your biggest source of income and in Portland you just don't have the amount of high end shooters you will need to make money.
If your wanting to do it I would do a smaller scale. And look training, shooting classes, CHL classes, and functional ranges.
One of the best ranges I went to was in Kentucky at Buds Gun Shop.
They had a sweet automated steel reactive target range.
It's hard to make money in that industry. Only way to do it is to offer the best training and classes.

Portlanders spend all their barista money on tight pants and boots they don't want to get dirty.

I live in vancouver and shooting is already so expensive I'd rather head to the woods and shoot for free.

Reactive targets and moving targets. I get so tired shooting paper. That is a big reason I didn't join the local gun range. Only paper targets allowed. At the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, the choice of target is much broader than just paper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top