JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is this a range you would utilize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hi everyone,
I'd like to get some feedback from the members. Last year my husband and I were talking about indoor shooting ranges here in Oregon. To my surprise, there weren't many. I visited all the ranges within 90 miles of where I live and really didn't find anything that appealed to me, let alone any that were taking new memberships. So I started doing some investigating and found that most ranges (not all) were opened in the 1940s and 1950s and that not many new ranges have been opened, and certainly not premium ranges. What do I mean by premium? Take a look at the Frisco Gun Club, www.friscogunclub.com and the Governors Gun Club, http://www.governorsgunclub.com/. These are the types of clubs, as a woman, I would want to join. I want to pose this question to the members. Is this the type of facility you would like to see in the Portland area?

I am asking because I have created the business model (LLC, attorneys, accountant, etc), found a location, and am working with an architect on the design and layout. We are called Stonebridge Shooting Academy and will offer the following:
  • 24 lanes - 25 yards each for handguns
  • 4 lanes - 100 yards each for indoor rifle
  • indoor archery
  • 3000 sq ft of retail
  • restaurant with outdoor covered dining
  • acreage of gardens for event and wedding rental
  • cigar lounge
  • gun storage
  • onsite lockers
  • adjustable shooting tables for each shooting lane (shooting lanes will look similar to those at the Frisco Gun Club)
  • membership and non membership pricing
  • training/classes
  • specific nights for women only
  • conference center (available for rental)
Is this something you would be excited about? Is there anything else you'd like us to consider?
As I've said, we've found the 18 acre lot on which to build. I hope to have the building rendering in my hands in the next 30 days at which time I will be fundraising. Our goal is to be Oregon's Premier Range and the Premier Range in the NW.

I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

Maru Kramer

I personally love the idea but believe the cost would be prohibitive to most of us. Many areas of Oregon have not recovered from the recession as you have probably noticed. A nice gun range would be fantastic but I think foregoing the things like Cigar rooms and the like would lower the cost quite a bit.

It would all come down to cost and location. I already belong to three ranges that I like so those two factors, especially cost, are important to me.

I certainly can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the clubs you linked to are outrageously expensive! I pay $100 per year and $10 a day (with a $100 punch card) to shoot currently - that wouldn't even cover the initiation fees on the two you linked. I think it would be a good idea for you to start a poll to see how much people are paying and another to see how much they are willing to pay. My guess is that you won't find many who would pay much more than I'm paying now. Just my opinion though...

I personally love the idea but believe the cost would be prohibitive to most of us. Many areas of Oregon have not recovered from the recession as you have probably noticed. A nice gun range would be fantastic but I think foregoing the things like Cigar rooms and the like would lower the cost quite a bit.

That's what I thought too, but when investigating the price options, the area seems to support it. For example, the Reserve Golf Course costs $1000 down and $264/month ($380 for families) on the low end and full membership is $6K for individuals/$8K for families and dues from $330/month to $475/month. They have a full membership. This also applied to Pumpkin Ridge Golf, high end pricing and a full membership.
The per capita income and home prices are the same in Frisco Texas as they are here in the Portland metro area and Frisco is full in membership.

I certainly can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the clubs you linked to are outrageously expensive! I pay $100 per year and $10 a day (with a $100 punch card) to shoot currently - that wouldn't even cover the initiation fees on the two you linked. I think it would be a good idea for you to start a poll to see how much people are paying and another to see how much they are willing to pay. My guess is that you won't find many who would pay much more than I'm paying now. Just my opinion though...

Thanks LaserMan :) What amenities does the range offer that you belong to, if you don't mind me asking?

Yup - $100 per year is all I pay, no per use charge and unlimited range time.

I wouldn't even pay this if it weren't for the waiting list backlog they have.

The woods are free if you know where to go and people in portland are more or less used to outdoor sports in the rain.

I think if you made enough in retail sales then you could stay profitable but thats pretty hard to do for a one location business.

That would be great. but having some idea what it costs to build and run a range, Im guessing the prices will be higher than I'd pay for a member ship. But certainly for a special occasion I'd go.

What we really need is more outdoor long ranges. Just look at the 2 year + waiting list at Try county

I LOVE the idea of a well equipped, nicely thought out range with other amenities and options besides just shooting. My wife would really enjoy a place that doesn't feel dirty or that feels like it was designed for just guys. We have been to a few indoor ranges and she hasn't been real impressed with them so far, we both prefer outdoor shooting but as I have told her multiple times, a controlled environment with set distances is a really good thing too. The idea of a restauarant, wedding venue, and cigar lounge are all well and good, but as a previous poster stated, for many of us cost is literally "the bottom dollar". I would gladly pay a higher membership fee and have access to more facilities... within reason. It really does come down to membership fees, quality of services provided, and location location location! I look forward to hearing more about your endeavor and wish you the best of luck.

Thanks LaserMan :) What amenities does the range offer that you belong to, if you don't mind me asking?

Amenities? We don't need no stinkin' amenities! :cool:

They are a gun shop and indoor range and have a few classes - CHL & others. Nothing fancy at all, just a decent place to go make noise. Emphasis on "nothing fancy" ;)

Yup - $100 per year is all I pay, no per use charge and unlimited range time.

I wouldn't even pay this if it weren't for the waiting list backlog they have.

The woods are free if you know where to go and people in portland are more or less used to outdoor sports in the rain.

I think if you made enough in retail sales then you could stay profitable but thats pretty hard to do for a one location business.

Can I ~Like~ This post, Times TEN?????

I have lived in the Great PacificNorthWET half my life, the other half just a ~wee~ Bit below that nomenclature of Geo/Weather area, brisk Autumn, Strong Winters, and I was a four season motorcycle rider then...

My honest questions to the OP, are:

• How long have you lived in the area...
  • Have you traveled to even nearby areas and seen the near poverty levels of living.... (I know the Hillsboro, Raleigh Hills, Beaverton areas, I have family in those areas...) but outside of there.... And Not to Far.... Poverty.
  • Have you done demographics on the Shootists in the area that would be considered commuter friendly to your location.
Those would be my thoughts about a start up business such as you are suggesting.

Beyond that, the simple idea of Air Filtering to provide ~EPA~ Qualities that Will Be needed, in any Metro Area around Ptown!!!!

In fact, I will venture to say before hand, The Number ONE Issue in building in the TriCounty MetroPlex... Will be how you Filter out, then Contain all the Hazardous EPA issues....

Will you be going Totally "Green Projectiles" or will (Portland greenie shudder) "Lead" be allowed... ????
How about exausting the fumes of the Gun Powder????

In today's vehemently anti gun society, I can hardly imagine receiving a building permit.... Within your area!

Another outdoor shootist,

philip o_O

Only if ya would take my RV campground membership in trade.... Just cant seem to think of paying thousands to go to a shooting range..... just sayin...

Portland traffic sucks. I'd much rather drive out in the woods. I can smoke my cigars there too.

Forgot to say good luck, the more ranges the better. Hope you make a go of it.

Last Edited:
Outdoor range with lots of covered areas would appeal to me. 200 yard plus rifle range, 50 yard range w/ ability to shoot shorter ranges for pistol, shotgun and archery would be great also. Would not be willing to pay more than $200 per year but would be willing to volunteer a set number of hours per year at range. Cost and availability of ammo has more effect on how much I shoot in the woods nowadays. I would rather pay a bit more each visit than have a membership.
I really like Clark Rifles range to shoot.
http://clarkrifles.com
DRRC is a very nice place but there's a waiting list and price is a bit steep.
http://www.douglasridge.org/index.html
When I lived in the Seattle area Kenmore range was nice. Can be very busy.
http://www.wcwinc.org

Last Edited:
I voted no. I like indoor shooting when it's misarable but I also pay only $100 a year for an outdoor range that meets my needs. When it comes to shooting, I'm not looking for creature comforts or anemities. Good luck, though! New business start ups are exiting.

That's what I thought too, but when investigating the price options, the area seems to support it. For example, the Reserve Golf Course costs $1000 down and $264/month ($380 for families) on the low end and full membership is $6K for individuals/$8K for families and dues from $330/month to $475/month. They have a full membership. This also applied to Pumpkin Ridge Golf, high end pricing and a full membership.
The per capita income and home prices are the same in Frisco Texas as they are here in the Portland metro area and Frisco is full in membership.
The problem with using golf course pricing is that you are looking at an area that is full of California and the like transplants that are into pasture pool NOT firearms. I doubt that there would be enough interest from that group to support a high end range. I imagine most would tend to fight it being built or just concentrate on finding a way to shut it down like they are currently doing to other ranges.

What should be looked at is not Frisco Texas VS Portland but Frisco CA. VS Portland that may be a better comparison. Yes it would be great to have a nice indoor set up but I really do not see it a viable business in the most liberal area of the state. My self I just go out my back door and have a range day, no extra fees and rules to deal with.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews