JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had my eye on a BLR for a while now, and posted a thread in the hunting section about a short barreled deer/elk rifle. I decided on a .308. I originally was gonna get a stainless BLR with 20" barrel and maybe trim a few inches off to help its overall wieldiness (that's not a real word, I don't think). Then, I found out Browning made limited runs of versions called hog stalker and black label.

The hog stalker was my preference, as it came in an 18" barrel and had factory open sights.
original.img (1).jpg

The black label has a 16" barrel and a bunch of ridiculous rails and BS on it, but would be workable.
10797848_01_browning_blr_black_label_308ca_640.jpg

I like the stock better on the black label, but like the finish and iron sights on the hog stalker better. I figured I'd pick up whichever one I found first, which turned out to be the black label. Found one BNIB and went for it. I removed the rails from the forend and the barrel, and the muzzle brake. I put a thread protector on the barrel and mocked up a scope similar to what I'll probably use on it (this is a Vortex 1.75-5x). I think I'll put lightweight rings on it rather than this rail. I still want iron sights on it. The rails in the forend screwed to each other through the holes in the forend. I'm gonna fill them with something, just haven't quite found the right thing yet.

Anyway, here it is, close to how it will be carried. With a four 180 grainers in the mag, it is 8lb 2oz. With a lighter scope and mounts I figure I can get it right around 8lb. I could have done something else for cheaper, but I got the gunlust for a BLR and nothing else was gonna scratch that itch.

KIMG0164.JPG
KIMG0165.JPG

In my time I've had the opportunity to put 3 BLRs through the paces. All were .308 and all were wonderfully accurate. The BLR handles nicely and really (in my estimation) gives up nothing to a bolt gun in the hunting arena. Just for context, I think shooting game past a max of 300 yards is no longer "hunting", it's "shooting". (Kind of like the Brits define it).

Not saying anything negative about long-range game shooting, just saying the BLR will hold its own in the field within the more normal (traditional?) ranges. You should really enjoy that rifle!

It does look better to me without all the extra stuff on it. Hope you like it.

I have a standard BLR straight stock in 7-08 that I bought new about 3 years ago. It is in no way an MOA gun, and the trigger is terrible-which might account for some of the poor accuracy along with the barrel band. I still like it-the action is super smooth, and it handles like an extension of your body, but was pretty disappointed for the price those things go for about the trigger. Mine has it all: heavy, gritty, creep and overtravel. Still killed a deer fine, though, but I don't really trust it beyond 200 yards.

It does look better to me without all the extra stuff on it. Hope you like it.

I have a standard BLR straight stock in 7-08 that I bought new about 3 years ago. It is in no way an MOA gun, and the trigger is terrible-which might account for some of the poor accuracy along with the barrel band. I still like it-the action is super smooth, and it handles like an extension of your body, but was pretty disappointed for the price those things go for about the trigger. Mine has it all: heavy, gritty, creep and overtravel. Still killed a deer fine, though, but I don't really trust it beyond 200 yards.

I'm also gonna get the trigger cleaned up on it. Forgot to mention that part.

Ah gunlust....Been known to suffer from that time to time...:D

Nice you got the rifle you wanted and it always fun to work on the rifle to make it "yours".
Looking forward to seeing the finished rifle and a range report.
Andy

I agree with the OP's sentiments on the looks of the two versions, but I think he went the right way if he's going to use a scope. That humpback stock doesn't look good to me, but has to be a huge help in snap shooting. Getting rid of that crap (rail, flash hider) really cleans up the lines. The missing chunks out of the forend appear to be right where the support hand grips. Maybe a dark, non slip material would be a good addition?

Nice find, and it should serve you well!

I had a BLR in 358 winchester for a while, but I sold it for much less than I should have. It was a nice gun. My only issue with them was I couldn't get comfortable with the safeties on them. I'm sure they work fine for other folks.

I currently have a Savage 99 in 358 that I like much better.

I have the straight stocked BLR in .358 Win. Really love the caliber, but I can't bear to put a scope on it, and with my old eyes that means it is a gun safe queen. Anyway wood stocks don't work well in western Oregon. I should probably sell it.

It's huge fun to shoot this at lined-up milk jugs, lots of thump. I had them sitting on a 2x6 which I managed to break just from the water blast. Speer 250gr, both the hot core and the GS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top