JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am thinking of getting into hunting. Birds and small game. I read the sticky's and some of those free magazines that are issued from oregon. But i would like a little bit more advice specific to bird and small game. I plan on attending a safety hunter class and look into a gun and rod club.
I have a 22lr and a 12 and 20 guage shot gun, also a 30-06. so i think its a good start.

I am looking for information on:
Lingo and terms
Locations specific to the hunt
Tips, advice
books/videos
Gear
anything else i should know

I've read other post but they seem to get hijack or go off topics. I just want a kick in the right direction

Thank you,
Joey

Really need more info.

Types of birds: grouse...ducks...geese...pheasant....qual.......

small game: rabbits...squirrels....

What shotguns, chokes, age of each.

Really need more info.

Types of birds: grouse...ducks...geese...pheasant....qual.......

small game: rabbits...squirrels....

What shotguns, chokes, age of each.

I dont really know, i wanted a good book that will let me know a little of both. I think mainly duck my family likes duck. But for small game I've heard you can hunt wild animals like racoons and coyote, but what do you do with them after you hunt them?
I have an old remington 870 magnum and a H&R tooper 20 guage. They are both use and older models if thats what you mean by age?

If you are wanting to hunt duck you will need a newer shotgun as the steel shot required will not be good on the older barrel. You also want full choke for ducks/geese as well as taking another class to identify species so you only shoot what you can (read the regs book).

The shotguns you have would most likely be OK for all other birds but only in certain areas still OK for using lead.

You can eat coon if you wish but most people don't. Check the regs (I am not up on them all) for what you need to be able to sell the pelts.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top