JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

One thing that still confuses me about hunting is scoring your bucks. I've heard so many different things online. Please point me in the right direction or a good resource? I added a pic of my very first buck if anyone wants to help. Just started hunting this year without any experience or help really and this is my first successful harvest of any kind. Am I safe to say this is a 3x3 or 6 pointer? Or Fork and horn with eye guards? I'm so confused...

Thanks in advance

IMG20221025223636.jpg

Congrats! That would be a 3point. Yup. "Typical" if you wanna get all suspecificisacal.

Scoring methodology... I can't help you with. I hunt for meat where the only "scores" that matter are blooshot wastage and freezer poundage. ;)

Congrats! That would be a 3point. Yup.

Scoring methodology... I can't help you with. I hunt for meat where the only "scores" that matter are blooshot wastage and freezer poundage. ;)
Lol I can definitely respect that. I'm more worried about the meat as well, just want to familiarize myself with how people score their bucks. This one was big and healthy, didn't weigh it but I had to buy a whole new freezer for extra room, put it that way lol.

Lol I can definitely respect that. I'm more worried about the meat as well, just want to familiarize myself with how people score their bucks. This one was big and healthy, didn't weigh it but I had to buy a whole new freezer for extra room, put it that way lol.
As any self respecting hunter would. The quickest way to ruin your haul is to put it up in one of those rental freezers. Typically set too cold (-30 to -40) and will ruin your cuts in no time.

The trick is keeping it enegy efficient by keeping it full. ;)

It sure opens up a lost of cost savings potential in the off seasons too though by buying dead cow flesh (and other warm blooded creatures) at discounted rates for pre processed hunks from your local grocery store during good sales and processing it yourself in quantity.

As any self respecting hunter would. The quickest way to ruin your haul is to put it up in one of those rental freezers. Typically set too cold (-30 to -40) and will ruin your cuts in no time.

The trick is keeping it enegy efficient by keeping it full. ;)

It sure opens up a lost of cost savings potential in the off seasons too though by buying dead cow flesh (and other warm blooded creatures) at discounted rates for pre processed hunks from your local grocery store during good sales and processing it yourself in quantity.
I never thought about that, great idea!

Congratulations on your buck!

You can download Boone & Crockett scoring sheets which explain the scoring methodology here (and other places around the internet). https://www.boone-crockett.org/download-bc-score-charts

On the meat care, try to age it first for about a week by keeping it at refrigerated temp (32-40 degrees F). It will help with tenderness and taste.
That is extremely helpful thank you!

I grinded up half the meat right away, the other half including front quarter, back straps, tenderloin, and heart, are all aging right now. On day 7 and will be freezing it tomorrow, except the heart which I will be eating lol.

Nice score!

You couldn't eat the heart from the last blacktail buck (a 2-yr old forked horn) that I bagged…. because there wasn't anything left of it after I shot him through it.

The lil' bastige STILL ran uphill and into thick brush afterwards, and had a strong will to live!

C578F982-E1BA-4DC0-A95D-B5C4BAC1422B.jpeg

Nice buck.

In these parts we'd mostly just call that a three point. Some may add "with eye guards" or "brow tines". Back east a whitetail hunter would call it an eight point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top