JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have knowledge of this gun? I assume it's still made in the same factory (Walther in Germany) that made the previous run (many years ago now) of hk mp5 22lr (not GSG brand). If I could get a picture of a proof mark that would tell us for sure. That previous Walther made version should not be confused with the GSG gun which is completely different gun and not licensed by HK. That previous Walther made gun was highly praised fwiw.

That walther factory made/makes the hk g36, hkg22?, hk 416, colt m4, beretta arx 160, umarex r? (Can't remember number, 5 maybe), and a few more that I can't recall (22lr versions only of those guns I mean).

All shared the same fire control group which is a zamak shell with pretty high quality parts (for an inexpensive 22 I mean). It's pretty easy to change the trigger springs on these and kits are avail for around $16-26. It reduces trigger pull by around 40-50% in the two I have installed.

The colt m4 and hk416 I've had/have have been ultra reliable even with subsonics suppressed or unsuppressed (excluding the lowest velocity cci-quiet (730 fps I think). I can get a few cycles with that 730fps round by dialing out the recoil spring all the way -the recoil spring is adjustable with Allen wrench- but have never good reliability with that round on any semi auto 22 I have ever owned.

Just wondering if anyone has researched them or knows where to get a pic of proof marks.

Found a few videos online but I guess they just came out so not much info yet. I'm kind of thinking of getting the pistol version.

Last Edited:
I just purchased 2 the other day haven't taken them out yet but here is a picture of proof marks they are the new model Hks that came out.

9E6663AF-92B3-4C60-8E58-D571B71BBD3D.jpeg

I just purchased 2 the other day haven't taken them out yet but here is a picture of proof marks they are the new model Hks that came out.

Awesome thx for the pics! Congrats on the guns and I hope you can give us a range report when u get a chance to try them.

Some proof mark decoding shown in first pic below. I don't know what the "UX" code is for unless it's for Umarex which owns Walther. I remember @Jonnyuma mentioned the Walther smaller calibers are made in the Arnsburg factory*. That just fine with me as the guns I've had from there have been great for inexpensive 22s. I assume this gun is made there but don't know. Fwiw the arnsburg factory uses Cologne proof house as I understand it but Cologne Proof house mark doesn't necessarily mean it's made in Arnsburg.

I took a pic of my hk 416 bolt (see below) and it looks very similar to the new mp5 bolt. It looks to me that maybe the mp5 bolt is a newer more simplified version of the old bolt shown in hk 416 pic. That may mean it has similar (or the same) innerds as all the other Walther made guns. My guess is hk parts will have a trigger spring setup available soon and they may know if perhaps the existing trigger spring upgrades may fit as is. Judging by the bolt and origin only I would say it is probably the same factory and fire control group setup (a newer version of it). It makes sense cuz that factory made the previous run of mp5 22lr (not GSG).

* I believe this includes the 22lr: colt m4, hk 416, beretta arx 160, umarex uzi, hamerli Tac R1, hk g36, old run of hk mp5, and some others
24F0F242-38A2-4335-AC6D-7D545E8FCB59.jpeg

D2DF17D9-D935-4DBF-9691-82B87BE4633A.jpeg

Last Edited:
I owned one of the first iteration of this and it was great fun .... one of the biggest goofs I made was selling it.
Now I really want to buy one again.
Do u recall was the old one mostly metal or mostly polymer? The video says the new one is mostly polymer but that may be the same way the old one was? I've never handled the old one.

I found the old version (2014) on gunbroker here . It looks identical to the new one from what I can tell. And that's a good thing cuz old one was highly praised. I'm sure there are some afficianados out there that can list the differences. Here is a pic of the bolt and proof marks showing year 2014 (the gunbroker ad has 45 photos):
287D5F75-3981-497B-AE2C-8F0419FF0C84.jpeg

Info is still pretty fresh. Some stuff on reddit.
Im thinking of getting one of the pistols and either SBRing it OR putting a brace on there if one ever comes out. The specs from what Ive read are different than on the other variants that existed before HK got into the game with their own brand.

It seems easy enough to make an endcap with a brace adapter system.. but from what folks have said on other forums, HK is really dragging their feet. Getting products out to the market isnt really HK's style these days I guess.. they love that limited release inflated price game. So eventually an aftermarket solution will come about.

But I certainly want one as Ill never be able to (willingly) afford an MP5.. so Ill settle for the .22 variant.

Cant wait to hear about your range report @ilikegunspdx

Info is still pretty fresh. Some stuff on reddit.
Im thinking of getting one of the pistols and either SBRing it OR putting a brace on there if one ever comes out. The specs from what Ive read are different than on the other variants that existed before HK got into the game with their own brand.

It seems easy enough to make an endcap with a brace adapter system.. but from what folks have said on other forums, HK is really dragging their feet. Getting products out to the market isnt really HK's style these days I guess.. they love that limited release inflated price game. So eventually an aftermarket solution will come about.

But I certainly want one as Ill never be able to (willingly) afford an MP5.. so Ill settle for the .22 variant.

Cant wait to hear about your range report @ilikegunspdx
Re hk timing, walther previously produced a licensed hk mp5 22lr some years back (maybe 2014-2016ish?). It got excellent reviews and last/this year it sold as high as $1400 on gunbroker (original was about $350ish as I recall). This new one appears identical to the old one (still made by Walther in same factory apparently) but this one is branded Umarex (who owns Walther).

Contrast that with GSG mp5 22lr which has mostly poor reviews and had to change their product over the years due to hk lawsuits.

Re brace, some ppl have modified standard hk mp5 telescopic braces to fit this 22lr version so that may be an option (expensive!). Myself I will modify an end cap (either the one that came with a gun or buy an aftermarket end cap) and mount a small piece of metal pic rail. Once pic rail is installed u can put any 1913 compatible brace on it u want. The nice part about that is if u want to move the brace from gun to gun it takes less than one minute.

To add a pic rail all u have to do is drill and tap two holes into the end piece and install pic rail piece with 2 screws. Have done this on many guns and takes no time at all and allows u to use a 1913 brace (or braces) u like on many guns which also reduces cost considerably compared to buying numerous braces. So total cost for me is pic rail piece plus 2 screws (ie less than $15), assuming I don't buy an extra end piece.

Not sure if standard mp5 (or sp5k) end piece like this one would work or not. I may try it if I don't want to drill holes into original end piece:

Example 1913 brace, or u can get ones that look like mp5 brace if desired.
B5151C1C-2BB2-4CE3-AA46-6B17CD2768D9.jpeg
Here is a hk416 22lr with pic rail and 1913 brace added. Also shown is Stribog with aftermarket end piece that includes a pic rail. Only one screw to remove/install brace from gun to gun.
368D9E26-394D-444F-9EA0-915F276E501E.png

Last Edited:
FYI here is a cheap end cap for 9mm mp5 modification. Will it also fit 22lr? We will see as I just ordered one. And also a post of someone who did what I am talking about on 9mm mp5.

Also FYI spring kit to lighten trigger. I have installed these on my hk 416 22lr and my old colt m4 22lr and they make a big difference in trigger pull weight imo. Kind of a pain to install though imo unless u like doing this kind of stuff.

Also here is Jmac customs one which is $90. Until someone verifies it will fit the 22 version though it's too much money to risk imo (unless u are willing to modify it to fit if it won't fit as is). Nicely built though and fewer parts of course.

6E89CF51-390B-44B0-A6BB-D0D468A151C8.png

Last Edited:
FYI I contacted jmac customs re end plate and they have list of compatible guns and they said if it's not on the list it won't fit. This gun is not in their list. But i am almost sure that in reality they never tried to see if it fits. I'm not willing to spend $90 to find out though! :p However I really like that jmac customs end piece seems to have a qd sling attachment onthe bottom of it. That's a big benefit for me, unless I can figureout how to use elastic paracord to make one of these quick release "slings". Note this sling talk is just for fun/experimentation in regards to hk mp5 22, not to use as EDC.

Last Edited:
Some first impressions/observations after receiving the gun in random order. I will wait to do a full range report until after brace is added and trigger spring kit is installed. Might do a light trigger polish too.

1. Lots of polymer. Frame feels like polymer but it's actually painted zamak (sp) zinc alloy. Lower and mag are polymer. If u are ok with shooting s&w 15-22 (extreme amounts of polymer used in that gun) u will have no issues with amount of polymer in this gun. If u only like cz75 type guns I don't think u will like it.

2. Grip is extremely thin (I assume this is the same for Sp5 9mm)? I beef led them up with three layers of grip tape for now and will do a better solution later. Way too thin for my tastes.

3 . Safety is excellent imo. Easy to reach and actuate. Solid engagement.

4. Reliability appears to be excellent and same as hk416 22. Shot cci standard velocity, federal hv match, fed game shock, fed champion, am eagle suppressor, eley match and no malfunctions but only about 300 rounds total. I did not clean prior to use. Read another review yesterday where poster had no malfunctions in first 1400 rounds (he must not have been shooting Remington thunderbolt ha ha).

5. Mag is good quality but all polymer and very light weight. Much better than 15-22 mag but not as good as hk 416, colt m4, arx160 mags which are a lot heavier and use more metal. Function is the key to any mag of course and by all reports these are very reliable.

6. Charging handle is metal and is good but a bit hard to actuate. U can do hk slap if u want.

7. Paddle mag release is nice (finger release on a opposite side)

8. Trigger is poor for my preferences. 7.1 lb is as expected but very long pull and very long reset. I ordered trigger spring kit so we will see if that helps.

9. Fun to hip fire, probably cuz long trigger reset comes into play less.

10. Back plate is hard plastic not rubbery so very easy to add pic rail for 1913 brace.

11. Metal Diopter sights are as expected. I hate these kind of sights personally.

12. recoil spring is adjustable via Allen wrench if neeeded. I have not had to adjust it on this or other guns that use the same bolt and trigger pack.

13. Trigger housing is plastic instead of metal now. Apparently it has been this way for the last 3 years on the hk416 22 also. Probably doesn't make any difference except maybe weight of the gun and likelihood of stripping housing screws if working on the trigger.

14. Surprisingly easy to shoot one handed (i mean holding, not referring to diopter sights).

15. no issues shooting suppressed. I will do sound tests of it relative to similar guns someday. Normally the action is as loud as the shot for these 22sbut we will see.

16. Tri lug adapter is loosely "floating" between nut and frame, not attached to barrel so must be just for looks which is fine with me as I don't use tri lug.

Seems to be a well made "toy" type 22 in the same vein as S&w 15-22 and other similar 22s. I think reliability is much better than 15-22 (I own both). So for a gun to blast away 500 rounds of 22 it's great. lots of other options out there for the same purpose so depends on what u want. I'm fussy about triggers so upgrading that is a must for me. If this gun had a steel frame and really good trigger I would love it. But would cost twice as much probably. I think the long throw of trigger and reset might be for safety of who they think will be using the Gun but 100% a guess on that. Some people it may not bother them.

7F53F76A-861D-4AAC-8D2B-2E453875796C.jpeg
471668E9-A794-4674-840E-F6040D93FC41.jpeg

Sound data. Measurements used positioning and impulse meter to mil-spec protocol but was done inside not outside. Avg db shown. As a guide, a difference of 10 db equates to 1/2 as much perceived sound (see attached chart).

18" bolt action/16" 15-22/mp5 with small suppressor:
Cci quiet 110db/114.4/115.8
Am eagle suppressor 119.9/120.1/123.4

18" bolt/15-22/mp5 with big suppressor:
Cci quiet 110/110/113.4
Am eagle suppressor 119.3/119.9/119.2
Cci stand vel. ND/117.6*/120.8*

Pre charged pneumatic air pistol with airgun specific suppressor 119

loud hand clap 118-119db

*only one shot
324B970A-BB2E-44A7-84C7-41E4E1782E5C.jpeg

Last Edited: