Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New here and I am lost as to what thread to post this,

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by CodyMckay, Apr 23, 2013.

1. CodyMckay

CodyMckay yamhill county New Member

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. chevytruckman

chevytruckman OLY Active Member

Cool, not sure of the answer to your question.... How u come across them? Any cool stories?

3. CodyMckay

CodyMckay yamhill county New Member

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The live rounds you need the correct lincense to have in your possession. I think they are classifed a destructive device. Send a PM to AMProducts on the forum. I believe he knows what the answers are.
    The training rounds are inert and no problem.

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Might just delete this thread and PM AMP

Just sayin

6. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

I did not read this thread....

7. springfield0612

springfield0612 Poulsbo Member

What is going on here? I am sooooo confused!!! :huh:

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Well, I didn't get a PM on this, based off the other questions, it seems someone may have been in possession of some large caliber military ammunition.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do occasionally play one on the internet, and I have worked for a type 10, and done a lot of research on compliance, here's basically how it breaks down:

You are allowed to possess large caliber ammunition (including military and others) provided it does not have an explosive projectile with an explosive loading over 1/4 oz. Here are the relevant sections from 18USC921:

When it comes to large caliber ammo, this definition excludes any round with an inert projectile, no matter what size. From my reading of the law, I see no reason that a person couldn't possess a live sabot round, however the limitation there is the amount of powder may violate the amount of gunpowder you are allowed to have in a private residence.

Most military ammo that has a blue colored projectile is inert (except for 30 and 50 cal, the blue tip means incendiary), this applies almost universally. I know I have some old Oerklon 20mm shells in my collection that were never loaded with explosive, however it contains all the metal parts (casing, fuse body, fuse components) there's just no explosive.