JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'll be purchasing my first pistol in a few weeks, and realize that I need to do some training and coursework to become proficient with it in case I ever need to use the weapon to defend my life - just taking tons of amateur shots at a range unsupervised won't cut it.

Can you all recommend a local pistol course or seminar out there?

Also, can someone point me towards some CCW resources? I know that I'll need to get both an Oregon and Washington one, but don't some out-of-state permits cover both? Not too sure on how all the paperwork and the like works...

OFA has some good handgun classes that are pretty inexpensive and it's local so you don't have to pay for travel.
Oregon Firearms Academy LLC - Courses

For concealed carry in both WA and OR you definitely need at least 2 permits. This is because OR accepts no other state's permit. I recommend just getting the WA one because it works in a good number of other states and is very easy to get (you don't have to take any extra classes or anything). The Utah one is also popular and gives you a couple more states than the WA one. Here is a link to an interactive concealed carry reciprocity map:
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps | USA Carry

Once you have taken a class, I recommend joining the IPSC/IDPA competitions at local gun clubs. You do not have to be a member of the club to compete, it is open to anyone. Matches usually cost about $15 plus 120rds of ammunition and each club does one about once a month. CVSC in Dundee, Tri County in Sherwood, and Douglas Ridge way out in Eagle Creek are all fairly close clubs that do competitions. It is a good, fun way to keep up your skill and learn what you need to work on.

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Go with the basics before trying to go tactical. But for further (self)training opportunities look at:

International Practical Shooting Confederation

International Defensive Pistol Association

Also, look into joining a gun club that sponsors these kinds of events. There just aren't that many places that have the kind of space for this, it usually has to be an organized event, not just a range where you can walk around blasting things. The safe design of such a course is a little more difficult than one might assume without soem in-depth thought.

Threat Dynamics in Hillsboro Oregon does have a simulator: <broken link removed>

I'd highly recommend www.blackstonegunsafety.com. He teaches both in the classroom and practical shooting classes, or combo's of both. Nice guy, competitive pricing and classes all over the Portland Metro area.

I am having a hard time finding classes anywhere that are not filled up till June or later. Does this guy offer classes that start from the ground up? I want to get mysself and my wife into some and start at the beginning (most basic cleaning, clearing jams, safe operation, etc.) and work our way up, does he offer those type?

I noticed you are in gresham too, did you take one of his classes out here? where are they located?

He's in Hillsboro but does the CCW classes here about every other month. I've taken both the Oregon/Utah CCW class as well as the beginning pistol class (hands on) and both were great! I'm now helping him with promotion on this side of the river in hopes I can get more of my friends involved. We're currently looking for a place to do the hands on classes on this side... hopefully in the next few months. The CCW classes take place over Cafe Delirium and the next one is scheduled for June 4. I'll keep you posted on the hands on class.

I will give another thump up to the pros at Oregon Firearms. You can go to the rockpit to get target practice. But those guys will help with the mental exercises along with getting your gun out and making it go bang. I took my wife down to the basic course, they taught her more than I could in a month of Sundays. The drive is well worth it. Do the basic then follow up quickly with Defensive Handgun 1. You won't be sorry.

... Do the basic then follow up quickly with Defensive Handgun 1. You won't be sorry.

I second that. Do the basic anywhere you want, but nothing beats good quality PRACTICE and/or a class that gets you thinking defensively and shooting a LOT. I'm looking at the Defensive Handgun 1 & 2 next. That and shooting competitions with my everyday carry weapon will ensure that I'm proficient when and if I ever need to fire it in a defensive situation.

It's not enough to own one and have the right to carry it... you also need to know how to USE it.

Please view the class schedule for Oregon Firearms Academy (Oregon Firearms Academy LLC) Basic Hangun Safety Class, we have added several more classes to avoid long waiting times for you attendance, even scheduled two classes to happen on Mondays. Click on the course and view the class contents, which also includes range time.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Please view the class schedule for Oregon Firearms Academy (Oregon Firearms Academy LLC) Basic Hangun Safety Class, we have added several more classes to avoid long waiting times for you attendance, even scheduled two classes to happen on Mondays. Click on the course and view the class contents, which also includes range time.
Hope this helps.
Rick

OFA classes really helped me (and boy did i need help!).

As a firearms insturctor for a local police agency, I can tell you that the Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) has some good classes, from beginner to advanced. They also have various firearms that you can rent. Good luck in your journey and remember, train train train. Keys.

As a firearms insturctor for a local police agency, I can tell you that the Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) has some good classes, from beginner to advanced. They also have various firearms that you can rent. Good luck in your journey and remember, train train train. Keys.

is this the place by Clackamas town center?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top