Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Hampshire man arrested for firing gun to ground while catching suspected burglar

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by tom sawyer, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Too many "Citizens" deferring defense of their neighborhoods to the Police and hiding behind the blinds; watching while their neighbors are robbed, beaten and murdered. Too few step up and take responsibility for the safety of their neighborhoods. The time will come when those folks are victims, and will wish someone had intervened on their behalf beside calling 911.

2. The Duck

The Duck Oregon Active Member

You are the best Sunday Morning Quarterback I have ever seen... Maybe I will have the pleasure to meet you someday in my line of work... (Let the pissing contest start, you will win due to my lack of concern about your thoughts)

3. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

423d8_ORIG-u_mad.jpg

4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I RE'd your PM. You and me can meet up ANY TIME, brah.

5. derrickrf

derrickrf vancouver wa New Member

bkb0000, you sound like the type of gun owner that makes others judgmental. Even if you are joking brah.

6. The Duck

It is statements like that and the ones you "PMed" me which give me all confidence that given the right situation: YOU WILL BECOME A CRIMINAL. But in your own little mind, you did the "American" thing...

The issue in hand is the discharge of a round in "warning", where in which all State, County and Local Police officer are NOT allowed to fire warning shots. It was reckless and needless in the situation. The man ran across the street and put himself in harms way over his own anger (closely matching bkb000's shown anger).

On a side note: "brah", are you 12 years old surfer girl, if so I don't think you should be in a firearms forum?

7. pietro beretta

pietro beretta North Idaho Active Member 2016 Volunteer

This is why it was more appealing to me to take the CCW handgun safety class at the Sheriffs department. We were told very bluntly, NEVER fire a warning shot, if you think you are in a justifiable confrontation that you can use deadly force, then you should be using deadly force at the bad guy; firing a warning shot is not only dangerous, but its not going to stop a bad guy. If you are not in a justifiable use of force situation, if you fire a warning shot you are going to jail -- more than likely its going to be illegal to have discharged your weapon.

He also explained being the 3rd party on a situation where you may be justified using force; however he strongly warned that you need to be aware of the situation and often if YOU (me) are not the person directly involved it MAY be a better idea to call for help (911) and observe and report. He gave the example of a liquor store being robbed and a good samaritan pulling a firearm and getting the bad guy on the ground. If you pull up to 7-11 and see someone holding someone else that is on the ground at gunpoint; you would have no idea what already had happened or exactly what is, and you could mistake the good guy for a bad guy: sometimes its better to call for help (911).

Would a LEO fired into the ground to make the suspect know he was serious, I don't think one would. However; I will agree if a LEO did shoot into the ground, more than likely, even if it was found out to be a non accidental discharge, I doubt the LEO would be fired let alone go to jail - probably some administrative leave with pay for a few months. .

This is one reason I will continue in more hands on education and training when it comes to self defense tactics.

MikeE and (deleted member) like this.
  8. pietro beretta

Calm down, don't get this thread closed yet. My 40 year old ex boss calls everyone brah, get over it.

9. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you read "anger" in any of these digits here on your computer screen, it probably has something to do with my contempt for your blatant attempt to intimidate me by sending mine and my wife's names and address to me in a PM. I'm done typing to you, cool guy... you took this to a level you're apparently not equipped for. Next thing that needs to happen between you and me, if anything, is fist-swinging. So man up, or STFU.

10. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Guys, please take the pissing match somewhere else.

Besides, it is a moot point now as they have dropped all charges against him.

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a skull-busting is in order.

12. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

You're applying a different state's laws to NH. Be very careful doing so. The laws regarding use of force will vary from state to state.

You're probably right regarding a police officer shooting into the ground.

Good to hear you want to expand on your self defense training.

13. The Duck

I was just poking him for fun (unprofessional but fun)... He seems pretty sensitive?

14. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Keep twisting the knife cause it's fun.

I like the idea of claiming accidental discharge, seems like that would work

15. pietro beretta

Better? :thumbup: ;)

16. pietro beretta

I am glad that the charges were dropped!

17. pietro beretta

Now I am just being a smart ***, sorry ! I am not giving anyone legal advice, I am not a lawyer.