JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot open sights, red dot and scope, all with readers.

If you are new, I suggest a little bit of education on good shooting technique....sight picture, natural point of aim...stuff like that. SUrprisingly, good accuracy is not severely hindered by slightly blurry vision.

Keith

Not to sound like the safety Nazi, but shooting with regular glasses is a bad idea from a safety standpoint. You can get your optometrist to order you some nice glasses that are safety rated. I have a pair of Oakleys with a safety lens that adapts to the brightness. They work great, I can see clearly and they keep my eyeballs safe.

Being as I'll be 56 next birthday, my eyesight is getting worse and worse for close up.
The eye doctor told me a few years ago that I had "fortyitis," and I was losing my close up vision.
Now, I can no longer focus on the front sight on handguns nor rifles without glasses, and even WITH glasses, I can't focus on the front sight on my handguns.
I use to shoot a lot of Bullseye handgun matches, but that is no longer possible.
So, I'm thinking about some Crimson Trace laser grips for the Colt Commander .45 that I have carried ever since I turned 21.
God, it's hell to get old....

I'm at that age too. Pistols aren't much trouble cause they're at arms length. Rifles are a different story. I can see the sights and target, pick any 2. But not all three at the same time. What works well for me is to get a good cheek weld on the stock then line up the sights. Holding the cheek weld focus on the front sight and target. Works pretty good for me.

If you are totally new to shooting you might want to get a snap cap and do some dry fire practice. You may be pulling your shot when you squeeze the trigger.

My 2 cents..... I love speed steel and 3 gun, but my eyes are getting old! So yes all of my carry guns now have CTC lasers on them. So I feel ur pain! I am going to ask at the next arpc match if any shoots wearing glasses if there doctor is a shooter as I think he would best under stand what I want . Even if I have a pair made just for shooting.

Not to sound like the safety Nazi, but shooting with regular glasses is a bad idea from a safety standpoint. You can get your optometrist to order you some nice glasses that are safety rated. I have a pair of Oakleys with a safety lens that adapts to the brightness. They work great, I can see clearly and they keep my eyeballs safe.

They make 'wraparounds' that you can wear non-safeties under. Makes you look old, but they work.

Keith

Oh....peep sights are really good for bad vision. The front sight post and the target will be in focus simultaneously. A peep will actually slightly magnify too.

http://www.improve-vision-naturally.com/10-ways-to-improve-your-long-distance-vision.html

In a pinch, you can also make a pinhole with your index finger to read blurry text up close, and the reason you can read better in strong light is that your pupils constrict...making their own 'pinhole'.

Keith

I shoot open sights, red dot and scope, all with readers.

If you are new, I suggest a little bit of education on good shooting technique....sight picture, natural point of aim...stuff like that. SUrprisingly, good accuracy is not severely hindered by slightly blurry vision.

Keith

This is good advise right here and will probably be the most helpful. Also if you can, try and shoot someone's AR with a red dot or scope and see how it works for you.

My optometrist told me once that all prescription lenses sold in WA must be impact/shatter resistant and that they're safe to shoot in (other than getting stuff going past the lens).

Not sure if that's the same in OR...

Personally, I've worn tri-focal glasses for the last 30 years and I have two rules.

Proper eye relief on scopes and Secure your glasses. Even a large rubber band around
the back of your head will do.

It's an automatic case of Parallax if your glasses aren't always in the same position for
every shot.

Jack...:cool:

So that didn't go great, I shot stuff it was fun. But I need a sight Red dot? Opitical? What do your reading glass wearers use.:cool:

I too am in the same boat as you are. I used reading glasses to sight in the iron sights, I have since added a Vortex Strikefire red dot scope and use my bifocals for shooting the metal man at 100 yards out with the red or green dot (green better for bright days).
Once sighted all I need to do is point & shoot its so easy...

Medic!
I'm getting old but no trouble with my eyes. I see perfect! I can shoot the wings off a fly!................... What was I looking at? What were we talking about? Oh never mind, I cant remember sh-t!

I remember you...We were all standing around the fire, loading up before heading out....

You were the guy trying to stuff a Chap Stick into his old 30-40 Krag.....:s0112::s0112::s0112:;)

Jack...:cool:

I need to figure something out when I shoot. I do not wear glasses, but I see double vision even with one eye closed if I am trying to get really accurate. It kills me when I compete in bullseye. My groups start to string as I see one target on top of the other. I am not sure what I should do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top