JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for sharing Tim. I hope you enjoy your time here and find lot's of opportunities to disseminate some wisdom and share some stories. I'm betting you have a few good ones that would find some willing earballs on here :)

Are you a native of the state of Oregon? Just curious being one.

Welcome !
I can see already that it will be a joy to read your posts.

I have a Rem 700 ADL in 270 (which I think is morally wrong :)) that I might build into a .280 or .280 Ackley.
Would sure enjoy hearing about yours someday.

Edit:
Once I learned to toggle between the "New Content" button and "Alerts" button I enjoyed the forum even more.
Good group here.

Last Edited:
Thanks for sharing Tim. I hope you enjoy your time here and find lot's of opportunities to disseminate some wisdom and share some stories. I'm betting you have a few good ones that would find some willing earballs on here :)

Are you a native of the state of Oregon? Just curious being one.

I was born in Montana in 1943 while my dad was bombing the crap out of the Nazis. After he got out of the Army, all messed up, we moved back to Oregon. I spent many summers of my youth back on my grandparent's farm out of Corvallis, Montana (about 40 miles south of Missoula) in the Bitterroot Valley.

I have a blog Steve Timm's Blog and lots of my Montana farm experiences are related there. The blog is about 400,000 words long now, so there's lots of fun stuff to read there.

God Bless,

Steve

Amazing Steve! Welcome to the forum. Will be great to have your knowledge and expertise shared here. Recognize the legend in my avatar? ;)

Yep, that's Elmer. On our honeymoon, in 1964, Karen and I stopped for breakfast at Henry Benson's Cafe in Salmon, Idaho. Elmer happened to walk through the door, look around and walked over to our table.

He said, "Steve, my good friend, aren't you going to introduce me to this beautiful young lady?"

We were just passing through, but it worked out that we spent a few days visiting Elmer and his wife and shooting jack rabbits.

He was a true gentleman. Totally.

God Bless,

Steve

Welcome aboard Steve. I am looking forward to your contributions. Anybody that hunts with a 280AI is ok in my book and obviously enlightened:cool:. My avatar is of a Missouri breaks Mule with my 280 AI laid across it.

Welcome aboard Steve. I am looking forward to your contributions. Anybody that hunts with a 280AI is ok in my book and obviously enlightened:cool:. My avatar is of a Missouri breaks Mule with my 280 AI laid across it.

Dang, I was shooting the .280 Ackley waaaay before it was cool and I have little doubt you were, too. It is simply the finest bang for the buck out there.

Funny story; quite a few years ago, my buddy Chub Eastman told me that the Nosler .284" 120Ballistic had an incredibly thick jacket and that in beefing the bullet up for Rifle Silhouette shooting they'd inadvertently made a fantastic big game bullet.

So, I tried the 120s and they killed big old Alberta whitetail and elk great.

Then, the moment of truth came when I had a Canada moose charge out of the bush and stand looking at me at 90 yards. I aimed right under the chiny-chin-chin and shot.

The bullet coursed the neck and took out the ENTIRE second cervical vertabrae, left a one-inch exit and may still be orbiting the earth, for all I know.

The moose stood there, straight-legged for about ten seconds .... then, it sloooowly tipped over like a piece of balanced plywood that was caught in a slight breeze. THUMP.

Hey, it works.

Oh, an apology to all ... I'm unfamiliar with the forum'f format, so it might be a while for this old fella to get up to speed on the messages and such. If I don't answer or whatever, it's just that I don't know. I'll eventually make it.

God Bless,

Steve

elkguts.jpg

Here's a bull elk I killed with the 120Ballistic. One per customer, with no returns or complaints. ST

I rebarreled a Win mod 70 to 280ai in the late eighties and hunted with it exclusively for many years. It was a bit finicky with loads and I cut it loose several years back. When the cartridge was delisted from wildcat status I picked up a Kimber chambered for it and probably will take it to my grave. In my eyes there is not a better all around cartridge for the lower 48. I have never tried Ballistic Tips but I am partial to other Nosler offerings for it. I did take a Yukon Moose with a 160 Swift A Frame which performed great going stern to stem and recovered just under the hide on the chest and Retained 90 some percent of it's weight. Other than that one exception I feed it a steady diet of Partitions and Accubonds to great effect.

Hi Guys,

My name is Steve Timm and I live in the Jennings Lodge/Oak Grove area, south of Milwaukie.

I've hunted a lot; mostly Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, BC, Alberta, Yukon, Quebec, Zimbabe and South Africa.

I wrote for Handloader, Rifle, Guns & Ammo and Varmint Hunter. Maybe a million published words on rifles, precision handloading and killing stuff.

Favorite cartridges? .280 Ackley and the .223 Ackley.

This forum promises to be a lot of gfun.

God Bless,

Steve
I was born in Montana in 1943 while my dad was bombing the crap out of the Nazis. After he got out of the Army, all messed up, we moved back to Oregon. I spent many summers of my youth back on my grandparent's farm out of Corvallis, Montana (about 40 miles south of Missoula) in the Bitterroot Valley.

I have a blog Steve Timm's Blog and lots of my Montana farm experiences are related there. The blog is about 400,000 words long now, so there's lots of fun stuff to read there.

God Bless,

Steve
Neat!
I used to live in Arlee, MT for a bit.
My Dad had a place in Oak Grove for about 50 years.
Welcome!

Neat!
I used to live in Arlee, MT for a bit.
My Dad had a place in Oak Grove for about 50 years.
Welcome!

Thanks for the greeting CD.
We've lived in our home for 53 years. At the time we bought it, paying mortgage payments was less expensive than paying rent; and we ended up owning our home outright in about eight years.

Blessings,

Steve

Below is the moose I killed with the 120Ballistic

P1000533_zpsone7ywtz.jpg

Steve, welcome to the board. I'm really new still but I'm excited a fellow such as yourself decided to join. I'm finding there are really good people here.

Hi Guys,

My name is Steve Timm and I live in the Jennings Lodge/Oak Grove area, south of Milwaukie.

I've hunted a lot; mostly Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, BC, Alberta, Yukon, Quebec, Zimbabe and South Africa.

I wrote for Handloader, Rifle, Guns & Ammo and Varmint Hunter. Maybe a million published words on rifles, precision handloading and killing stuff.

Favorite cartridges? .280 Ackley and the .223 Ackley.

This forum promises to be a lot of gfun.

God Bless,

Steve
Welcome Steve! I fairly new here too and I tend to lean more towards the older hyphenated calibers and obtaining their full potential through meticulous hand loading and load testing. Today's hot rod calibers seem to do the job just fine, but I really enjoy working with vintage and obsolete cartridges..I found they are still very accurate, powerful enough to still do the job, and a ton of fun to tinker with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top