JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys,

My name is Steve Timm and I live in the Jennings Lodge/Oak Grove area, south of Milwaukie.

I've hunted a lot; mostly Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, BC, Alberta, Yukon, Quebec, Zimbabe and South Africa.

I wrote for Handloader, Rifle, Guns & Ammo and Varmint Hunter. Maybe a million published words on rifles, precision handloading and killing stuff.

Favorite cartridges? .280 Ackley and the .223 Ackley.

This forum promises to be a lot of gfun.

God Bless,

Steve

Thanks Guys, I'm feeling welcome already.

I hope hunting photos are allowed on the forum. If so, I have more than a few.

Enjoy and God Bless,

Steve

twobulls.jpg

A couple of my boys

antelopebuck.jpg

One of my prettiest speedgoats. Out of Melstone, Montana

karengoat1.jpg

Karen, wife of 53 years with a speedgoat.

P1000050_zpsjrl7vizn.jpg

Whitetail and mule deer. Cremona, Alberta

P1020192_edit.jpg

Pretty blonde bear; Snake River while I was guiding elk hunters.

P1010279-1_zps41db6c18.jpg

42-inch Dall sheep. Northern Yukon Territory on the NWT border. Yes, he is incredible!!!!

P1010280_zps865990d0.jpg

Karen's first elkin Hell's Canyon. She was SO happy. Gotta be the cutest hunting photo ever!!!

P1010273.jpg

Karen with a dandy Montana mule deer. Breaks of the Missouri out of Jordan, Montana.

Welcome!!

.257 Ackley and .22-250 Ackley. Thought I'd start you off right away getting used to caliber arguments. :p;):)

Karen shoots a .250 Ackley for antelope, and deer and is deadly with it. Whenever I hear a BANG from her direction, I know there is meat on the ground. Never seen her miss and never shot twice (unless there were two critters)

On elk, she uses a .30-'06 and it's fine.

Steve

Karen shoots a .250 Ackley for antelope, and deer and is deadly with it. Whenever I hear a BANG from her direction, I know there is meat on the ground. Never seen her miss and never shot twice (unless there were two critters)

On elk, she uses a .30-'06 and it's fine.

Steve

I'm not familiar with 250 Ackley. Is that the one that is built on 250 Savage?

When my buddy was still with us, he shot a .257 Ackley Improved for deer. Just deadly. He let me bench rest it a number of times when we were working up reloads and I found it to be the sweetest shooting round ever. Accurate too! His son has a .22-250 Ackley that we were having a lot of trouble getting to the accuracy and consistency that we wanted.

I'm not familiar with 250 Ackley. Is that the one that is built on 250 Savage?

When my buddy was still with us, he shot a .257 Ackley Improved for deer. Just deadly. He let me bench rest it a number of times when we were working up reloads and I found it to be the sweetest shooting round ever. Accurate too! His son has a .22-250 Ackley that we were having a lot of trouble getting to the accuracy and consistency that we wanted.

Yep, the .250 Ackley Improved is based on the .250 Savage. Like your .257, it's simply a matter of chambering the parent round and fireforming the cases. The little round basically duplicates .257 Bob ballistics.

The .250 Ackley was PO's very favorite Improved round.

PO Ackley was a really great man, by the way. Elmer Keith was my mentor, starting at about twelve years of age. He introduced me to PO and many of the greats back in the 1950s.

Elmer sent me each of his books as they were published. Here is his inscription in the front of Hell I Was There.

Keith.jpg

I cried when he died.

He mentored me through the publication of my first article ... the .338-'06 in Handloader Magazine. I was shocked when Wolfe published it and sent me a check for $350.

You might enjoy a blonde bear I killed down in Hell's.

beardeck.jpg

bearzebra.jpg

And here's a kudu with a really lazy curl. Gorgeous critter.

kudu.jpg

And a bloody huge eland that weighed 1069kg ... well over 2,300 pounds.

eland.jpg

God Bless,

Steve

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR