Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New guy here, a question about a buddy of mine on a felony probation.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by DozerLVL, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DozerLVL

DozerLVL North Bend New Member

I'd love to take him shooting, teach him the basics of range safety and the manipulation of the various firearms I own(pistol, revolver, pump, lever, bolt action etc) but he seems to have a supreme fear of being anywhere near said firearms. I have read my state's laws regarding the issue, as well as my state's laws on the use of NFA items.

My question is this; Can I take him out shooting?

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

you can take him shooting, if his p.o. or another l.e.o. finds him in posession of a firearm he is in deep doo doo.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FortRock

FortRock Bend/Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

First....as an ex PO....No....don't do it. If you feel you must pursue this, contact P&P in Coquille and speak directly with his PO. If he is discovered to have a firearm in his hands he will probably go to jail and you may also have a problem.

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Moved to Legal & Political.

5. rolandson

rolandson Oregon Active Member

depends, do you want your friend locked up or not locked up?

6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

And probably you too for supplying weapons to a convicted felon. I wouldn't want to be there!

7. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

You furnish a known PP with a firearm, for ANY reason, and you just committed a serious crime and get yourself into PPland forever. -Aside from other consequences. You also just landed your friend back in prison.

This is very serious stuff and the consequences to both of you are substantial. DON'T do it.

8. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Just be careful don't want to loose ur guns or get into trouble over this.
    I don't think you would but who nows.

9. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

ahhh yeah, thats a big no no. Your buddies 2A rights were confiscated via the felony....

10. 142

142 Rogue Valley Member

Ouch! Yeah... I have a good friend going through the same felony probation stuff. It sucks big time. Especially if it was past stuff that the person may be way past at this point.

11. American

American Portland, Oregon New Member

Petition the courts to have firearm rights restored. Can be done without an attorney.

branson4020 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Don't do it. Your buddy gets caught, you won't see him again for 5 years or longer. Ain't worth it.

You must not think much of your friend if you want to take him shooting and subject him to more time in the pen. That's messed up.

My nephew is on felony probation at 23 years old and living with his dad. The judge said that my brother (his dad) did not have to get rid of his guns, but the boy damn well better not handle them.

13. eganx

Assuming all requirements for potential restoration have been met. He is on felony probation......his waiting period(federal requirement is 5 years for a c class felony) hasn't even started, so that's a no go.

14. American

American Portland, Oregon New Member

Yes he would have to wait until probation is completed, but it is still an option regardless of Federal law.

15. eganx

Really.......I don't think so buddy. Are you aware of what state this fellow is in? North Bend is a city/town on I-90 in the cascades......in Washington. I can guarantee you there is a 5 year wait in the state of Washington, and you must remain conviction free for the duration of the 5 years, which begins the day you are officially off parole/probation. Oregon residents may be luckier than us to the north with no waiting period after release.

16. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

North Bend is a city/town On Hwy 101 along Oregon's south central coast.

17. eganx

I stand corrected......kinda. If he is in WA what I stated applies. If he is in OR I don't know. I was under the assumption he was in the North Bend I knew about.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  18. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Well the OP did not declare which state he is in, so who knows.

My Mom was from The North Bend area so when I saw North Bend I just kinda assumed,,,,,:)