Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New guy from Southern Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by half_right_face, Feb 1, 2010.

1. half_right_face

half_right_face Ashland, OR New Member

Hey people, I live in Ashland, OR, and make frequent trips up to the Eugene/Springfield area to visit family. Recently got done with Basic training and AIT to be an infantryman in the Oregon National Guard, and as a grad gift to myself invested in a rifle and a glock. Mostly joined here to see who knows of any good shooting spots in the Ashland or Eugene/Springfield areas.

2. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Welcome to NWFA,

Wish i could help you with the shooting areas, but i am not familiar with the Ashland area

3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Me neither, but welcome anyway!

4. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

Welcome to the forum!

5. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Welcome aboard half_right_face.

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Can't tell you about Ashland, but you do know there's a very good public and free shooting range at the Jackson County Sports Park in White City?

You go out Crater Lake Hwy to Hwy 140 and turn right. Go maybe 3 miles and look for the signs on the right. Overall it's about 20 miles from you, more than 1/2 of it freeway and the rest good road.

As for Ashland, we used to go up the Dead Indian Road and shoot at the gravel pits (public land) but I can't say about that any longer. Ask around at some gun stores.

7. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

Welcome half_right_face!

Can't help on the shooting areas either.

Will

8. Gunner3456

Hi Will, I think it's worth the drive for him to the sports park. There's a long row of benches with a long roof over them. At one end it's 200 yards, at the other end it's 100. Nice paved parking, and it's all free and I've never gone there when it's really crowded. I can shoot 100yds at home, and a neighbor has a good range, but I still go to the sports park (about ten miles for me) just to meet people and see different guns, etc.

Heckuva deal, County owned, nicely done and best of all, free. I think it's about 20 minutes from Ashland.

9. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Welcome here!

10. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

Welcome Aboard

11. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

Welcome from Washington.

12. guzziboy

guzziboy Medford New Member

IMO the Grants Pass range is a better range especially if you like to shoot over 200 yards which I prefer.
    I live in Medford and usually make the drive over there only another 20-25 minutes over going to White City not to mention there pistol range is much better as well but just my two cents worth I am sure others have there own preferences.

13. Gunner3456

Where is that range? That's news to me. Sounds good. ??

14. guzziboy

If you take I-5 North take the Merlin exit I believe it is exit 61 go right at the bottom of the off ramp and take an immediate left go to the end of the road about a mile and you will run right into the range. Good luck and have fun

15. Gunner3456

OK, well Merlin is about 50 miles from Ashland and about 40 miles from Medford, where the range at White City is about 20 miles from Ashland and about 10 miles from Medford.

That would have to be a personal call for the extra driving. I'll check it out though.

16. guzziboy

Like I said just my two cents worth I am sure for some it is not worth the drive but for me it is 20 minutes to White City or 40 minutes to Merlin and I like there facility better.

17. half_right_face

half_right_face Ashland, OR New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! I hear there's a pretty good rock quarry near Jacksonville, but I think something like the gravel pits up Dead Indian would be perfect for now. Not sure, I'll keep looking into it, good idea to ask a gun store owner.