JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yup, that Shanghai. I know it isn't in the NW of anything and I can't go shooting here, but my ex-Brother-in-Law, dennisf, linked me up so I can keep my gun-itis at the itch level, at least.

I claim the Keizer-Salem area as home and have a son in Woodburn who is watching over my guns and my bikes while I am working over here (almost three years now). I spent 12 years in Texas before coming here, so I'm a little rusty on what's where in the Northwest, but it sure is good to hear some familiar place names on this forum.

Be happy to answer any questions you might have about China (a completely different world) and may throw in a comment from time to time, but mostly I'll be lurking around reading posts just to keep me going.

This forum should help with your fix for gun stuff. It should replace the magazines that you cannot get over there. There is an interesting thread on FTF sales and ways to make records for yourself and right now we are running a thread on air rifle hunting in the hunting section.
One guy on the forum (Butcher45) from Eugene has even hunted hogs with his. Sort of a Texas type thing to do. We are kicking around the different types of PCP air rifles out there. I need a little more yardage for the pigeons on the red barn across the driveway. Welcome to the group.

Thanks for the welcome.

HMMM?!?! Chinese intelligence! That hasn't been a problem from what I've seen. Kind of an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp.

Peking Duck? Good stuff. I like the skin. Fu Yung? My girlfriend whips up a terrific scrambled egg with shrimp, but I haven't seen Fu Yung since I've been here.

Norinco parts? What do you need? I've got a couple of Norinco SKSs and a Colt 1911 copy by Norinco I left with my son in Woodburn, OR. Now that you mention it, I will so some looking. I can get you some knock offs of name brand scopes, red dot sights, laser sights, and such. I'll see what's available next time I go exploring. Citizens aren't allowed to have guns over here, ya know.

Whatcha doin' over there, Miles? 能说国语吗?

Been over to Taipei a couple times myself...pretty cool culture to visit, eh?

How long have you been there?

Ghanderson10 - yeah, it's a completely different world. When people ask me why I stay, I tell them it's like being present for the birth of a nation. I'm jealous! While I can get along in Chinese (Mandarin only), I can't begin to fathom the characters in their writing.

I work for Bechtel Corp. and many of our suppliers and our projects buy goods in China to take advantage of the low labor costs. My job is to see that the goods fabricated here meet our Western standards. Not as easy as it sounds, I might add. I've been here since June '06. I came on a 9 month, short term assignment for a petroleum plant in the Middle East and got so involved in all the other work we have here in China that I was asked to stay and then transfered to the Corporate payroll so I can work for all of our various business units, Oil Gas, & Chemical (OG&C, out of Houston), Power (Pwr, out of Frederick, Maryland), and Mining & Metals (M&M, out of Brisbane, Australia).

Until I got involved with my ex-Brother-in-Law, dennisf on this forum, I was happy to be here. Now I am missing the things I really enjoyed in my previous life, i.e., shooting, hunting, fishing, riding my motorcycles (I'm an Indian guy), none of which I can do in the "worker's paradise" of China. OK, that's not fair. China does not call itself the worker's paradise and they have taken capitalism to new levels. Some things don't work that well here, but they are definitely trying to get some foreign involvement in their country.

I will be 61 next month, divorced, and living in "hog heaven" for a single, old guy. My girlfriend is 37 (older than one of my three children - that's important from my perspective. One of the guys I know is married to a gal that is younger than his grandchildren), treats me like a king, and keeps me feeling like I'm 18. She says I can have other girlfriends as long as I don't bring them home or flaunt them in front of her.

You can call me anything you want, Yester, as long as it's clean, and thanks for the welcome.

Miles

Last Edited:
Sweet gig man :)

I've thought about trying to get a degree that would allow me to do the same thing, but I don't know if I'd want to stay long-term. After what happened to Freighliner, everyone wants US-born managers over there, lol

Taiwan was the same way; I could drool in the airsoft stores over there, but it wasn't quite the same... at least they don't have to have the orange markings :confused:

Welcome to the boards Miles!! Can we call you Chinaman? ;)

Moore: When Crazy Horse was a baby, he nursed at the breast of every woman in the tribe. The Sioux raised their children that way. Every warrior called every woman in the tribe "Mother". Every older warrior, they called him "Grandfather". Now, the point here is that they fought as a family. Take care of your men. Teach them to take care of each other. 'Cause when this starts... each other is all we're gonna have. (Moore goes aside with new radio operator)

Plumley: Any of you sons-of-*****es calls me "Grandpa"... I'll kill ya.

Ghanderson10 - yeah, it's a completely different world. When people ask me Now I am missing the things I really enjoyed in my previous life, i.e., shooting, hunting, fishing, riding my motorcycles (I'm an Indian guy), none of which I can do in the "worker's paradise" of China. OK, that's not fair. China does not call itself the worker's paradise and they have taken capitalism to new levels. Some things don't work that well here, but they are definitely trying to get some foreign involvement in their country.

Miles

One of my coworkers used to live and work in China as well... She has the same comments, that she missed her freedoms. She has quite a story to tell about how the government took her US Passport and tried to prevent her from leaving the country! Needless to say, she eventually got back to the US.

It's easy to forget that people's freedoms really ARE restricted in some other countries, especially since the media tends to gloss over the facts, it makes me appreciate our freedoms even more. Sadly, I believe that we will see more restrictions in the next decade, as our government attempts to "fix" the recession.

Anyways, I think that as China allows more freedoms - and I do believe the will - we had all better start learning Chineese as that might someday (in 20-30 years) be a useful language to know.

NWMoss - When was your co-worker here? I've made quite a few entries and exits in past 2+ years and never had a problem. I know they take it very serious if you let your Visa expire or, if you're not here on a resident permit, not exiting the country every 90 days to renew your Visa. Most folks I know in that category just go to Hong Kong for a weekend, but if you miss by a day your in deep doo doo with the Chinese government. I'm on a resident permit so I only have to take a 30 consecutive day absence once every five years, to keep the Chinese government happy.

The Chinese government is really loosening up on the urban dwellers but the rural folks still have a pretty heavy hand on them. Things are not at all what I expected. I fully expected, in a totalitarian communist country that the police would be all powerful. That is probably true for criminal investigations, but the routine cop on the street seems to be a pretty nice guy that everyone ignores.

Miles

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads