JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone.

I am completely new to firearms but grew up around them. I used to pick up brass at the range after my dad was finished so hecould go home and reload the casings. I find I am like minded to a few of the avid shooters I've met over the years and decided to join in. I just picked up my first hand gun after researching models. I ened up getting a SIG Sauer handgun, just like my dad was fond of as a kid. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm still in the 10 day waiting period (what is that all about?) but once that is over I am looking to go to a range. I'm in the Bonney Lake area. Does anyone know of any open ranges I can go to for instruction and practice once I get the gun in hand?

I'm a reader as well. Are there any good books that I can study up on marksmanship drills so that I don't develop any bad habits?

Thanks all!

Hopefully some folks from the Tacoma and Puyallup area will respond.

An internet search on 'military marksmanship manuals' will get you links to some good instruction, though the emphasis is on rifles. If you tell us what [if any] internet video sites you frequent for firearms information, folks could maybe get you pointed in a specific direction.

You'll want to spend some time in the Firearms Law & Legal forum, and the Firearms Legislation & Activism forum getting up to speed on existing laws and regulations, and further proposed infringements on the Constitution.

Bob

Hopefully some folks from the Tacoma and Puyallup area will respond.

An internet search on 'military marksmanship manuals' will get you links to some good instruction, though the emphasis is on rifles. If you tell us what [if any] internet video sites you frequent for firearms information, folks could maybe get you pointed in a specific direction.

You'll want to spend some time in the Firearms Law & Legal forum, and the Firearms Legislation & Activism forum getting up to speed on existing laws and regulations, and further proposed infringements on the Constitution.

Bob
Thanks Bob. My wifes good friend is telling that the guns and ammo need to be locked up in a safe. I spoke quite a while to the gun shop owner about gun security laws and locking up the ammo never came up. He also said that the gun can be considered secured if there is a locking loop of thin cable through the breach that renders in unable to cycle.

I need to sort this out because my wife is upset. We have a close friend who's son comitted suicide with an unsecured 9mm handgun and she is worried about the guns and ammo not being locked up after chatting with her friend.

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods, The Marksman in Puyallup had some handgun 101 classes that I've seen posted in the past. My range is Paul Bunyon in Puyallup and I believe they offer classes from time to time as well.

Glad you found us.

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods, The Marksman in Puyallup had some handgun 101 classes that I've seen posted in the past. My range is Paul Bunyon in Puyallup and I believe they offer classes from time to time as well.

Glad you found us.
Thanks for the info! Are most ranges open? I assumed they were closed to to the quarentine.

Edit: I googled and it appears that they are open with limited hours. That's great.

I need to sort this out because my wife is upset. We have a close friend who's son comitted suicide with an unsecured 9mm handgun and she is worried about the guns and ammo not being locked up after chatting with her friend.

You need to deal respectfully with your wife's fear. If she didn't grow up around guns, your respect for her feelings, willingness to hear her out, steps you plan to take to minimize risks to visitors, etc. will go a long way toward acceptance [even if it is grudging at first]. She's your wife, and your relationship matters. Your patience and willingness to calmly work through her concerns will be worth it in the long run.

I have a concealed carry permit, so my everyday carry pistol is on me all day long, from when I get up to when I go to bed at night. While sleeping, it is on a shelf in the clothes closet two steps from my side of the bed. [I need to travel that far to be sure I'm fully awake and lucid if an emergency were to occur.] Otherwise it is locked in a safe with all the other firearms. Aside from some loaded magazines in the safe with those firearms, all my other ammunition is locked in a steel storage cabinet. Both are bolted to the floor.
Shield and Alabama holster.jpg

If you don't yet have a safe, a lock box screwed to the wall in an unobtrusive location is probably the minimal security I would find temporarily acceptable. I would recommend you not buy any more firearms until you can secure the pistol you purchased, and your wife realizes you are taking safety [hers and others] seriously. Firearms, like other tools that can be misused, need to be maintained - and kept safe from youngsters and thieves.

Lots of opinions on this forum, some of which will likely be out of your financial reach immediately. It's a learning process. Everyone here has an opinion, based on our own experience and lifestyle constraints. If you spend time reading through the forums you will learn a lot, and avoid bugging some people with questions that have been asked before.

If you don't yet have a safe, a lock box screwed to the wall in an unobtrusive location is probably the minimal security I would find temporarily acceptable. I would recommend you not buy any more firearms until you can secure the pistol you purchased, and your wife realizes you are taking safety [hers and others] seriously. Firearms, like other tools that can be misused, need to be maintained - and kept safe from youngsters and thieves.

Lots of opinions on this forum, some of which will likely be out of your financial reach immediately. It's a learning process. Everyone here has an opinion, based on our own experience and lifestyle constraints. If you spend time reading through the forums you will learn a lot, and avoid bugging some people with questions that have been asked before.

Thank you. This is great advice and a very well written reply. I completely agree.

I will definately be looking for a safe immediately. I was anyway, but it's odd that the friend is adamant that WA State law mandates that the ammunition be locked up seperately. While I don't disagree, I don't see anything pertaining that in in WA state law. Is she correct and I missed something?

... but it's odd that the friend is adamant that WA State law mandates that the ammunition be locked up seperately.

Posted your question in the Firearm Laws & Legal Forum

Welcome to this board..
Looks Like Dungannon has your OIRISH Back...;);)

This means that one of the cardianal rules is that given the Proper Oppertunities* you must buy those
w/ at least one Irish gene a shot of Single Malt Irish made in the traditional Pot Still method....;) :cool:

Dungannon must bring an OLDE ORANGE FLUTE

There is currently no state law that requires you to secure a firearm or ammunition, nor keep them separate. Your municipality may have a different opinion of the State preemption law, though.

Initiative 1639 | Washington State

What @Dungannon says about your spouse though is very wise advice. Have her read the AG's website description and ask her opinion. Provide her your reasoning for keeping ammo with your firearm. Reach a consensus.

You are getting good advice,
and some of the best is that
should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to defend, perhaps w/ lethality,
ya wanna be sure you has that ammoz.

Been there, and couldn't mate a mag to a pistol..o_O
Lesson learned.

There is currently no state law that requires you to secure a firearm or ammunition, nor keep them separate. Your municipality may have a different opinion of the State preemption law, though.

Initiative 1639 | Washington State

What @Dungannon says about your spouse though is very wise advice. Have her read the AG's website description and ask her opinion. Provide her your reasoning for keeping ammo with your firearm. Reach a consensus.
@Whiskey_Irish While @Xaevian's post is correct, note that the law that came out of I-1639 doesn't say you must lock up your firearm and/or ammo, it does say that if your firearm is lost through theft, you can be held liable for it's use in a crime if you did not have it "stored properly" (according to the language in I-1639). The exception to this crap law is if you notify your local LEO within 5 day's of the firearm's disappearance, then you're off the hook.

What we're all trying to get across to you is, know the law.

Does Initiative 1639 require that I keep my firearm in secure storage?

No. The new law doesn't directly require that a firearm be stored in a particular place or in a particular way.

But if your firearm is not in secure storage, and you knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm could be accessed by someone who is prohibited from possessing a firearm, such as a child, under some circumstances you may be charged with a crime.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a felony if a person who is legally ineligible to possess a firearm uses it to injure or kill themselves or someone else.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a gross misdemeanor if a prohibited person discharges it and uses the firearm:
  1. In a way that shows intent to intimidate someone or that warrants alarm for the safety of others, or
  2. In the commission of a crime.
The new safe storage requirements are not violated:
  1. If the firearm was in secure gun storage or was secured with a trigger lock or similar device; or
  2. If the person is ineligible to possess because of age but the access is with parental permission and under adult supervision; or
  3. In cases of self-defense; or
  4. If the person who is ineligible to possess the firearm:
    • Obtains it through unlawful entry, and
    • The unauthorized access or theft is reported to law enforcement within five days of the time the owner knew or should have known that the firearm had been taken.

Does Initiative 1639 require law enforcement to come to my house to make sure I'm storing my firearm properly?

No. The new law doesn't require that a firearm be stored in a particular place or in a particular way.

There are strict constitutional limits on when law enforcement can enter your home.

Does Initiative 1639 make me liable if my firearm is stolen and used in a crime?

No, not if you report it as stolen. The new law specifically provides an exemption from the storage requirement for a firearms owner if their firearm is taken from them:

1. Through unlawful entry, and
  2. The unauthorized access or theft is reported to law enforcement within five days of the time the owner knew or should have known that the firearm had been taken.

What is secure storage?

Effective July 1, 2019, Washington law defines "secure gun storage" as

1. A locked box, gun safe, or other secure locked storage space that is designed to prevent unauthorized use or discharge of a firearm; and
  2. The act of keeping an unloaded firearm stored by such means.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top