JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome.
And when voting, remember that the 2nd A doesn't say.....

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Aloha, Mark

Welcome.
And when voting, remember that the 2nd A doesn't say.....

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Aloha, Mark
YUP!!!

The Preamble to the Bill of Rights
snip.......

Pp 2:
"The Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution expressed a desire in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution."

IE: They are OUR RIGHTS......not Dot Guv....

1591346917164.jpeg

Welcome! You asked about books, so I'm going to mention the book that has most benefited me in becoming a better shooter. Brian Enos' " Practical Shooting" is one that I keep rereading again and again, and always getting more out of. It's written from a competition viewpoint, and there are a lot of drills and good advice contained therein. It's also probably a good idea to check out an in person class.... the ones for concealed carry permits give you a whole lot of useful information.

Welcome! You asked about books, so I'm going to mention the book that has most benefited me in becoming a better shooter. Brian Enos' " Practical Shooting" is one that I keep rereading again and again, and always getting more out of. It's written from a competition viewpoint, and there are a lot of drills and good advice contained therein. It's also probably a good idea to check out an in person class.... the ones for concealed carry permits give you a whole lot of useful information.
I appreciate the book suggestion it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I just placed an order for a copy.

I want to start out focusing on gun safety and overall concepts - and then practive drills. I used to read quite abit about concept in performance motorcycling and would then practice them in the read world. I feel like that approach works well for me. I have a good friend who is a firearms instructor who has been nudging me to get a pistol. He's generously offered to show me the beginner ropes at the range so I don't pick up and bad habits that I need to try to break later on.

I'm glad I found this forum. You guys have been very informative and helpful!

I have a good friend who is a firearms instructor who has been nudging me to get a pistol. He's generously offered to show me the beginner ropes at the range so I don't pick up and bad habits that I need to try to break later on.
By all means, take him up on that! Having a good friend that knows something about the art and is willing to share is good stuff right there. :s0155:

What did you get? You mentioned a SIG. What model, size, and caliber? We all want to know,. even though no one else is asking... ;)
I'm extremely partial to SIG pistols myself...

I picked up a SIG P320 M17 with out a manual safety which I wasn't aware existed. When the owner went to pick up a gun from the back that was new in it's case we opened the box there it was. Dark Earth M17 with no manual safety. It's caused alot of interest in the shop as no one present was are that this variant was available. It's a beutiful hand gun.

I like manual safety's, but the guys in the gun shop asked me how I plan to use it and we talked quite a while about which I might actually prefer in the real world. After thinking about it I went for the model with out the manual safety because the body seems less prone to catch on clothing with out it. I don't plan on carrying it every day and if I do I won't carry it chambered. This makes me feel that an unchambered weapon is already 'safe', but I'm sure this is a huge point of debate based on personal comfort levels and experience.

M17-NMS-1a.jpg

I picked up a SIG P320 M17 with out a manual safety which I wasn't aware existed. When the owner went to pick up a gun from the back that was new in it's case we opened the box there it was. Dark Earth M17 with no manual safety. It's caused alot of interest in the shop as no one present was are that this variant was available. It's a beutiful hand gun.

I like manual safety's, but the guys in the gun shop asked me how I plan to use it and we talked quite a while about which I might actually prefer in the real world. After thinking about it I went for the model with out the manual safety because the body seems less prone to catch on clothing with out it. I don't plan on carrying it every day and if I do I won't carry it chambered. This makes me feel that an unchambered weapon is already 'safe', but I'm sure this is a huge point of debate based on personal comfort levels and experience.

View attachment 707895
Brilliant choice! In what caliber?
I have a P320 Compact in .40S&W, striker-fired (no safety). I absolutely adore it. Shoots true and quickly. You are really going to like your new pistol. :s0155:

...an unchambered weapon is already 'safe', but I'm sure this is a huge point of debate based on personal comfort levels and experience.
Yeah, you just threw gasoline on a dumpster fire, there. ;) Everybody's going to have an opinion on that, and 98.6% will say "What's the point of an empty chamber? You gonna ask the criminal to wait while you rack it?" to which I would agree. When I first got my 320, I carried it for a little while without a loaded chamber, not being familiar with a "non-safety'ed" pistol before that. But after I gained enough familiarity with it, I put one in the pipe and have been carrying it that way ever since. Same thing with my P365, which is also striker-fired. There's not much point in carrying a firearm for PD if it's not ready to rock when you need it to be. I'm sure that once you become more confident in your firearms handling, you will carry with a loaded chamber.

What does Eric Bana say to Jason Isaacs in Black Hawk Down? "This is my safety..." :s0140:

BHD_this_is_my_safety.jpg

Last Edited:
I got the 9mm. :D

I agree with the idea of no manual safety, I mean that is why I went with this model but before that moment I had never really thought about. My entire life it's been drilled into me to check the safety. Even then I never felt comforablt with a loaded firearm laying in the open and always treated it as loaded, chambered and off safety. Just depends on the use of the firearm when I think about. A personal defence handgun doesn't make much sense for it to have a safety and not ready to fire, but I see the arguments both ways. It's just personal preference.

Discussing whther to have a manual safety seems very much like discussing which oil to use with motorsports guys. It's like bringing up a political topic at Thanksgiving. ;)

Next look at a Sig P365 in 9mm.
W or W/O safety.
I like the Ambi Thumb safety. It is super easy and 1 more step avoiding bad things happening.
I have one, but without the safety. None of my EDC guns have safeties. I let my brain use its critical thinking skilz to perform that function...

Love your avatar, BTW... :s0155:

I had one, but lacked the confidence in my skill set....:(
Now I have the safety....:)

Either way, these are really great for EDC...

I had 2nd Gen G19s before, Sigs fit my hand much better..

So do CZs....:)

Almost the same gun I shoot ~ 800 rounds a week through, I'll echo "brilliant choice"! Mine is the p320 X5 Legion in 9mm. Purely a competition gun for me so far, my edc is a CZ-97.

Thanks for compliments on the gun choice. I'm pretty excited to learn more about shooting. Can't wait untill the 10 day waiting period is over. Does is actually take the full 10 business days or could the results come through sooner?

It doesn't have to take the full 10 days. Results could come back sooner.
That being said, the COVID plandemic, hotly followed up by all of the rioting nationwide, could very well place you toward the back of the line.
Looks like your OP was last Thursday, so 4 days ago. Assuming that you posted on the day you filled out your 4473 to start the BGC, I'd give it another coupla days and then call your FFL and see if your BGC has cleared.

Thought I'd throw in a pic of my "father-son" EDC family, to keep you salivating in anticipation of your new bundle of joy...
Sig Sauer P320-P365 comparison-left.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews