JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not that kind of gutter info, you sick betards!!!

The gutters on my house are over thirty years old, and I'm having trouble repairing and even cleaning them! I'm a life long, twice yearly gutter cleaner! :D
Need some new ones! Does anyone have a recommendation for a an honest, reasonable gutter installer! I live in inner NE PDX, thank you in advance! :)

Sounds like we're neighbors.
I have seen some gutter installs in the neighborhood, but I haven't yet looked into them. I can say, I'm impressed with gutter tech these days though: custom rolled on site and the whole no-clog thing is cool. Our place is about 75years old, but dunno about the gutters. Looking forward to seeing what comes up, I know our turn is coming soon.

I've always wondered how well those no-clog gutters work with Douglas fir needles. They look like they would still get in and eventually need to be cleaned and the no clog part would make cleaning them even harder.

Don't put Leaf Filter gutters on. They don't work at all once they get a little dirt on them. Might as well just put plastic wrap over your gutters.

If you have a single story house with simple gable eaves, you can cut your cost down by 1/3rd by installing them yourself.
Montaviila Sheet Metal has a gutter machine truck and they come to your house and cut to whatever length you need. Plus they have all of the other items you need.
I use the hidden gutter fasteners that screw into the rafter tails instead of the old style spike and ferules.

Can't remember which subcontractor installed my no-name gutters 5 years ago on a split-level mid-century house, but I made him re-do them. Whether you hang them yourself or pay an installer, get on your roof with a hose and check them before you declare the job done.

My new gutters were perfectly lined up on the eaves so they looked great. But on a home built in 1954 on a steep, unstable incline (SW Hills), the downspout ends on 2 out of 5 long runs were higher, storing several gallons of heavy water (or ice) at the wrong ends!

You'd think they'd use a level. Or maybe they thought I'd happily write a check and never inspect the work.

I made the sub come back and rehang both sections properly, on his dime, so they flowed down to the downspouts - what a concept.

Make sure your new gutters function properly!

I have several very large fir trees by the house, so when it came time for a new roof I got separate bids for the gutters. In calling the various gutter companies, I always asked if they had large fir/pine trees next to their homes or shops. And for those that did, I asked what worked best for reducing the need for cleaning. Without exception they said to go with oversize gutters, and oversized downspouts with cleanouts.

It's been a couple years now, but the difference has been amazing. I still get the occasional branch that causes some damming, but otherwise the pine cones and needles just flow to the end and pile up at the cleanout.

And like Teflon said above, make it clear from the beginning that you won't pay unless the gutters actually drain. My facia boards are level, and I told the installer that I expected to see the gutter tight to the roofing at the far end, and at least one inch lower at the downspout end.

Ditto on jbetts advise to use the hidden screw fasteners as they won't back out like nails. As it was, the five bids I got all used that type.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top