JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well the wife bought me a Karh P380 today. I have not had a chance to get any rounds for it as the store was sold out of 380.

I am curious what peoles thoughts are on the standard 380 ammo, HP, +P and whatever other variants there are.

I have heard that the +p ammo would put it on par with the 9mm para round, which if so how do guns handle the extra power?

Also any effect on controllability?

Thanks for taking the time and I am looking forward to hearing your responses, hope everyone had a good christmas and is safe this coming new year.

There are plenty of hollowpoint rounds that perform well in .380. Cor-Bon Pow'RBall is specifically designed for controlled expansion and resists clothing snags that produce over-penetration. I don't recall the exact performance specs but I do remember it being on par with standard velocity 9mm defense ammo, as mentioned earlier.

I did a quick search and I didn't fine anything on whether your pistol is rated for +P. You may want to check the manual or call them. I have a KelTek P3AT that they did say that you shouldn't run +P through all the time. I do shoot +P in it occasionally and it handles it just fine. Recoil is very noticeable with the hotter ammo, but it should be a little easier with the Kahr.

Well the wife bought me a Karh P380 today. I have not had a chance to get any rounds for it as the store was sold out of 380.

I am curious what peoles thoughts are on the standard 380 ammo, HP, +P and whatever other variants there are.

I have heard that the +p ammo would put it on par with the 9mm para round, which if so how do guns handle the extra power?

Also any effect on controllability?

Thanks for taking the time and I am looking forward to hearing your responses, hope everyone had a good christmas and is safe this coming new year.

One thing I have heard about the 380 is that so many have been sold recently that the ammo companies cannot keep up with the demand for the ammo. Hope you can find some soon.

it seems locally, Mason/Kitsap, the larger stores are starting to free up some 380. a friend an i just picked up some from wholesale sports for $14 per 50, and we got some on sale there for $11. I've even seen it at some of the smaller shops for close to that. as far as rounds go, good ole Remington UMC FMJ ball is what i like to shoot, just seems to be available and consistent. FMJ ball is prolly your best bet, or a good flat nose. i dont see the P380 having any issues with +P's as long as you dont shoot them as target rounds, id say test out some +P's to find what you like, then shoot standards for target.

Good olde-fashioned Federal Hydra-Shok JHP work well in 380. Mine penetrated three water jugs and expanded well in my own unscientific test.

This guy tested lots of ammo and recommends the XTP bullet

I just tested an HPR XTP 380 on Sunday, the bullet made it into the fourth jug but was completely unexpanded!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tested an HPR XTP 380 on Sunday, the bullet made it into the fourth jug but was completely unexpanded!

XTP's are awesome bullets, they need to be fired from something with more poop to get the full benefit. XTP's are designed to be a penetrating hollow point meaning they drive deeper before opening up. Unfortunatly the same design gets plugged easier and might not open at all with the lower velocity calbers

Look into Gold Dots, straight up mean in any caliber and the even make HP's for short barrel apps in Gold Dot......as far as HP's in 380 only causing a flesh wound......wow that's ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a LCP as my "better than nothing" gun and only do so because I understand the limitations of the caliber and the gun (2.75" barrel) . A deep, narrow wound channel is better than a shallow larger one so I believe a harder solid projectile will yield much better results out of a firearm that is designed for "arms length" encounters (like the Kahr p380) where optimal shot placement would not be likely and layers of clothing might be an issue.

Sectional density (length relative width) also comes into play with all ballistics but especially with a .380. Its not just that a .380 projectile is slower and lighter than a 9mm or a .40 it is that it has much less sectional density. That is why an arrow that flies a couple hundred fps is deadlier than any of them.

I carry a Tarus TCP .380. I have fired hundreds of rounds through this gun. My carry load is Hornaday Critical Defense round. There are a hollow point with a plastic insert to prevent ramp feed jams, which I did have with some other hollow points. This round feeds fine and makes just as nasty as a hole as a FMJ. I have put about 20 rounds through mine. $ 19 for 20 rounds so not a target load by any means.

If you are using a .380 for defense and are expecting elephant knockdown power, it is not happening. But properly used inside of 15 yards, a .380 will make somebody very dead if applied properly. Outside of 15 yards, you better be running away or looking for a little more pop with a longer barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top