JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Decided to finally pick up my first 9mm for an EDC (taking my class soon) after first thinking I was going to get the 43x I ended up deciding on the Glock 48 non MOS. The only other handgun I own is a MKIV

My initial plan was to get SA mags but they're both hard to get and expensive so I am going to run OEM mags.

I would like to upgrade the mag release button and just wanted to clarify that I should stay away from metal and go for a polymer extended mag release? I have read and heard that the metal on polymer will create a notch in the mag, any experience with this?

I'm on the hunt for ammo so I can get some practice in cause nothing makes you better like practice. Any other things I should look for or do? I don't want to have the lightest trigger but would like a smooth reliable trigger but won't mess with anything untill I get range time.

thanks for the help gun fans

-Brandon

I suggest just getting what you can for the time being. The cost of doing business. Also bartering is alive and well. I've gotten some powder and primers that way. Just try and keep as much of your dignity as you can. Again, the price of doing business.

Sportsman's warehouse has been the most consistent for ammo lately for me. The one in Medford, OR gets ammo shipments on Thursdays, sorts it on Fridays, and sells it out of their customer service area starting Saturday morning, limiting people to two 50 round or smaller boxes or one larger box. There can be quite the line on Saturday morning, but they generally have at least some 9mm left over in the afternoon. I have no idea if any of their other stores follow similar policies/practices.

Another place to check is Bi-mart, but the local stores' schedules seem to be less consistent and is more hit or miss for me.

Also note, defensive ammo is going to be both harder to find and more expensive than practice ammo. You can also check online through resources like AmmoSeek (https://ammoseek.com/), but shipping is usually high as is the price per round. Buying local would be the cheaper option, if available.

Congratulations on the purchase and enjoy your new gun!

Edit: Personally, I'd stick with new (non-reloaded/remanufactured) brass cased ammo. Steel cased may be cheaper, but I've always heard it will wear your gun faster so I avoid it. And I don't shoot reloads, whether from individuals or a company. It's worth the cost and peace of mind to go with newly manufactured to me.

@BrandonOR

For a new EDC, get used to the stock trigger and polymer mag catch/release first, then decide later. Coming from a MKIV, at least wait until your class and get some rounds down range while under artificial pressure - you may grow to appreciate the heavier trigger pull.

As for the 48's 10rd oem magazines, I would verify how many magazines your class requires. If you have to get more OEMs and don't want them later, you can recoup some of the investment in the classifieds.

Congrats and welcome the Glock club!

I suggest just getting what you can for the time being. The cost of doing business. Also bartering is alive and well. I've gotten some powder and primers that way. Just try and keep as much of your dignity as you can. Again, the price of doing business.
fnb8t.jpg

Dignity.... Hmmm lol

People on here I've dealt with have been good so far, maybe I just avoid the ridiculous posts

Nice. I also carry a 48. I am using the oem mags until my shield mags show up (placed a back order about a month ago). Plastic mag, plastic release. If you go to metal mags you will want to get a metal mag release. Good luck on the search for ammo my friend. You're joining a large party in the same boat. You will not be disappointed in the 48. I'd just suggest upgrading the iron sights at some point.

88D5C33A-1AE0-4D3E-888F-DBDF18A64241.jpeg

The newer laser training "cartridge " systems are getting cheaper and better every time they launch.
My younger brother in law got really proficient quickly training with his h&k using one of those.
With ammo prices being what they are, it's a potential savings in the long run.

Vickers does a nice job with his Glock upgrades.
Never any useless bling.
Always well thought out stuff that just works better than OEM.
Yep, I also use the slide stops on all my guns and a bunch of my mags have the magazine end plates, I didn't mention it because it wasn't the subject of the OP, but they are a huge improvement without penalty. Also, I only use Glock mags.

Nice. I also carry a 48. I am using the oem mags until my shield mags show up (placed a back order about a month ago). Plastic mag, plastic release. If you go to metal mags you will want to get a metal mag release. Good luck on the search for ammo my friend. You're joining a large party in the same boat. You will not be disappointed in the 48. I'd just suggest upgrading the iron sights at some point.

View attachment 882776
I'll bet money when you do get your SA mags, they'll be the new Gen 2 ambi version. :cool: They're getting really close to releasing them, hang in there. The wait is worth it. Although, if the SA mags didn't exist, I'd be perfectly happy with the factory 10rd'ers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top