JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those that do I may or may not be attracted to.

Abraham Lincoln put it a bit more succinctly:

"I could never want a woman blockheaded enough to have me."

Here the endeth the lesson. :s0159:

aaaaaand while we're on the subject . . .

TOP 10 REASONS WHY GUNS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN

#10 - You can trade a 44 for a pair of 22's.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun never asks, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you fall sleep after you use it.

AND THE #1 REASON GUNS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN:

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun!

Meh - I like guns, but a good woman can be priceless. I just don't hold much hope for finding one that likes me, and at this point in my life, after looking for one for several decades, I have more or less given up. The odds are against me.

Very few women want to date, much less marry an out of shape 63 year old balding man that is borderline Aspergers with a gun fetish, survivalist tendencies and heretical Libertarian politics.

The only woman I have found that seems to like me and I like her lives in N. Dakota and can't afford to move here, while I am disinclined to pay to move her here just so I can learn if we are compatible.

Brother ain't that the truth

Abraham Lincoln put it a bit more succinctly:

"I could never want a woman blockheaded enough to have me."

Here the endeth the lesson. :s0159:

aaaaaand while we're on the subject . . .

TOP 10 REASONS WHY GUNS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN

#10 - You can trade a 44 for a pair of 22's.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun never asks, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you fall sleep after you use it.

AND THE #1 REASON GUNS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN:

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun!

My wife got me the tee shirt with this on it.

Very few women want to date, much less marry an out of shape 63 year old balding man that is borderline Aspergers with a gun fetish, survivalist tendencies and heretical Libertarian politics.

The only woman I have found that seems to like me and I like her lives in N. Dakota and can't afford to move here, while I am disinclined to pay to move her here just so I can learn if we are compatible.

I think you are selling yourself short,
I'm 52 and I quit looking many years ago
Everytime I start considering even dating, all I can think
about is the wonderful drama-free solitude I enjoy living
alone. If my builder ever finishes my house I will probably
get another dog, cause it's nice to have something pleased to see
me when I come home

No. I am just realistic, and even more relevant, I am comfortable with my single life (it took quite a while to get there) and I was miserable being married, so I am just not that inclined to get involved with just anybody because they are of the opposite gender.

Maybe when I retire but even then, I am more interested in seeing new wild places than I am in meeting people. People have generally disappointed me, wilderness hasn't.

I'm fortunate to be married to a good one. We are a single income family, and she is the primary manager of the finances - I have several bills I take care of paying each month, but she handles the bulk of it, and does a very good job of it.

When it comes to purchases, we both know we can make a purchase without the other's consent, but neither of us would make a large purchase that involves digging into our cash without first consulting the other - and we both use good discretion when making purchase decisions. As it is, we work very well this way. It did take us some years of work to get to this point, but things have run very smoothly for years now, and I'm a happy guy.

Where I don't consult her is when I sell something to buy something else - if it doesn't impact the budget, she doesn't have any expectation of me to inform her. I do show her though as she is usually quite interested in what I buy or trade.

Going on our 25th year now and all I can say is, after the work it took to get where we are today, I can't say I'd be willing to go through it all again should she go before me. As much as I would miss her companionship, that would be difficult, if not impossible to replace.

I guess I have just never liked asking for anyone's permission or approval/etc. to do anything I want to do. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I have little faith in the ability of others to do any better, and when it comes to money I earn it really grates me to have someone else try to tell me what I should do with it.

I guess I have just never liked asking for anyone's permission or approval/etc. to do anything I want to do. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I have little faith in the ability of others to do any better, and when it comes to money I earn it really grates me to have someone else try to tell me what I should do with it.

I think asking permission is different from keeping someone else informed. I have no problem with my wife spending my income - we're a single income family and she is heavily invested in homeschooling our daughter, a tough job in and of itself, and one that is unpaid. She works hard to manage our budget and is always on the lookout for ways to better how we handle finances. I do see my income as ours, as all our debts as ours. I don't have to ask permission, but I do so out of respect for her, as she does for me. She has never said no to any request, nor would she. I also wouldn't say no to hers either. We're at a point where we both know what's good for our family and what isn't, and we both work for the betterment of the family, not the individual, so neither of us would make big purchases that could harm us. Like I said, it didn't start that way, it took years to get here, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I trust her with our money, our daughter and my life.

The amount of work it took to get to this place is precisely why I wouldn't likely ever do it again should that time come. At that point it would likely be easier to stay single than to try and build up what can take years to do. Trust, respect and understanding take a long time to cultivate.

Yes - I have trust issues, and with good reason - long story I do not feel like sharing - but I have had more than one woman try to latch onto me because I could provide them with income they did not want to earn themselves, and more (spending child support on vacations/etc.).

The first post does infer asking permission or approval or at the least, minimizing flak for spending my own money. That I not only do not need, if I experience it, I walk away from that person and do not look back.

I have a grown adult daughter that I help out financially. I have no debt except a mortgage. I have substantial assets - savings, retirement and real estate. At this point in time I am not struggling to make ends meet or provide for others - I have . Beyond helping my daughter I have no obligations to anyone else and I prefer it that way.

If I had kids in the house and it was hard to make ends meet, and I was married and so on, I would of course work in cooperation with the household, but I don't and I do not need or want to take on that responsibility again. I look forward to retirement and spending what little time I have enjoying my toys and free time alone.

I worked with a guy years ago who had what I thought was an odd marriage. His wife was seriously in charge. He had to literally ask permission from her for anything.

We worked shift together, and would talk guns occasionally. This was back when you could buy Turk Mausers at Big 5 for $50. I had just bought a couple, and he decided he wanted one. For that price how can you go wrong? The next day he was downcast. Mama said no.

Not long after that we had a cookout, the whole crew together. His wife was there, and she came over to me and told me that she would appreciate if I didn't talk guns to Jeff anymore, as it just made him want one. I laughed because I thought she was joking, but her look told me she was not joking. They didn't last long (imagine that!)

On the very short list of all important things I want to teach my kids, near the top is the importance of choosing wisely when it comes to a spouse. Find a good one (as well as being a good one) and it can be the best thing in the world. I think about the worst thing a young guy can do is think "Wow she's hot! Let's get married!"

A cousin of mine found that out the hard way. He was in his late teens and always working on cars in the family shop. A cute little neighbor girl in her early teens had a crush on him and was always trying to hang out and talk to him.

At first he tried to shoo her away since she was too young and just annoyed him. By the time she was 17 or so she was smoking hot, and what young guy in his early 20's could turn that down?

His friends said "Dude don't do it, she's crazy."
His family said "Don't do it, she's nuts."
His brother said "Dude don't, she's a loon."

When she turned 18 they got married. Divorced a couple years later. She was nuts.

Never had a need of this. I have always made sure the house comes first and what money I have after that is spent on my hobbies as I see fit. The wife works and does the same.

We do the same thing. Separate accounts, split the bills, home priorities come first. One of our keys to being happy.

My wife grew up with guns around the house, so she is used to it.

With that being said, I don't push it...

315143-fe0a2767d9eb47dc68f275b3f161b9c5.jpg

Lol..... there are some great quips here, but in my case, most of my guns have been with me pre-marriage and if I drop dead this afternoon, my wife won't get a chance to sell them....My twin boys will quickly unload the gun safe and scurry away with the bounty if for no other reason than the ridiculous background check laws that can be avoided in this manner...or that's what would happen if all my guns hadn't been tragically lost in that boating accident while crossing the bar on the Columbia :rolleyes:

I used to shoot a lot of registered trap. Trap shooters seam to trade/collect a lot of shotguns. Waiting to shoot a round one day I overheard two shooters talking and one wanted to buy another shotgun but said his wife didn't like him owning/buying more guns. The other shooter said he should use the broom handle method. He said you put a broom handle in a gun case and make a show to the wife as you head out the door to go shoot. Then you put the new purchase in the case, throw away the broom handle and go home. I chuckled for a week over that one. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top