JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings,

So I have several handguns and a shotgun at home. I've never felt the need to have a gun in my home for sd, but since I now own them, it would be silly for me to not have access to them if/when needed. We have no kids and they're locked up. But, I've been in the habit of carrying my Walther Q4, in a Safepacker holster/bag when sitting at the table, tv or on the computer etc...Not around others. I want to get used to having "gun consciousness" and familiarity with the forearm. Perhaps prepare for concealed carry later. I do like to unload it, pull it out and do some dry firing and generally love the feel of the steel frame in my hands. Am I asking for trouble? Should I just leave it alone in the safe?
I also realize that in almost every direction from my house (cul de sac) and back yard, there are very few lines of sight that do not intersect with a neighbor ( I have a light/laser). Is it common practice for gun owners to actively determine when and where in your house you could fire your gun in sd without killing unintended target? I was shocked to hear of a friend who is a lifelong gun owner who kept a handgun in the BR with both of his kids rooms directly down the hall from the bedroom door. He said he finally figured that out and decided on a shotgun or something. What do people in condos and apartments do to mitigate tragedy?
Do people keep quick access safes or holster ready to go around house? Just looking for ideas and advice. Thanks in advance.

You should know all angles of defense. (sorry, this isn't about killing, it's about your defense)
Knowing those angles will help you know what is in front of your intended defensive area. Should know all of these angles, from fridges to large glass windows and any potential shots that could go down a street a good distance.

Shared walls are something to think about, some use #8 shot for those close distances. While it will punch through walls, the energy can dissipate rather quickly through a few walls at distances beyond point blank.

IraqVeteran_8888 has an older video showing them using shot through drywall. You are responsible for every round that leaves your barrel.

IMHO, breaching rounds for shotgun HD. They are designed to empart 100% of energy on the first thing they hit. Bad guy ain't gonna wake up from one and a miss isn't gonna tag mittens in the neighbors living room. It's be hard on drywall but the majority of the energy will be on the fist thing it hits then it'll turn into powder.

IMHO, don't fiddle with your firearm at home. If you want to finger bang it go to a shooting pit where if you make a mistake is only you that gets hurt.

Dry practice is good but you must be diligent about it and separating ammo.

1) Get some professional firearms training classes. This not only helps educate you, but there are things that a professional can see that we can't here on the forums.
2) Learn the capabilities of your weapon and caliber load. Each performs differently and will have different results.
3) Get comfortable with your weapon. It's all about safety and effectiveness. Practice and practice some more. I recommend dry firing (go through your clearing procedures first and measure twice). Get comfortable with it to the point where you have muscle memory ingrained.
4) No matter what, make sure you know what's beyond your target. ALWAYS treat it loaded. Just like in most things if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.

Last Edited:
IMHO, breaching rounds for shotgun HD. They are designed to empart 100% of energy on the first thing they hit. Bad guy ain't gonna wake up from one and a miss isn't gonna tag mittens in the neighbors living room. It's be hard on drywall but the majority of the energy will be on the fist thing it hits then it'll turn into powder.

IMHO, don't fiddle with your firearm at home. If you want to finger bang it go to a shooting pit where if you make a mistake is only you that gets hurt.

Dry practice is good but you must be diligent about it and separating ammo.
Yes, playing with guns is asking for trouble. I am religious at emptying gun and setting mags and ammo aside. But I should just spend more time at the range instead.

1) Get some professional firearms training classes. This not only helps educate you, but there are things that a professional can see that we can't here on the forums.
2) Learn the capabilities of your weapon and caliber load. Each performs differently and will have different results.
3) Get comfortable with your weapon. It's all about safety and effectiveness. Practice and practice some more. I recommend dry firing (go through your clearing procedures first and measure twice). Get comfortable with it to the point where you have muscle memory ingrained.
4) No matter what, make sure you know what's beyond your target. ALWAYS treat it loaded. Just like in most things if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.
Yes, I think part of what I want to do is to be completely familiar with it by touch and sight. How well it fits appropriately whenever I pick it up. I plan to take safety, concealed and defensive classes when they're available. Popping the mag and racking the slide several times has become pretty automatic for me. Thanks

Last Edited:
Greetings,

So I have several handguns and a shotgun at home. I've never felt the need to have a gun in my home for sd, but since I now own them, it would be silly for me to not have access to them if/when needed. We have no kids and they're locked up. But, I've been in the habit of carrying my Walther Q4, in a Safepacker holster/bag when sitting at the table, tv or on the computer etc...Not around others. I want to get used to having "gun consciousness" and familiarity with the forearm. Perhaps prepare for concealed carry later. I do like to unload it, pull it out and do some dry firing and generally love the feel of the steel frame in my hands. Am I asking for trouble? Should I just leave it alone in the safe?
I also realize that in almost every direction from my house (cul de sac) and back yard, there are very few lines of sight that do not intersect with a neighbor ( I have a light/laser). Is it common practice for gun owners to actively determine when and where in your house you could fire your gun in sd without killing unintended target? I was shocked to hear of a friend who is a lifelong gun owner who kept a handgun in the BR with both of his kids rooms directly down the hall from the bedroom door. He said he finally figured that out and decided on a shotgun or something. What do people in condos and apartments do to mitigate tragedy?
Do people keep quick access safes or holster ready to go around house? Just looking for ideas and advice. Thanks in advance.
I just want to say "Thank You" for taking the time to ask questions and learn.

Not sure if either of these is a good match.
But meet your new training partner.

opplanet-blueguns-blue-training-guns-walther-pps-black-fsppsb.jpg blgun_ppqm2-4_1_600.jpg

I 3D print trainers. Even did a Nagant revolver for a revolver buddy. I have a nice 1:1 BHP for me.

I recommend Steve at Cerberus Training. I don't know what he does for introductory classes but he is a great teacher. No nonsense and he will say it like it is.

I am going to be a bit different here...( No big surprise for many long time members :D ).

Also my short answer here :
Its okay to handle your firearm in practice , as long as you do so safely.

Long answer below.

IF :
You unload your firearm....
You check each time you handle it , to see if it is loaded...
You keep your finger off the trigger...
You are aware of where your muzzle is pointing...
Then you will be safe when handling your firearm , in order to become totally familiar with it.

Yes I know , that I said if....And than simple two letter word can be fraught with danger.

In any event...
It is my experience that if one wants to become "really good" with their firearm , one needs to know it inside and out...as well as being totally comfortable with it.
Totally comfortable , means to me :
That the actions for safe handling and shooting of the firearm are second nature , and done without thought....they are just done automatically.
The only way to do this , is practice with the firearm , both in handling of the firearm and the shooting of the firearm.

"...to actively determine if when and where you could fire your gun without killing unintended target..."
Is a quote from the OP.
I would suggest that one of the best ways of doing this is to :
Clear and check your firearm to see if it loaded....
If it is loaded...unload the firearm , re-check the firearm...
Then proceed to walk around your house with the unloaded firearm and checking out angles of fire and such.
If done you will see with the actual firearm , just what an area looks like and what you have to do , in order to make a good , safe shot.

A unloaded ( or even loaded firearm ) , is no danger , if it is handled safely.
Ironically one of ways of learning how to handle a firearm safely , is to handle the firearm often , safely.
Again there is that dreaded word if.
Andy

I can't really add to anything that's already been said except to say congratulations on the Q4... it's an excellent piece.

I used a P99c for EDC and before that a .40 PPS (same older model as in the trainer photo above), a 9mm PPS M2, and occasionally a 4" PPQ. Walther still makes great guns (just avoid the Umarex trash) and the Q4 and Q5 are among the best.

Be safe.
Be diligent.
Have fun.

I am going to be a bit different here...( No big surprise for many long time members :D ).

Also my short answer here :
Its okay to handle your firearm in practice , as long as you do so safely.

Long answer below.

IF :
You unload your firearm....
You check each time you handle it , to see if it is loaded...
You keep your finger off the trigger...
You are aware of where your muzzle is pointing...
Then you will be safe when handling your firearm , in order to become totally familiar with it.

Yes I know , that I said if....And than simple two letter word can be fraught with danger.

In any event...
It is my experience that if one wants to become "really good" with their firearm , one needs to know it inside and out...as well as being totally comfortable with it.
Totally comfortable , means to me :
That the actions for safe handling and shooting of the firearm are second nature , and done without thought....they are just done automatically.
The only way to do this , is practice with the firearm , both in handling of the firearm and the shooting of the firearm.

"...to actively determine if when and where you could fire your gun without killing unintended target..."
Is a quote from the OP.
I would suggest that one of the best ways of doing this is to :
Clear and check your firearm to see if it loaded....
If it is loaded...unload the firearm , re-check the firearm...
Then proceed to walk around your house with the unloaded firearm and checking out angles of fire and such.
If done you will see with the actual firearm , just what an area looks like and what you have to do , in order to make a good , safe shot.

A unloaded ( or even loaded firearm ) , is no danger , if it is handled safely.
Ironically one of ways of learning how to handle a firearm safely , is to handle the firearm often , safely.
Again there is that dreaded word if.
Andy
Thank you. This all sounds like what I do already. I am learning the safety of redundancy with the unloading and racking of a firearm so that it becomes second nature. I demonstrate to my wife as well to assure her that whenever she sees me and my gun, it is unloaded. Plus, it feels good to rack a gun.

I can't really add to anything that's already been said except to say congratulations on the Q4... it's an excellent piece.

I used a P99c for EDC and before that a .40 PPS (same older model as in the trainer photo above), a 9mm PPS M2, and occasionally a 4" PPQ. Walther still makes great guns (just avoid the Umarex trash) and the Q4 and Q5 are among the best.

Be safe.
Be diligent.
Have fun.
Yeah, I went a little crazy with the "Covid gunrush" and ended up with three Walthers; PPQ Navy SD, PPS and the Q4 (and a glock 21 and a springfield xde.45, but don't tell anyone;))

1) Seek quality training from a competent source

2) Dry fire like crazy. Then dry fire some more. It helps.

3) Yes, you want to understand the layout of your house and what is beyond the walls. It cannot be overstated that hitting your intended target is the best way to help ensure you don't send a round into a neighbors living room. The best way to do this is by #1 above, and regular and consistent practice. Shooting is a depreciable skill. You have to practice it to maintain your proficiency. More is better.

4) A gun in a holster (when you're home...and assuming you don't have kids or visitors) is fine. You'll get different opinions on this...but I'm in the camp that guns should be in a quick access safe...or more...when you're not home. Thieves are very good at finding things...even things in your double super secret hiding spot that you're just sure nobody would ever think of looking. And I gotta believe it sucks to be shot with your own weapon because you walked in on a thief who found your hiding spot. If you don't think you will have the 2 seconds needed to get into a quick access safe, the gun should be holstered and on you.

Note: There's a website called, "The Box of Truth" and a link there to the "Original Chapters." The guy did a number of videos testing various calibers, buck shot, bird shot, etc., to see how each round penetrated walls. It's worth the time to watch a few of those videos (particularly for the calibers you own) to get an understanding of what each round is capable of.

Welcome to the forum!

Be safe! :)

Do you, just do it safe. If you want to dry fire in your house, do it. Practice shooting from behind your door frame down the hallway where to intruder might be. Practice, your draw. Practice trigger control. Practice muzzle discipline. Just be absolutely positively sure that there is no ammo. Practice weapon manipulations. Do it while watching a movie until manipulating your safety becomes natural. Don't just dry fire at the range. You will only get as much practice as you re limited to range time. Small pieces of blue painters tape make great dry fire targets. Watch the Trex arms dry fire video. Lots of good info.

What_could_go_wrong.jpg

But you're an adult so.....
YOU decide. What's best in/for your home.
Know_Your_Limitations.png

That being said.....
I doubt that there is one universally correct answer.

Aloha, Mark

PS...YES, I'm somewhat suspicious. You being so new and all.

Last Edited:
I wonder if OP worries this much about driving cars which are responsible for 10's of thousands of deaths in the US annually.

A truly unloaded gun never shot anyone. If you are very diligent about unloading your gun, using it for dry practice is safe and effective. That's the deadly detail though, actually making sure it is unloaded every time. There is no room for mistakes here.

Regarding how to keep your gun in the house. If there are no people living in the house who could be irresponsible with it, keep it wherever you want. I prefer to leave loaded pistols in holsters and loaded rifles with their safety on and out of the walking path.

I wonder if OP worries this much about driving cars which are responsible for 10's of thousands of deaths in the US annually.

A truly unloaded gun never shot anyone. If you are very diligent about unloading your gun, using it for dry practice is safe and effective. That's the deadly detail though, actually making sure it is unloaded every time. There is no room for mistakes here.

Regarding how to keep your gun in the house. If there are no people living in the house who could be irresponsible with it, keep it wherever you want. I prefer to leave loaded pistols in holsters and loaded rifles with their safety on and out of the walking path.
Thanks for the response. Fortunately I don't spend much time worrying about much. I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and potentialities of circumstance and environment. As a driver, pedestrian and cyclist, I like to know what I am dealing with when on the road. I certainly can't control others, but I rest easy knowing that I've done by due diligence.

Dry firing can help you get familiar with a gun. But be sure the ammo is in a different room, so you don't wind up accidentally shooting a hole in your wall.

You might want to look into frangible ammo for your handgun. The shotgun is a good HD weapon where there are other houses nearby.

Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads