JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's up everyone? New to the site and new to guns. My wife and I just started getting into shooting recently. We took a beginner handgun class, and really enjoyed it.

After the class, I purchased my first gun, a CZ p10F, I guess that makes me a hipster or something. At least that's what I've read online. No big deal, I may be a hipster. I fly fish, wear flannel, wear trucker hats, and listen to a bunch of indie bands… Well bubblegum, I guess I am a hipster.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to learning a ton, and finding other people near me who can help me get better. I'm located in PDX, but spend a ton of time up in Winlock, WA.
Congratulations for being hip enough to take some personal responsibility in your own personal protection and for those in your home.
thefirst step in this
What's up everyone? New to the site and new to guns. My wife and I just started getting into shooting recently. We took a beginner handgun class, and really enjoyed it.

After the class, I purchased my first gun, a CZ p10F, I guess that makes me a hipster or something. At least that's what I've read online. No big deal, I may be a hipster. I fly fish, wear flannel, wear trucker hats, and listen to a bunch of indie bands… Well bubblegum, I guess I am a hipster.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to learning a ton, and finding other people near me who can help me get better. I'm located in PDX, but spend a ton of time up in Winlock, WA.
Congratulations on taking a big step toward exercising your Second Amendment right..
One of the first steps is acquiring professional grade tools for the job and it looks like you've made a move in that direction.
I'm pleased to see you're seeking the advice and teachings of those with more experience.
Before moving on, I'd conduct a personal inventory, to decide if your eventual goal is self defense. If so, the most important step is in making a conscious decision if you are willing and able to take the life of another. This may seem like a comical question or statement, but some never consciously make this decision and balk when the time is at hand. Many others do not balk but have a lifetime of anxiety and PTSD after being legally and morally justified in taking another's life.
Just something to ponder along this new journey. Even if your goal is personal growth and improving your marksmanship skills,
Welcome to the club and congratulations on your new purchase.

Keep_Portland_Weird.jpg

Do you have that "look"?
Hipster-look2.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Not quite that hip. I do have a few tattoos, just not full sleeves. And since it's summer time, I'm sporting the a mustache as opposed to my winter beard. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hipster.
You aren't really hip until you can pull off yelling "Get off my lawn!" with style like us geezers. Takes years of practice.

Welcome hipster.. youre not alone around here, but the other plaid flannel wearing beard sporting tatted out dudes dont realize theyre hipsters.. its kinda funny

Welcome hipster.. youre not alone around here, but the other plaid flannel wearing beard sporting tatted out dudes dont realize theyre hipsters.. its kinda funny
I'm self-aware. The first step in getting through being a hipster, is accepting that you are a hipster. I naturally do hipster things, not because I want to, but because that's who I am. It's how I was born. Accepting that takes a lot of weight off ones shoulders.

Welcome and glad to have you aboard! That CZ is a great choice!

As a hipster you should get along great as there are many boomers here. We are old enough that all our crap like record players, hats, and Ray Ban sunglasses have become the cool again. Just don't let anybody talk you into hiking your pants up to your chest or wearing socks with sandals and you will be OK.
Socks with sandals is blasphemous.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Hello and Welcome

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Very cool, thanks for the info. I've done a few river cleanups, and any time I'm out fishing, I load up on other peoples garbage. It's a bummer that some people are too lazy to pack out their rubbish.

What's a "hipster"???
It's a very useful word for married guys.

When your wife asks you "does this make me look fat" or "does this make my butt look big?" you can say "Wow, honey! Great outfit, you're a hipster!"

Thus you can answer truthfully and she feels like she was complimented. Just keep a straight face when one of the other husbands overhears her brag about the compliment and busts out laughing. Failure will result in a multi day stay at Hotel Sofa.

Typically an inner city dweller who follows trends in clothing, hair styles etc. that are outside what is considered normal or traditional.
The clothing and hair styles this hipster sports, is reasonable. All in all, I don't think I'm actually a hipster, but the bit was fun.

Ok, so here's a question for the people in Oregon… I went to fill out my background check info last Wednesday, when the FFL holder called to tell me my gun had arrived. After he input the info in the computer, he said that I got put in line and will probably be about 10 days. How normal is this when purchasing firearms? The last time I was with someone who purchased a shotgun, the background check took about 15minutes.

The clothing and hair styles this hipster sports, is reasonable. All in all, I don't think I'm actually a hipster, but the bit was fun.

Ok, so here's a question for the people in Oregon… I went to fill out my background check info last Wednesday, when the FFL holder called to tell me my gun had arrived. After he input the info in the computer, he said that I got put in line and will probably be about 10 days. How normal is this when purchasing firearms? The last time I was with someone who purchased a shotgun, the background check took about 15minutes.
Normal, for the abnormal times we in. During normal time, 10 days or even 10 minutes would be abnormal. But this aint normal times

What's a "hipster"???
Usually Subaru wagon driving millennials who wear puffy REI vests and Patagonia trucker snap back hats, Birkenstocks or Crocs, and they spend alot of time in coffee klatches or mead bars. They heavily populate Portland, Eugene, and Bend. The men tend to be very metro sexual and spend way to much time messing around with hair and beard products like oils and waxes. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top