JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a new (at least i thought so) G30 from my local gun shop. gun looks good nothing abnormal until i take the paperwork which the envelope was already ripped open and see something written in the top left corner of the info packet that says, "purchased on 11/6/2006 from Fishermans in Oregon City".

hmmm- so am I the new gun owner or not? anyone know if I can track the previous owner by serial number or not. I'd love to know this.

its really not a big deal, but if I buy a new gun I would like to buy a new gun.

Did the tag say "New" or "as new" difference being that as new is either unfired or VERY little firing and comes with everything it came with new.
I am not sure if it can be tracked or not, possibly an FFL can help there.

anyone know if I can track the previous owner by serial number or not
I sure hope not.
I bought a glock 23 that was "used" but appeared to have never been fired (paid $475). I'd be a little upset if it was advertised as new, I paid the price of a new one, and had been previously owned.
Is the serial number on the packet? Maybe they lost the orig (or gave it to someone) and replaced it with that one, who knows. You may be able to find the orig. manufacture date here: <broken link removed>

the tag said 549.00

the gun was in the case with the other "new" guns. I thought the guns were new - not sure anyone else would have thought otherwise.

its possible this gun was new but the paper work is from another G30....I doubt it, but possible.

$549 before tax is what i've seen them go for new from the factory ( which is still a little high in my opinion). Even if it was never fired and previously owned I would expect a price reduction simply because it was handled. Any signs of it being fired?
I just purchased a G30 myself, can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

$549 before tax is what i've seen them go for new from the factory ( which is still a little high in my opinion). Even if it was never fired and previously owned I would expect a price reduction simply because it was handled. Any signs of it being fired?
I just purchased a G30 myself, can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

no handling marks. if it is used it was a safe queen or reworked to look like new.

549 seemed ok considering on gun broker they were going for 519 plus associated transfer costs.

:s0155:This sort of issue confuses me. If your buying a firearm to put in a safe as an investment I can see being worried about if a weapon has been fired. If you plan to shoot the thing and your happy with the price you payed what does it matter? Be happy with your purchase and Go shooting

:s0155:This sort of issue confuses me. If your buying a firearm to put in a safe as an investment I can see being worried about if a weapon has been fired. If you plan to shoot the thing and your happy with the price you payed what does it matter? Be happy with your purchase and Go shooting

really? Think about that... I paid a new price for a used gun. would you be ok buying a used car for a new car price?

yes appearance is ok, but it boils down to the principle.

are you still confused? If so, do this. imagine paying 5 dollars for a new hammer. you get home and find out your 5 dollar hammer was bought four years ago and probably hammered stuff. Now, the hammer looks good, but you paid 5 bucks for a 4 dollar hammer - its used.

is it becoming clearer? If the hammer was displayed as used and you paid 5bucks end of story, but hte hammer was new.

if that doesn't make sense PM me and I will provide more examples. Always here to provide clarity for those that need it.

Did the tag on the gun say new? Did the dealer tell you the gun was new? Did you ask the dealer if it was a new gun? If no, you assumed it was new.

If you have a good relationship with the dealer, you could bring it back in and explain your point of view.

Cheers.

As has been said, the paperwork (manual, warranty card, etc.) could be from a different Glock pistol. The envelope with the spent shell casing should match the pistol's serial number. The pistol case itself should also match the pistol's serial number. It is conceivable that they stuck your Glock 30 in the wrong Glock case and that's why it may have the wrong paperwork. I've seen that happen a few times.

If you go to Glocktalk there is a thread that tracks the serial numbers and production dates. You can narrow down the month and year it was made.

<broken link removed>

To be fair, it is possible for a gun to sit brand new (and unsold) for years in a distributor's warehouse or on a shelf in a retail store. Still, if the pistol was made in 2005 or 2006 and you have this other stuff saying it was sold retail, it could be a previously owned firearm.

netsecsys made some good points. Assuming it was new is different than the store representing it was new. If it was their mistake, they may choose to exchange the firearm or give you a store credit (to be used for ammo or accessories). If you simply assumed, it may be one of those experiences where you paid a little to get an education.

Also, just out of curiosity, if the gun turns out to be used, were there any extras that might help explain/justify the price, i.e. a trigger job, night sights, extra mags, holster, etc.?

I'd be mad if they represented it as "new", if you assumed it was new based on location in the case only, that's on you. I have seen new guns marked "used" and used guns marked "new" at a local shop, so I know accidents happen. If it really bugs you you could approach them like it was mistakenly represented as "new" but clearly is "used". They might laugh at you and say something like "as soon as you use it it will be used anyway", in which case you can tell them they just lost a customer. I would expect them to offer some extra mags or some ammo at most.

How were the other guns priced? Meaning were the new Glocks (most Glocks fit into price groups) priced higher? That store might just have really high prices.

Update -

This IS a used gun. I looked at my receipt and it says used/unfired on it. I had no idea until I read that.

well - its a lesson learned (I assumed it was a new gun) I paid new full retail for it, so I had no idea to think otherwise.

not the end of the world by any means, but I do feel a bit uncomfortable about the purchase and will never go back there since I do feel misled. Had they said it was previously owned, I would NOT have bought the gun for that price.

it seems like my new gun purchases are always the worst gun buying experiences. Those guns I have bought on this board and from friends are the best. I hope at least one of you who reads this, who may not have known to ask, asks next time you buy a gun.

onward and upward :)

It just so happens that there is a section on the 4473 that must be checked - NEW or USED. It's just like the new car dealership; once you drive your new vehicle off the lot it instantly depreciates 5-10%. A firearm is the same way. Fired or not, it is not worth the same as one that has not left the retail establishment. By law, a firearm that has been previously sold as new must be sold as used, even if unfired. The feds take the 4473 very seriously; a dealer selling a used gun as new is taking a big risk.

I doubt your dealer will show you the 4473 on file for your transaction, but it is good to know going forward.

really? Think about that... I paid a new price for a used gun. would you be ok buying a used car for a new car price?

yes appearance is ok, but it boils down to the principle.

are you still confused? If so, do this. imagine paying 5 dollars for a new hammer. you get home and find out your 5 dollar hammer was bought four years ago and probably hammered stuff. Now, the hammer looks good, but you paid 5 bucks for a 4 dollar hammer - its used.

is it becoming clearer? If the hammer was displayed as used and you paid 5bucks end of story, but hte hammer was new.

if that doesn't make sense PM me and I will provide more examples. Always here to provide clarity for those that need it.

MY point is that if the purchaser and seller agree on the price off the firearms..certainly the buyer lookedat the gun. if a price is agrred and a transaction made....Who cares...I guess I am thinking let the buyer beware.... I mean if you feel the dealer was trulytrying to screw yo over, a buyer should go back and speak to them.

MY point is that if the purchaser and seller agree on the price off the firearms..certainly the buyer lookedat the gun. if a price is agrred and a transaction made....Who cares...I guess I am thinking let the buyer beware.... I mean if you feel the dealer was trulytrying to screw yo over, a buyer should go back and speak to them.

I was all good until I found out it was used. Again you can't tell the gun was used and I certainly would have no clue how to tell other than obvious wear marks.

Anyway - this thread is dead although I hope at least one person learns the lesson I did by reading this.

case closed.:)

I was all good until I found out it was used. Again you can't tell the gun was used and I certainly would have no clue how to tell other than obvious wear marks.

Anyway - this thread is dead although I hope at least one person learns the lesson I did by reading this.

case closed.:)

It is also an Unlawful trade Practice to sell a used item as new. If there are any disputes you can file a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top