Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Green Ammo- Expires

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Navvet, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Navvet

Navvet Lynden, WA Active Member

I am probably late on this, but has anyone seen the new GREEN ammo. 45 ACP loaded with small pistol primers, crimped and non reloadable. The primer has less lead compound so the shelf life is about 8 months. Dont buy it. They will make more.

2. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

The "conspiracy theorist" in me says legislation for a mandatory switch to ammo with environmentally friendly primers is starting to work its way around DC.

3. nforest

nforest Eugene, OR & Costa Rica Active Member

link?

4. Navvet

Navvet Lynden, WA Active Member

No link, it is in my favorite gun shop for sale. All the reloaders are talking about it. It says everything on the box. One box of 45 ACP- $38.00. Try google.

5. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

No... YOU try google and back it up. You started it. Substantiate your thread with substance. Talk is cheap and internet blather is cheaper.

6. SPU

SPU Southwest Oregon Old Fart

7. DK47

DK47 Beaverton, OR Member

I heard about this about 2 years ago, I thought it started a little ammo craze around here...
    I started stocking up and a buddy of mine picked up a dillon reloader.

8. nforest

nforest Eugene, OR & Costa Rica Active Member

I want to see evidence of the primer material having a short life. I fully I have no problem with non reloadable ammo, if that's what this is. Just look at steel cased .45, like Herters.
    However, a shelf life on ammo does not make sense.

How is a box of .45 going to sell at $38?
    If this really is true and is on the box, the problem will sort itself out quickly because no one will buy it.

If there is such a problem with lead in the Condor areas, then why not hunt Condors with steel core Russian surplus?:bluelaugh:

Navvet Can you take a picture of the box(if all the info is there)

9. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

Doesn't the FN 5.7x28 ammo have a short shelf life (3 or 4 years IIRC) because of their lead free primers as well?

10. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I can't find any real proof of this, just lots of rumor talk on other forums via Google. Still I do believe the lead will absorb moisture less easily so there could be some truth in a "somewhat" shorter shelf life. Months, I don't believe.

Here is another great reason to reload. Current primers aren't "green." Bullets have lead. You can get good brass cases in matched head stamps on Gunbroker for a reasonable price and reload them several times, bringing the per-shot cost down. I truly believe I have a lifetime supply of ammo and components, and I've reduced the number of calibers I own for that purpose. Any time I bought a new caliber, I'd have to buy at least 1,000 cases, 3,000 bullets, powder and primers for 3,000 rounds. For my battle rifles or pistols, 10,000 rounds. I'm still buying because as I shoot it, I replace it.

11. SPU

The ARMORY is out of stock but here is a link to S&B ammunition with lead free bullet and lead and mercury free primers. Half way down the page.:
    The Armory: 9mm Ammo ammunition, Remington, Winchester, Corbon, S&B, PMC, Aguila, Wolf,

From a LuckyGunner.com article about Fiocchi: "Reloading Guide for Non-Toxic Ammunition - Fiocchi is currently developing a thorough at-home reloading guide for non-toxic ammunition because working with non-toxic primers requires unconventional combinations of components and assembly processes. Look for this to be released to the US market in the next 6-12 months." here: Fiocchi Ammo Reviews

Or there is Winchester.com itself decribing their totally lead free NT ammuntion: http://winchesterle.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/super-x/super-clean-nt/Pages/default.aspx

12. Gunner3456

I can find the ammo, but no credible statement as to shelf life.

13. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Sure it does - but only for the manufacturer who knows it forces you to shoot it up before it 'expires' and have to buy more or you forget to shoot it before it expires and you have to buy more. I would say the popularity and sales of this ammo will roughly equal that of the Chevy Volt.

14. Gunner3456

Well, I can see the feds or at least some states mandating it because it is "green." They sure did that to a point with lead shot, mandating steel. Then all but those who are really stocked up will have to buy it.

I see more reloading components on my shopping list. It's always a good investment anyway.

15. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I find it interesting a company would concentrate on a product they know will not sell well - unless they are 'banking' on some sort of legal mandate. Otherwise it will only find favor with the minority. I just don't see the terms 'green' and 'non-toxic' being embraced by the majority of the shooting population.

16. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Some government agencies are requiring "green" ammo be used by their agency - in recent years being PC and Green is more important than saving tax payers money and insuring the safety of their officers... " My condolences Ms. Smith. The agency didn't know that the ammunition had a short shelf life and we are sorry for the loss of your husband due to the failure of his weapon to fire, However we are proud to say that the ammunition won't damage the kangaroo rat habitat."

17. Gunner3456

Maybe one of the three Chevy Volt owners has a gun. :)

18. SPU

I spent some time searching and aside from speculation I couldn't find anything definitive either. I have my own thoughts on this but why add more speculation? Until somebody shows me a manufacturer statement, an expiration date on a box of ammo or primers, or a legitimate source, I'm going to do as I always have.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I had some green ammo once

Tumbled it for a while in walnut media and it came out OK

gnarl and (deleted member) like this.
  20. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

tinfoilhat.jpg

It's the nanobots.... they invaded your ammos and killed your shelf life by infecting da half lifes