JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New Goose Hunter seeking advice. I passed my test last season but was never able to find appropriate ammunition at that time.

It looks like ammo is steadily becoming more available now. One question I have: are 12 GA Kent # 2's appropriate? Another thing I don't understand is why Bismuth #2's are $65 a box, but Kents are only $21.

That's a head-scratcher for me.

Appreciate any education.

Depends on what kinda geese you are hunting for shot size. I don't shoot #2 for geese myself. Kent's is just steel shot bismuth is made with bismuth more expensive material close to good old lead!

For smaller geese #2s would work. Larger geese I would look for BB size.

Bismuth and tungsten shot will be more expensive, as the materials cost more than steel. Better penetration and better performance at a distance is what is gained.

I kill a whole pile of geese every year. I like my 10ga with BBB or T. If i use a 12ga I use BBB or BB. I am not a fan of steel #2 even for ducks. All that super shot is great if you are rich. m I hunt 3 days a week so anything other then steel is just not an option. I find that big steel works just as good as lead and by big I mean BBB and T's. The only size I go smaller then BBB is when I am shooting teal.

I have had good results with #2 for cacklers, Kent and Hevi-Shot offer plenty of 3.5" options. And I like bismuth because it patterns well. Look online for buying options. Check out Mack's Prairie Wings. They have ammo sales every now and then.

I have had good results with #2 for cacklers, Kent and Hevi-Shot offer plenty of 3.5" options. And I like bismuth because it patterns well. Look online for buying options. Check out Mack's Prairie Wings. They have ammo sales every now and then.
Thanks! Appreciate the info!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads