JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Though it would be good to do little editting and grammar checking before posting. Does make some good points along the way.

English as a second language.

"...Some of the procedures may not looked nice for a kid, but it was kind of learning how things work in nature and life. There is fish there, and you can catch it, kill it and eat it.

And that's it.

Nothing too deep in it..."

Kinda well put I think.

Very well put.

Unfortunately most younger people will make up the roaming hordes of unprepared scavengers should anything catastrophic happen.

Not that many older folks will be much better off.....

Ive always taught my kids independence and whatever survival skills were reasonable for their ages... making it fun and nothing out of the ordinary. Theyve come along pretty well.

Back when the New Yorker article about the Cascadia earthquake came out and was all over, my some came home and was all excited about it... and asked me if I knew about it and if we would be okay.
I smiled inside and brought him into 'the plan'. For a 4th grader, hes pretty capable for a kid growing up in an urban setting. This kid can build things and work without power tools... make a fire without matches or paper, chop wood, baton kindling, cook... and a fair shot with a rifle. Most importantly he knows to shut his trap about what we may or may not have on hand.

My daughter could care less... however, she can also make a fire, cook & shoot... She has more 'domestic' skills which would be beneficial though.

Sadly, my kids are a rarity, pretty much 99% of their peers arent even half as skilled and spend more time stuck to a screen being numbed by passive entertainment. Not to mention their parents arent likely ready for anything beyond an 8hr power outage.

AR vs AK, Ford vs Chevy, Batoning vs no batoning...

We all know what opinions are like and what everyone thinks of everyone elses' opinions.

However, in many situations carrying extraneous gear is not ideal.
When you can have one tool that will prepare wood for the fire, shave tinder, cut cordage, open cans/bags ... be used defensively (or offensively)... why not take that route?

Sure, in ideal conditions and evenly sawn cord wood is handy... why not bust out the axe? No one will argue that.
In a survival situation, a long hike or a backpacking trip... a heavy, bulky single-purpose item is a waste of energy. When one knife can serve in different roles just as well, its an easy choice.

In all my years of batoning... I have yet to ruin a knife. (We baton kindling for the fireplace as well as at camp)
My go to has been the KaBar full size, partially serrated. It does everything I need it to, keeps a working edge and I have batoned more pieces of wood than I can count and aside from the finish wearing away I see no ill effects. It still shaves tinder effortlessly and can cut 550 cord... the only thing I dont do with it is pry.

While I understand some dislike batoning... its a valuable skill... a survival skill if nothing else... In a strictly survival sense, can you imagine a scenario where packing a good knife is more practical than a knife AND an axe?

Again, I stress the importance of a good, practical knife... If you play with cheap stuff or high priced designer knives, batoning may not be for you... but with the right blade you cant go wrong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top