JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any interest in this? Seems we all talk politics, loads, equipment, etc., but I can't pin down Q&A's for marksmanship. At the moment I'm having a terrible time with horizontal stringing on my hvy bbl .308 Remington. Would be nice to ask some of the target guys or tactical guys.

After all, it's about hitting the target-

Remington 5R milspec .308, stock
leather sandbag on mechanical rest in front, leather sandbag in rear
Mark X pro trigger adjusted to 2.5#
Falcon Menace 4-14ffp scope on Burris XTR low rings, EGW 1 piece 20moa mount

Ladder test Varget, 42.9gr always seems to give less than .75" vertical dispersion at 300yds.
Lapua brass, Fed. 210M primers, 175SMKs. Jump .11 (yeah, long throated remmy, Bergers won't shoot at all)
2.810OAL, Redding neck sized .336 bushing, not checking for runout

Winds calm, parallax corrected. All from bench.

Tried 'wrap around' hold, hard hold pulling back into shoulder.

After 200 rds I sometimes get the sweet groups, but mostly I get a horizontal stringing 2-3.5". The best groups when I'm right on measure less than 1.5" outside to outside, I'm happy with .5MOA on a factory rifle at 300yds, just can't figure out what to do to be consistent.

And of course I get the frequent clover-leaf group only to blow it with a couple of wide horizontal dispersed shots-

Dry firing practice with attention to cheek pressure currently in the works.

The trigger isn't the greatest but at least I got it lightened up.

Had someone teach me the finer points of checking parallax (moving my head around to check crosshair movement).

I'm up for suggestions. It isn't bad for a factory rifle at all, I just can't seem to shoot it consistent. Unfortunately it's me, not the rifle!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top