Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

New FFL. Pistol background checks, who to call?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by David Lewis, Dec 20, 2015.

1. David Lewis

David Lewis Auburn, Wa New Member

Hello all. I am a new FFL in Auburn Wa. I am about to make my first pistol sale. I know that I need to do a background check through the local PD, but for the life of me I cant find a phone number to call on any of the local PDs web sites. The city in question uses Pierce County Sheriff for their police so Im assuming that I would call someone at the county level. Any FFLs have any advice for me?

Thanks!

Dave

2. bolus

bolus Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

3. David Lewis

Thank you for finding that, but unfortunately it dosen't contain a specific number to call for an individual PD.

4. David Lewis

Though it may have clarified it for me. I believe what it is saying is that if you do not have a CPL you would fill out the state pistol transfer form in triplicate, send it to the local PD, they would do the BG check and in 10 days return with a proceed or deny. If they do have a CPL, still fill out the state pistol transfer from in triplicate, run the NICS check myself. If the NICS check comes back as a proceed, transfer the pistol and then send the form into the local PD. I was thinking that there would be a number to call. That process is terrible, but im sure that it s a feature, not a bug.

Can anyone confirm that what i have stated is the process?

Thanks.

5. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

May want to check on the general forum, handgun discussion doesn't get a lot of traffic. I have a CPL and a call is made when I buy the firearm and I go home with it that same day. Don't know what number they call though.

6. conp435

conp435 woodinville Active Member

fax the white copy to the sheriff without the cpl you do it with cpl

TOVO likes this.
  7. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

I would recommend that you call the local ATF Seattle office for the rules in WA state. They are quite helpful. I would be worried about incorrect information given to you. It's all about your federal and state forms.

TCOV and spookshack like this.
  8. 911radiogrunt

911radiogrunt Tacoma New Member

Auburn PD 253.931.3080, King County SO 206.296.4155