JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't making fun of you

A matter of perspective. It "feels" like you were making fun of me, and others, let's be honest here. It was IMO a snarky way to make a point, thru innuendo w/o making the point clear. I don't care for sarcasm in any honest discussion.

I didn't live in the 50's but from what I can tell the level of conformity would have made my skin crawl

So you really don't know what it was like, but feel qualified to say what it was like. What is your source for your understanding of the 50s? TV? Yeah, life wasn't all Ozzie and Harriet and Father Knows Best but I lived in the middle class suburbs, so it was close for me.

I don't personally know anybody who'd willingly go back unless they could take an age reduction too.

A common thought.

I also wouldn't have wanted to live in 1950's America if I was anything other than white, Christian and middle class.

You don't know anything real about 1950s America. And that is a greatly overused trope. Life in America wasn't the same everywhere, but it had more to do with poverty and location than with color of skin, religion, and class structure. POC in my town lived the same quality of life as others if they had the same paying jobs. And I worked with many. "Middle class"... means whatever the median bunch were living. But in rural USA there was plenty of poor, same as there was in the big cities. Yet, they had a good life, unlike the poor that lived in the big cities. Your trope disregards that there were plenty of white, non-christian, low income people living throughout the USA, but writers, journalists, and others seem to be city centric. It's not just about them... they needed to get out and visit the real America.

Thanks for the spelling lesson.

No need for that. I didn't correct your spelling, did I??? I admitted to a sinful urge. Your spelling lesson was when your browser highlighted the word in red, but you ignored it...

Last Edited:
I am biting my tongue SO HARD right now..... It seems that roughly 90% of the newer members are trying desperatley to convince the 2nd amend community that the MSM is "not really bias at all, and don't have an agenda":confused:, "liberals aren't coming for your guns" (yeah, ok. The holocaust didn't happen either right?:confused:)
Conservatives "want to take away freedoms too" What the deuce? Are you retarded?
This is like living in the land of make believe, do these vermin think that they actually stand a chance of convincing anybody with this insanity??? Sigh, guess I'll shuffle off to my armory and tell my guns that they are safe cause the AP and PMSNBC told me not to worry.
Oh and continue to add to the blocked list!:mad:

If folks are being told by others "what you have to say to us or what you do to us is offensive so we aren't going to listen to you or support you with our dollars", that's not new in America. Those folks are free to continue to have and promote those views--government isn't going to stop it--but there might be consequences. People have been voting with their feet and dollars for years now.

Except that's not what cancel culture is. That's not what folks object to.

Cancel culture is not "voting with your dollars;" cancel culture is quite literally preventing someone from working in their chosen profession because of their views. Not their actions, their views.

It is what the black list was in the 1950s.

If you support the actions of the past few years vis-a-vis cancel culture, then you must also support, in hindsight, the black lists (refusing to let people work who would not renounce communist views) of the 1950s.

If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

"Cancel culture" is in my opinion just conservatives being the snowflakes they complained of a few years ago. If folks are being told by others "what you have to say to us or what you do to us is offensive so we aren't going to listen to you or support you with our dollars", that's not new in America. Those folks are free to continue to have and promote those views--government isn't going to stop it--but there might be consequences. People have been voting with their feet and dollars for years now.

I moved your standalone to comment on it separately. I disagree with the opinion you've laid out (I want to recognize you stated it as an opinion, not fact), and here's what goes into my disagreement (my observations):
What you're describing are boycotts. Boycotts are loosely tied to the "cancel culture" movement, and yes "voting with your feet" has always been a thing, but that's not what the conservatives are howling about. What they're pointing at - and if you really look honestly at it, you'll see the positions have merit - is that there's an active movement to suppress the speech of conservatives. Documented restrictions or bannings on right-leaning accounts with similar sentiment from left-leaning, which accounts are left untouched. (Current example: Farrahkan posted vaccine conspiracies on social media and they've still not been tagged as "suspect/fake" news although a stated opinion about voting irregularities by prominent conservatives saw their comments removed or tagged as unsubstantiated.)

The output is that people who speak in a way that is unpopular become "unpersons" in the arenas designed to allow all people to lift up their voices.

I believe it's disingenuous to operate under the belief that mainstream media and the social media tech giants aren't imposing their belief system's full weight through their thumb on the scale. Abd that belief system is pro-left/anti-right.

Edit: What @Soli said too.

Fascism comes from government.
Sort of. It normally comes from a movement of people who ensconce leadership that supports total authoritarian control. But even that term has been weaponized in the past 10-20 years and swung like a cudgel against people and politicians to shame and justify abusive-to-violent behavior. Because everyone hates a fascist, right? They should probably be punched, like Nazis. That's every bit as dangerous as how the media accepts Democratic narratives that the siege of the Capitol was "white supremacists" and have supported the narratives that there's a vast right-wing white nationalist movement.

Because you know what most of us hate more than Nazis, since 99.9999995% of real Nazis are already dead? White supremacists. And if someone is a W.S., then they have no value in speaking and should be hunted out of existence.

Except now conservatives are being (semi-successfully) by politicians, the media, and tech social media as racists, thus making anything they say ignorable or full of lies.

That's the nature of cancel culture.

We could go on about the brilliant malevolence of the Democratic party, having gaslighted an entire ethnicity of people so successfully for so long that the people they wanted to enslave in the 19th century are now fighting on behalf of their party, but that's a much different topic for a much different thread.

As an independent and often third party voter, I have to grudgingly admire how ruthlessly evil the Dems continue to expose themselves as, though. I don't think I'd have the patience to play the long game they have to try and force people into governmental dependence. /tipofcap

Ok. You guys win. I thought I could pull one over on you and drive you to seeing multiple sides of various arguments from different perspectives. I'll leave you all to agree with each other. I'll go back to trolling the classified for an affordable AR.

However--whether you care or not--I want to make it clear that none of what I've said here is said with anger or antipathy for any of the folks I`ve commented about or who've responded to my comments, even if critical of my views. Really. I'm here for a hobby/activity not to get angry at others who like that hobby. I hope you all have an excellent week.

Ok. You guys win. I thought I could pull one over on you and drive you to seeing multiple sides of various arguments from different perspectives. I'll leave you all to agree with each other. I'll go back to trolling the classified for an affordable AR.

However--whether you care or not--I want to make it clear that none of what I've said here is said with anger or antipathy for any of the folks I`ve commented about or who've responded to my comments, even if critical of my views. Really. I'm here for a hobby/activity not to get angry at others who like that hobby. I hope you all have an excellent week.

Dang, you almost had me convinced;)

but seriously, this is what I absolutely loathe about the "climate" of our country. I honestly think you and I could go grab a burger and beer together and have a heck of a good time and enjoy each other's company but nowadays the hot button items seem to be unavoidably inserted into every conversation.

a good friend of ours who has absolutely opposite views on stuff was over yesterday to pick something up and we seriously had a good time catching up and laughing, hugged good bye (sorry Kate) and all was good . But if you looked at her social media it's like a completely different person comes out. It's why I don't have of that because it's easy to be nasty and sound horrible. And believe me, I have had it and I'm absolutely complicit in acting that way too. I find myself naturally wanting to do the same on forums like this and I don't know why other than it's in my nature. Point is, we may disagree on gun issues, politics, blah blah blah, but I bet we'd agree that social media hasn't done much of anything good in society. I'd prefer all of that to go away.
Also, If I was being nasty or it came across that way, I'm sorry. Definitely not my intent.

I'll go back to trolling the classified for an affordable AR.
I think you mean browsing, not trolling. Trolling and browsing are 2 different things.

trolling noun (INSULTING)
the act of leaving an insulting message on the internet in order to annoy someone:

browse
(brouz)
v. browsed, brows·ing, brows·es
v.intr.
a.
To inspect something leisurely and casually: browsed through the map collection for items of interest.
b. To read something superficially by selecting passages at random: browsed through the report duringlunch.
2. To look for information on the internet.

:s0097:

I think you mean browsing, not trolling. Trolling and browsing are 2 different things.

trolling noun (INSULTING)
the act of leaving an insulting message on the internet in order to annoy someone:

browse
(brouz)
v. browsed, brows·ing, brows·es
v.intr.
a.
To inspect something leisurely and casually: browsed through the map collection for items of interest.
b. To read something superficially by selecting passages at random: browsed through the report duringlunch.
2. To look for information on the internet.

:s0097:

I'm using a fishing analogy. If I do it long enough eventually I'll catch something.

The thread title is about the current fed anti gun push. This is the SOS that has been going on for years.
Let's take a realistic look at gun violence. The past actual mass shooting where some mentally ill sick person shot up a shopping mall or school numbers are miniscule in comparison to the casualties from nightly gang shootings going on in many major cities. The gang bangers are getting their guns on the street, not from a gun store so the background checks/registration issue is moot. They don't care what gun laws are passed as laws only make a difference when people abide by those laws. Murder is against the law and they don't care about that either.
The liberal left called for defunding/disbanding the police. Using Portland as an example, it resulted in fewer police on the streets, specifically the anti gun violence task force was exterminated. The LEO's are also 'gun shy' to confront criminals on the street because if they use any degree of force, even in defending themselves, they will be hung out to dry for it. The gang bangers took advantage this and shootings skyrocketed. Does BLM not recognize that they got what they asked for and as a result young blacks are the one being shot in record numbers. The KKK is cheering on Portland politicians for reducing the black population. I know this sounds sick and it is, but it is also true.
People need to come down out of their fantasy fairytale cloud and realize that the gang bangers won't respond to their singing kumbaya nor will they abide by any new 'save the children' gun law. The police, prosecutors and the courts need to rain 'tough love' on those responsible for the shootings. However, to expect this to happen in the current political environment would put me on a fantasy fairytale cloud as well. It is sad that so many kids are being shot and dying and no one is taking 'meaningful' action to stop it. :(

Last Edited:
yeah, I live near Portland. It has become a dangerous city because politicians refuse to hold criminals accountable. The new DA Rick Schmidt (spelling?) is a self proclaimed SJW and won't charge anyone for anything unless of course you don't align with his ideology. It's bad enough when the federal government wants to blame guns as the issue, But when local jurisdictions directly endanger their citizens and then blame it on anything other than their own handling of the problem it is a whole new kind of bad. I hope the NRA and groups like OFF do everything they can legally to block what's coming

"Cancel culture" is in my opinion just conservatives being the snowflakes they complained of a few years ago. Fascism comes from government. If folks are being told by others "what you have to say to us or what you do to us is offensive so we aren't going to listen to you or support you with our dollars", that's not new in America.
What is new is to go back through everything a person has ever said and look at it (1) as if it had been said yesterday and (2) not allow for any context or apology. Couple that with only people who hold currently otherwise acceptable but opposing views being considered as potential victims, and you have cancel culture. We live in a world where (as a trivial example) not only can the movie "Tropic Thunder" not be made, but the people who made it the first time state that they regret it. Because reasons. Where a man is told someone used the N word, and then asks "How did they use N?" and is cancelled for ... using the N word.

This is virtue signalling and vindictiveness run amok.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top