JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Their source link from the PENN professor referred to: https://citycrimestats.com/covid/

In a somewhat contradictory report, showing the relevance of the debate of what is a "mass shooting", discussed above, is this report looks at some of the nuances.

"While the drop-off in high-profile shootings is heartening, experts who track gun violence note that other shootings appear to have risen this year: gang violence, drive-by shootings and other random firearm deaths."

As to the sources, Newsweek and the AP may be the MSM, but IMO are pretty middle of the road as far as political leanings.

Last Edited:
Source? Because this does not seem to be the case. It is true that the current administration encouraged violence and rioting last year. This seems contrafactual that there is a huge increase in gun crime.

I don't think that the statement "It is true that the current administration encouraged violence and rioting last year" is remotely accurate. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mned-violence-protests-all-summer/5706355002/ (Not exactly a bastion of liberal journalism...)

And now I'm back to being frustrated about the state of online discussions of any controversial topic where the sides line up. We really can't talk about this without wading into other politics. [sigh....] Alas. What's worse is then we start arguing about what verifiable reality looks like and the accuracy of journalism and sourcing of information. To be clear I'm not pointing fingers, because I tend to get drawn in too. That said, i really didn't come here to play that game.

I'm going to just look for a deal on an AR or a G26 in the classifieds and leave this here. If anyone out there has a 7.62 x 39 AR and wants to tell me pros and cons of it vs. a .556 please drop your knowledge on me via PM.

Best,

They start with a very skewed definition of mass shooting, and then never present evidence that gun related murder is actually up. Not atypical.

Did you tweek the inputs for the charts based on the crime category? There was actually a category for "shooting". Sure shooting does not equal murder...but usually just a titch away from that. If you use that the charts all change. Obviously this PENN study only looked at certain big cities. When the FBI compiles data I bet it will bear out. At the same time my point, like the NRA has pointed out for years, lots of these upticks can be blamed on criminals doing criminal bubblegum and gun laws and background checks won't change any of that.

I guess you don't understand the words almost 4 years.
My mistake, Oct 2017. I had it in my head it was in 2018. :confused:

Edit. supposedly there was over 500 "mass shootings" reported in 2019 :rolleyes: Saw some decidedly biased articles talking about that and looked up where they got their numbers from.. apparently they counted all incidences where 4 or more persons, excluding the shooter themselves, were injured or killed or both :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And it looked like almost 50% were related to commercial or retail premises, and the majority involved "criminal and gang activities" plus "family disputes":rolleyes:

My mistake, Oct 2017. I had it in my head it was in 2018. :confused:
No big deal the republican party had control of house and senate.
And they still let the bump stock ban go through.
So even though Hundreds of thousands of libs.
Dem.
Or what ever just ran out and bought guns.
The first mass shooting.
They all will vote to ban guns mags ammo sales.
Even the ones they just all went and bought.
ALL THEY NEED IS TO MAKE ONE HAPPEN.
if you think these kids are going to come back to school after the covid scare and be normal.
You can't see past the end of your nose.

It's all about control.
Free speech is gone gun control is right around the corner covid-19 made it possible for them to say stay in your house. Don't come out until we say it's OK.
And they control where you can go and what time.
And how many people can go with you
Don't go to work .
The government will give you money .
Bla bla bla bla.
Vote by mail.
So on and so on.
Lol .
Can't find ammo hmmmm .
Wonder why.

It's all about control.
Free speech is gone gun control is right around the corner covid-19 made it possible for them to say stay in your house. Don't come out until we say it's OK.
And they control where you can go and what time.
And how many people can go with you
Don't go to work .
The government will give you money .
Bla bla bla bla.
Vote by mail.
So on and so on.
Lol .
Can't find ammo hmmmm .
Wonder why.
Havent really had "free speech" since TPTB decided one needed a permit to "legally assemble" for protests. Probably goes much further back.

Down here though... they haven't given curfews that I know of? Only thing is the whole stupid mask mandate and indoor dining/"social distancing" thing but yeah, its all about control.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top