JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"

Several House Democrats on Friday called on President Joe Biden to appoint a "national gun violence" director, coming after the White House pushed Congress to try and pass more gun-control measures, including one that would limit liability shields for gun manufacturers.

"Currently, federal efforts to combat gun violence, including research on the impacts and causes of gun violence and law enforcement efforts to combat it, are siloed across agencies," read a letter (pdf) from Reps. Joe Neguse (D-Colo.) and Lucy McBath (D-Ga.). "Appointing a National Director of Gun Violence to promote coordination of federal agencies will ensure these agencies are working collaboratively, including via the dissemination of critical data and coordination of shared goals, including the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, and Tobacco, Department of Justice, Health and Human Services, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

The director role, they said, should be tasked with reducing firearms deaths and injuries by at least 50 percent for the next ten years.

However, the appetite for gun control among the American public might be diminishing. In the past year, gun sales exploded as about 8.5 million people purchased firearms for the first time, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The FBI also said it processed nearly 40 million gun background checks.

Jurgen Braue, the chief economist at Small Arms Analytics and Forecasting, told Business Insider that "wave upon wave of uncertainty and concern [are] driving firearm demand" in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and riots last year.

Gun-rights groups have issued warnings about recent Democratic proposals for stricter gun regulations.

"While we can agree that there are several 'common sense' and long overdue changes needed to our nation's gun laws, we firmly believe that the path forward should be focused on supporting and protecting responsible, law-abiding Americans—not criminalizing and punishing them," the U.S. Concealed Carry Association said in a letter to Biden earlier week, noting that as many as 105 million law-abiding gun owners could face criminal penalties.

And in February, Biden said this month that he'd push Congress to pass more laws restricting firearms, including allowing gun manufacturers to face lawsuits, "banning "assault weapons," and placing bans on high-capacity magazines.

"This Administration will not wait for the next mass shooting to heed that call. We will take action to end our epidemic of gun violence and make our schools and communities safer. Today, I am calling on Congress to enact commonsense gun law reforms, including requiring background checks on all gun sales, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and eliminating immunity for gun manufacturers who knowingly put weapons of war on our streets," Biden said earlier this month during the anniversary of the Parkland, Florida mass shooting.

including one that would limit liability shields for gun manufacturers

I've been wondering when we can expect liability lawsuits against individual, private sellers of used firearms. I'm not joking here. After buying and selling guns over the course of the past 55 years, I've accumulated a lot of exposure.

It makes some sense that the surge in gun purchases in 2020 from Covid and riot fear could give the Dems some pause. Maybe. And it must be frustrating, waiting through numerous mass shooting episodes to be able to increase limits on gun ownership. And being able to do nothing. Now that they are in control, all the new interest in gun ownership is bound to cause some amount of push-back. So maybe we aren't in for quite as many wild-eyed measures as we thought. The jury is still out.

I'm pretty confident we'll see a clone-ish of the '94 AWB before this administration is through. I think the biggest risk will come in 30 years when a good majority of boomers are very dead and millennials are nearing retirement with all the woke generations behind them stacking the ballot box

I believe they are waiting for a mass shooting event that gets national attention, then in typical style, the crisis will be exploited and they will try to push some legislature through in the middle of the night. The catch is the ruling party will want some GOP suckers in on it so they can call it a "bipartisan bill" so that way they don't get decimated in the midterms and lose control of the house, and senate.

That dipbubblegum Berrera was testifying for his Senate hearing last week and he said something that I had to smile about. There was a question about something-or-other and his response was, "well, the first place we should start is enforcing the existing laws."

I hope someone clipped his comment and brings that up.

I believe they are waiting for a mass shooting event that gets national attention, then in typical style, the crisis will be exploited and they will try to push some legislature through in the middle of the night.

Has anyone noticed anything interesting about the last year or so? No school, no school shootings. Thank you Covid-19.

There is actually some named Berrera in gov? Yikes, too close...

beria.jpg

Has anyone noticed anything interesting about the last year or so? No school, no school shootings. Thank you Covid-19.
Hard to fabricate a shooting when folks stay at home. Which is why we have a little longer..
Sadly once things are opened up, I bet we'll just happen to have one come out of nowhere. They'll propose ridiculous draconian bills, those will get shot down, then they'll have "Told ya so" bills ready to go at a moments notice. Mark my words, that will be the exact play that goes down.

Just make suicide illegal and 90% of gun deaths will cease. Oh wait... it's already illegal! Sadly, just like criminals, a way will be found.
I never understood how that makes any sense at all. Gonna convict a dead guy? Life in pris... Oh....

wait, I thought we were getting a $50,000 college tuition credit first. Did I miss that?
Unless you're a straight white conservative male

Isn't is just like a dumb liberal to waste resources fighting to save less than 30,000 gun related deaths a year, instead of the other 3 million deaths annually?

Did they manage to clean up the oceans with their plastic straw/bag ban efforts yet?

I believe they are waiting for a mass shooting event that gets national attention, then in typical style, the crisis will be exploited and they will try to push some legislature through in the middle of the night. The catch is the ruling party will want some GOP suckers in on it so they can call it a "bipartisan bill" so that way they don't get decimated in the midterms and lose control of the house, and senate.
I concur 100%. It's weird that many of these anti gun laws get passed when a so called "random" shooting happens. Too close for coincidence.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top