JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally got to pick up my new Extar EP-9 from my FFL today in Colfax. I drive by a small gravel pit on the way there and I noticed that it was under 2' of snow and would be impossible to get into, so no range report.

FFL opened the box up and the SB Tactical brace was already installed. I know most videos mention that it comes uninstalled and so I had looked up instructions already, but didn't need to, apparently.

Really nothing special. Very plain cardboard box with just the gun, a very short instruction manual, and a Magpul Pmag17 magazine. No lock, no cleaning stuff, nothing else.

rntZAtAWRMSRPeC6C4-uWw.jpg

FFL picked it up and couldn't believe how light it was.

He hadn't heard of them before and was obviously skeptical of it's durability. I assured him that it was receiving rave reviews and I've yet to find any examples of failures not related to people using crappy magazines.

I got it home and installed a cheap reflex sight I had laying around, as well as a weapon light I just got in from Amazon.

07SmWNFJRFety3VzusQa5g.jpg

It is extremely light and handy and the light serves as a hand stop, so won't add one. Have a QD sling attachment on it's way as well as a sling.

May swap out the grip for something better and rubberized. Stock one is too slippery.

Overall, quality is OK. Definitely not the same level of quality of polymer you find on a Glock. There are some sharp lines and minor imperfections.

It feels like it needs a couple hundred rounds ran through it to loosen it up and break it in, so looking forward to that. Will be sure to get a 50yd and 25yd accuracy test as well since those are non-existent on the internet.

Overall, happy with it for $400. Might just smooth out some of the polymer lines and give it one of my trademark camo jobs since I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. We'll see how the first range session goes.

Posted a picture of it on Facebook along with my late Grandfather's Remington SpeedMaster 241 and explained that under Washington's I-1639, that it is considered an assault rifle and requires extra fees and background checks to purchase, while my new "pistol" is not.

IMG_20190305_161645610.jpg

Last Edited:
Looks good. I haven't had any luck yet finding one in stock but I try almost every day. Furiously clicking on page refresh hoping the next screen will show some in stock. :D
The only negative thing I've read is some folks report the 33 round glock mag doesn't always fall free when empty.

Looking forward to a range report. Sure seems like a fun gun!

Finally got to pick up my new Extar EP-9 from my FFL today in Colfax. I drive by a small gravel pit on the way there and I noticed that it was under 2' of snow and would be impossible to get into, so no range report.

FFL opened the box up and the SB Tactical brace was already installed. I know most videos mention that it comes uninstalled and so I had looked up instructions already, but didn't need to, apparently.

Really nothing special. Very plain cardboard box with just the gun, a very short instruction manual, and a Magpul Pmag17 magazine. No lock, no cleaning stuff, nothing else.

View attachment 555360

FFL picked it up and couldn't believe how light it was.

He hadn't heard of them before and was obviously skeptical of it's durability. I assured him that it was receiving rave reviews and I've yet to find any examples of failures not related to people using crappy magazines.

I got it home and installed a cheap reflex sight I had laying around, as well as a weapon light I just got in from Amazon.

View attachment 555372

It is extremely light and handy and the light serves as a hand stop, so won't add one. Have a QD sling attachment on it's way as well as a sling.

May swap out the grip for something better and rubberized. Stock one is too slippery.

Overall, quality is OK. Definitely not the same level of quality of polymer you find on a Glock. There are some sharp lines and minor imperfections.

It feels like it needs a couple hundred rounds ran through it to loosen it up and break it in, so looking forward to that. Will be sure to get a 50yd and 25yd accuracy test as well since those are non-existent on the internet.

Overall, happy with it for $400. Might just smooth out some of the polymer lines and give it one of my trademark camo jobs since I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. We'll see how the first range session goes.

Nice! Regarding brace being slippery u could also put rubberized grip tape on it (not the sandpaper-like stuff). Amazon sells it in rolls and it's not that much. I use that tape on pistol grips, cameras. back of my Phone, etc anything where i want more grip.

Also just a note regarding lengthening/shortening the brace. I would definitely suggest following the extar video cuz it's really easy to move that way.

Looks good. I haven't had any luck yet finding one in stock but I try almost every day. Furiously clicking on page refresh hoping the next screen will show some in stock. :D
The only negative thing I've read is some folks report the 33 round glock mag doesn't always fall free when empty.

Looking forward to a range report. Sure seems like a fun gun!

They re-stock them three times a week; at 5pm MST, Monday Wednesday, and Friday, I think. They used to have a little message near the "out of stock" button on their website, but I just looked and it's gone. I had to do that three separate days/times, and was finally able to order one.

Yeah, the mags do not drop free. I tried a factory Glock 33-round, a factory Glock G19 15-round, and the P-Mag 17-round that came with it and none would drop free.

Not a big deal since just a range toy and I rarely ever let my mags drop...

They re-stock them three times a week; at 5pm MST, Monday Wednesday, and Friday, I think. They used to have a little message near the "out of stock" button on their website, but I just looked and it's gone. I had to do that three separate days/times, and was finally able to order one...
Thanks. I have appointments on my calendar for those days/times, I'll keep trying. Mags not dropping free is not a deal breaker for me either.

Thanks. I have appointments on my calendar for those days/times, I'll keep trying. Mags not dropping free is not a deal breaker for me either.

If they don't drop free u may want to try sanding just the spots on the mags which show friction/wear (sand a little wider than just where the wear marks are).

Fwiw mine came with a jaeger 20 rd (25td? Can't remember) mag which did drop free but the 33 rd oem Glock ones didn't. My personal view is that I could pretty much care less if they drop free or not. My priority is reliability and with 33 rounds, saving 1/2 second in loading the next 33 rounds is not a big deal for me. If one of those 66 rounds had a jam though, that would be a big deal. I know to some people drop free is a big deal and nothing wrong with that.

I just ordered mine on the 1st of March at 4pm PST (5MST). I'm guessing that they would probably do that again on April 1st. In case you are not having any luck checking every Monday, Wednesday, Friday before then. I loaded extra Picatinny rails in my basket beforehand so it was ready to go when I placed my order. I didn't have to pay any extra for shipping. I also emailed them asking about FFL around Portland OR. I was told they have used Tigard Pawn before. I had mine shipped to Oregon Rifleworks due to the good reviews on here. So they will have that on file now as well.

I got mine at Sunset firearms in Wilsonville. That's a good idea to kind of keep a list of FFLs on Extar's "approved" list (so buyer doesn't have to worry about asking their ffl to send Extar their paperwork). So to start a mini-list so to speak, in Portland area we have:

Oregon Rifleworks
Tigard Pawn
Sunset Firearms

Hopefully other owners will chime in with other FFL's on Extar's list.

That's one of the things I love about buying from the big places like Brownells, Palmetto, CDDN, Classic firearms, etc. etc. They have approved lists ready to go, just pick ur FFL and it's an instant order online. As Extar sells more guns, their list will grow.

Extar is outside of the "normal distribution system" because they have cut out the middleman and the gun goes from the manufacturer directly to the FFL. It's nice to see FFLs aren't balking at that and are willing to go through the trouble to send in their paperwork to Extar.

Have they ever produced either the .45 cal or the 10mm models? They have been on their website for a couple of years now.

They state they are in the hands of reviewers...

I watched a Youtube video of a young kid that was reviewing the EP-9 and he stated that he had the .45 and 10mm versions to review as well and he had them sitting on his bench.

Will have to look at his other videos to see if he actually reviewed them...

I got mine at Sunset firearms in Wilsonville. That's a good idea to kind of keep a list of FFLs on Extar's "approved" list (so buyer doesn't have to worry about asking their ffl to send Extar their paperwork). So to start a mini-list so to speak, in Portland area we have:

Oregon Rifleworks
Tigard Pawn
Sunset Firearms

Hopefully other owners will chime in with other FFL's on Extar's list.

That's one of the things I love about buying from the big places like Brownells, Palmetto, CDDN, Classic firearms, etc. etc. They have approved lists ready to go, just pick ur FFL and it's an instant order online. As Extar sells more guns, their list will grow.

Extar is outside of the "normal distribution system" because they have cut out the middleman and the gun goes from the manufacturer directly to the FFL. It's nice to see FFLs aren't balking at that and are willing to go through the trouble to send in their paperwork to Extar.

This is a VERY good idea. If anyone in WA orders same thing, should start a list of places that are fine with having them do the transfer. One of these in 10mm would be VERY tempting indeed!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top