JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
My usual process for interfacing with NWFA is to click on the "New" menu - NOT one of the choices below it - then scroll thru the results, then once I am done I select the "mark sections read" button.

It used to be that the results included the classifieds, and that is important to me as I am always keeping an eye out for something there.

Now, if I want to see both new non-classifieds and classifieds, I have to choose "New", look at the results which only shows non-classifieds results, read those, then select "classifieds" to get the new classifieds in a separate tab, then go back to the general non-classifieds results and select "mark read" there, then read the classifieds in the other tab.

I much prefer the old results that mixed both general and classifieds threads together.

I looked to see if there was a new preference, and I found nothing with regards to this issue.

My usual process for interfacing with NWFA is to click on the "New" menu - NOT one of the choices below it - then scroll thru the results, then once I am done I select the "mark sections read" button.

It used to be that the results included the classifieds, and that is important to me as I am always keeping an eye out for something there.

Now, if I want to see both new non-classifieds and classifieds, I have to choose "New", look at the results which only shows non-classifieds results, read those, then select "classifieds" to get the new classifieds in a separate tab, then go back to the general non-classifieds results and select "mark read" there, then read the classifieds in the other tab.

I much prefer the old results that mixed both general and classifieds threads together.

I looked to see if there was a new preference, and I found nothing with regards to this issue.
I have noticed the same as I looked at new content same as you described , @Joe Link set it up this way with the latest update.

His response was.....

"This is the way it is going forward, because with the new classified system ads aren't 'threads' anymore. They're now a separate item type like resources in the resource guide, which is what is going to allow us to add a bunch of new features for them."

Upvote 1
When the pandemic hit I was annoyed with the classified in the "New Posts" as it seemed like the only thing in "new Posts" was 9mm at $1/round. I kind of stopped using New. I like how it is now, I just visit "New Posts" then pop over to "New Classifieds", but I never really used the mark all read option, I just hide threads that seem to keep popping up and I am not interested in. I know how you fee though. When the change happened I was a bit put off, but I am already used to it.

One change I don't like is closed threads no longer show up in my "watched" list. I liked looking back and seeing what happened to classified I missed out on.

Upvote 0
I have noticed the same as I looked at new content same as you described , @Joe Link set it up this way with the latest update.

His response was.....

"This is the way it is going forward, because with the new classified system ads aren't 'threads' anymore. They're now a separate item type like resources in the resource guide, which is what is going to allow us to add a bunch of new features for them."

Ok thanks. I don't mind the new format that much - it just makes it so I need to take at least two or three extra steps. It would be nice if there were a way to mark the all thread as "read" separately in the "overview", but to do that I need to return to the "new" view.

Upvote 0
Definitely shows how little goes on around here without all the new classifieds. Combined with my ignore list, it's become rather boring to browse.

Upvote 0

Yep, this is the answer.

We're still working on the new classified system, and it's taking quite a bit longer than expected. Right now New > New Classifieds takes you to the New Classifieds page, which is basically just a list of ads from all classified categories ordered by date. The new system has a page just like New Posts which includes read/unread items :)

I'm also looking into the possibility of adding the option for each member to control whether the New button takes them to New Posts or New Classifieds, though that's a long term plan.

Upvote 0
Yep, this is the answer.

We're still working on the new classified system, and it's taking quite a bit longer than expected. Right now New > New Classifieds takes you to the New Classifieds page, which is basically just a list of ads from all classified categories ordered by date. The new system has a page just like New Posts which includes read/unread items :)

I'm also looking into the possibility of adding the option for each member to control whether the New button takes them to New Posts or New Classifieds, though that's a long term plan.

It would be nice if "mark sections read" only worked on the forums displayed. It also marks classifieds as read, which is not intuitive since they are not displayed on that page.

Upvote 0
It would be nice if "mark sections read" only worked on the forums displayed. It also marks classifieds as read, which is not intuitive since they are not displayed on that page.

Yep, I agree. Unfortunately there isn't a work around for this at the moment (but it will be fixed once the new system is in place).

Upvote 0
I'm not gonna lie, I didn't even know this until just now. And I'm in the camp that likes to see the new classifieds along with all the other "new" activity.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top