JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been real soft around the core for a while. Been hiking ~25mi a week for the past couple of months. Started back on morning exercises a couple of weeks ago (and starting to feel stronger):

40 side straddle hops
40 alternating toe touches
40 trunk twists
40 side benders
40 cherry pickers
40 squats
40 windmill (front and back)
40 leg lifts
20 inclined pushups

After a few more weeks of this I will start doing squat thrusts and mountain climbers (working up to it... ; ) It is a great way to start the day and does not take too much time.

Cut a trail trough the woods yesterday on the property where I am staying for running with a rifle and pack. Was puffing half way through running it yesterday without a pack and rifle so I'll be working up to it as well. Come rainy season there are a number of boggy areas that will add some fun (note to self: install cold water shower outside the house for inspiration ; )

Cutting back on carbs/sugars to get the pounds off (maybe a small DQ butterfinger blizzard once a month). Typical diet: oatmeal in a.m., fruits, nuts or cheese for snacks, meat & veg for lunch, egg for snack, salad with nuts, meat, Parmesan, Cesar dressing or baked chicken thighs w/veg for dinner. Have an occasional redbull (maybe 2 8oz cans a week at the most..used to be 3 cans a day). Drink at least 80oz of water a day. No soda, coffee or alcohol. Quit smoking 1yr and 3wks ago. Sneak a bowl of raisin bran with a banana every once in a while.

Looking forward to being fit again one day in the next year!

Forgot the supplements: 250mg Magnesium, 2000mg Vitamin C, 1000mg Fish Oil, 4000ui Vitamin D, Whole Food Concentrate Multivitamin, 250mg Niacin

Why do you rationalize getting the pounds off?

I can see if someone's obese, however, it makes more sense to build endurance, yet have some reserves...

Remember, when the walls come tumbling down, those with 2% body fat are going to be hurting more when they have to go hungry.

You didn't mention your age, but maintaining fitness is a good step. Several light meals/snacks are a more natural way for your body to absorb food as that is how we developed. You seem right on track there. I do a light weight load work out three times a week, (Lots of reps to build long muscles with endurance) and get an average of 40 miles of running

I can see if someone's obese, however, it makes more sense to build endurance, yet have some reserves...

Remember, when the walls come tumbling down, those with 2% body fat are going to be hurting more when they have to go hungry.

I have plenty of reserves as I have been sitting behind a desk for the past 15years. Far cry from my Marine Corps days. No goal of 2% body fat for me..just a better impression of myself when I look in the mirror, feeling that I am prepared for most physical challenges and knowing that I have the stamina to do a 10mile forced march with a 40lb pack on (if I ever had to). I have been treating my body poorly for the past 10 years and it is time to turn this vessel around.

You didn't mention your age, but maintaining fitness is a good step. Several light meals/snacks are a more natural way for your body to absorb food as that is how we developed. You seem right on track there. I do a light weight load work out three times a week, (Lots of reps to build long muscles with endurance) and get an average of 40 miles of running

Wow! I couldn't imagine running 40 miles a week. I have to do mine in the woods as running on pavement kills my ankles/shins/knees (lost half the cartilage in my right knee in a MotoX accident years ago). I am 42. I have just recently figured out that 2 huge meals a day and tons of red bull without much PT is not the best thing for my body...

Way to go netsecsys! Giving you kudos as I feel your age (just turned 43). Endurance and strength are extremely important. I run 3-7 miles three days a week with a 40lb vest, and lift three days a week, as well as staying active with Judo and grappling. My diet, however, needs work. I eat good foods (sashimi, Subway is the only fast food, no soda, lots of water, etc.), I just don't eat more than twice a day due to my demanding schedule. Good inspiration for all of us netsecsys...thanks for sharing!

nobody's saying anybody should have 2%, or even 10% body fat. after spending my life at around 7-8%, i have no idea where i am right now- by the inherently inaccurate height/weight formula, i have a BMI (not percentage) of 26- just a hair "over-weight." but factoring my thick musculature, i suspect i'm probably actually closer to 20. either way, i DO have some love-handles, and when i'm running 6, 7 miles and wondering how much faster i'd be moving if i wasn't carrying probably 10-15lbs of unnecessary fat, i have a desire to trim up. light and fast, man.

but.. as an aside.. at this point in my life, that's probably not even really possible.. i work 70-80 hours a week, and when i'm not working, i'm dividing my time between climbing and trying to spend some quality time with my wife and 4 kids... i simply do not have the time required to re-sculpt my body back into where it was at 17. if somebody wants to fund me a Himalayan expedition, i'm sure those extra lbs would come in quite useful, and be GONE by the time i got home... but barring that extreme unlikeliness, i doubt i'll ever see the under-side of 170lbs again.

New addition to the routine. I often have to sit for long periods of time doing research/writing papers for school. I am now limiting myself to 1hr in the chair. For every hour in the chair, I do 15mins of semi strenuous PT. I put 15lbs of rocks in a backpack and double-time around my property for 15mins raising my heart rate and breaking a good sweat. Will increase the poundage in the pack periodically. So far, good results. Thanks.

nobody's saying anybody should have 2%, or even 10% body fat. after spending my life at around 7-8%, i have no idea where i am right now- by the inherently inaccurate height/weight formula, i have a BMI (not percentage) of 26- just a hair "over-weight." but factoring my thick musculature, i suspect i'm probably actually closer to 20. either way, i DO have some love-handles, and when i'm running 6, 7 miles and wondering how much faster i'd be moving if i wasn't carrying probably 10-15lbs of unnecessary fat, i have a desire to trim up. light and fast, man.

but.. as an aside.. at this point in my life, that's probably not even really possible.. i work 70-80 hours a week, and when i'm not working, i'm dividing my time between climbing and trying to spend some quality time with my wife and 4 kids... i simply do not have the time required to re-sculpt my body back into where it was at 17. if somebody wants to fund me a Himalayan expedition, i'm sure those extra lbs would come in quite useful, and be GONE by the time i got home... but barring that extreme unlikeliness, i doubt i'll ever see the under-side of 170lbs again.

Preaching to the choir.

/salute

-d

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR