Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

new credit card system coming on line

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Just Jim, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

2. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Not aimed specifically at gun stores as it's pretty much across the board. I know that some banks have made the chips optional, and some are replacing old cards with the chipped cards as they expire. I don't think that it's a big deal. And even if I did, it's going to happen anyway.

Caveman Jim and BoonDocks36 like this.
  3. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

This has been coming for a long time. The U.S. is about the only developed country not using this technology.

4. BDA.45

BDA.45 oregon Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I always drill a hole through the chip...

Redcap likes this.
  5. NONAME762

NONAME762 Nowheresville Active Member

So if I drill 2 holes I should be double safe?!?o_O:eek:o_O

BDA.45 likes this.
  6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

They are adding a chip to the cards for extra fraud protection.

Makes it harder to steal your card number and use it in person by creating a fake card with a mag strip programmed from your card data, which they can get whenever you use your card with a card reader. This is especially true if you give them the card - like at a restaurant where it will be out of your sight; criminals can then run it through a second reader solely for the purpose of reading the info off the card so they can duplicated it and/or sell the info.

As already said, the USA is way behind the rest of the world in this regard, simply because the card providers here don't want to spend the money - it is cheaper for them to deal with the fraud.

Martini_Up likes this.
  7. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

A problems with the "new" chipped cards is that
    1. most still have the magnetic strip as well because so many stores haven't or won't buy the new readers that the chip cards require. As long as that mag strip is still on them the "new" cards are as easy to copy as the old cards.
    2. The US opted for using a signature to "verify" the user rather than a PIN number like the rest of the world ;^( This was a very stupid move as the stores have no way to verify a signature. Using a PIN system is much safer as the actual owner of the card can change their PIN as often as they wish.
    Once again the US went with the weaker system.

theguncrank likes this.
  8. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Won't buy the new reader? Fraudulent transaction done with a new card and an old reader?
    "those merchants using non-compliant EMV credit card payment devices and who accept transactions made with EMV-compliant cards assume liability for any and all transactions that are found to be fraudulent."
    Merchant eats it

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

As for verifying if a signature is real... I always let a merchant know it's appreciated every time I'm asked to show ID for a signature purchase.

It's amazing how few clerks ask to see ID to validate identity. :rolleyes:

10. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

11. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Safety and security.

Same people who think it's tracking also believed that page 1684 of the ACA had designation for chip implants.

Don't trust InfoWars with your information guys.

Less fraud leads to lower costs (i'm looking at my credit unions bottom line- who issues me loans etc).

Europe has embraced this technology and it's proven very effective.

12. frauhunter

frauhunter Central Oregon Member

Looks to me like it:

1: It's supposed to provide for more secure transactions. Uh-huh. Like we never heard that before from the same corporate azzhats who promised nuclear power would produce electricity so inexpensively they wouldn't be able to meter it and that they'd never show commercial advertisements on cable TV since we were already paying for the service...

2: Shift liability of fraudulent transactions to the party that is not equipped with the EMV technology. Which almost universally will mean the merchant, but, more importantly, it will indemnify the card issuer. They don't say how much it is going to cost, but I think the old adage about how not finding a price tag probably means you can't afford it most likely applies here.

They didn't say, but if the serial number of the item is part of the transaction [now or in the future, either direct entry by the retailer or part of the UPC scan] it could herald automatic product registration - in the example, firearm registration.

Towards the end of the article the author notes "A vital first step for firearms retailers to take now is to install new credit card processing terminals that are capable of processing smart cards...", and further warns to have this done by 01 Oct 15 to avoid liability for fraud. The correct answer is, of course, for merchants to quit accepting credit cards, period. You'd think an organization like this could show a bit more sense then to shill for banks.

Ex Gladio Libertas

13. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

From the article above "Chip ‘n’ PIN cards, also known as EMV cards, are being rolled out in the United States"

Actually the US is only rolling out the Chip part, not using a PIN :( rather the US system will still require a signature at the terminal. Using a "signature" is useless as no one checks the signatures and even if they did I doubt any of us can sign our signature on a digital pad that looks anything like our actual pen and ink signature. I would much prefer a personal PIN number that I can change at will.

Nick Burkhardt likes this.
  14. frauhunter

frauhunter Central Oregon Member

Which is why I always sign my plastic, "See Photo ID".

15. razormanxx

razormanxx eugene Active Member

All businesses will have to have updated card machines by this October that's when it's all changing over.

16. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

From what I've seen, remembering four little numbers seems to be challenging to about 25% of the shopping population...

17. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

Ah, Europe... don't they always tend to embrace the things that lead to the greater good?

ob1 and frauhunter like this.
  18. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Political leaning aside...

It's too easy to get card numbers and run them without needing anything other than the front digits and cvv number.

19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Instead of signing my card on the back space provided I write "check my ID" with a check emblem and when they do check I applaud they for it.;)

20. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

And then there are those that have a photo of you embossed on the card, which I prefer. Ya ....I know photos can be falsified as can any photo ID.

My one question about these chips is that since they were specified and required by the Federal government, what's to keep all your purchasing info from being cloned and ending up in a master Federal "Cloud" ? (automatically circumventing privacy protocols established by banking institutions)
    Aside from the obvious ammo purchasing scenario, lets say one day in the not so distant future.... you get nailed for buying a bag of corn-nuts at 7-11, against doctors advise and then you get a penalty from IRS or your Obamafied health insurance premiums shoot up (again).

Oh....the Federal government wouldn't do that...they're here to help us.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015