JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We're thinking of building on a vacant lot we own and are trying to get a handle on cost before we waste a contractors time if it is cost prohibitive. We're looking at a 1700 to 1800 sq. ft 3 bedroom typical dwelling. Not el cheapo but not extravagant. Is there some kind of average cost per sq ft we can use to see if it's worth pursuing? We're considering standard stick construction or a log cabin. The site is fairly level and has good access.

My family has been exploring this same situation, except we don't have the property yet. It really does depend on where at as well as who you select to build. A large company may be quite a bit cheaper if you are located close to their hq's. A smaller builder may be more flexible but could take longer. We were close to $125-$175 per square foot with MANY variables.

We would need more info on the site to make any estimate. Utility construction can get expensive very quick. City water or well needing to be drilled? Sewer or septic? These two items alone start in the thousands and go up from there. We have looked into developing on a peice we have and cost without utility construction is right around $90-$130 per square foot depending on the bid.

I'd say figure $125 per sq ft then plan 10% more on top. Since you've got a lot and probably have utilities close that will help eliminate a lot of variables.

We built rural on a hillside, there were a lot of factors that 'came up' that ended up costing quite a bit more than planned. The more you know up front the closer you can actually get on an estimate. If you know exactly what you want it will also help. What are others paying in your area with similar plans and lot sizes?

I am building a HiLine Home on 2 acres in Central Oregon 1780 sq feet single level for $ 206,000 for the house. That is about $ 115 a square foot. Another $ 126,000 for utilities, site work and a shop. That is with 7% cost over runs on the work. This is with 450 foot runs on the utilities and building / rocking the road.

I was prepared for and could still end up at about $ 135 a sf on the house. We already own the property, but that would only add another $ 26 a sf to the cost.

I can probably get the site / dirt work down a bit if I do more of it, but that kind of stuff really kicks my azz anymore.

The service development fees are quite a bit more expensive in the valley, and metro areas. And I mean a LOT more expensive. SDC's if I was to build in Washington County would be around $ 35,000. In Jefferson County they will be about $ 9,000.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top