JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone picked one of these up yet and tried it out?

Colt's Manufacturing LLC

My youngest son recently won a raffle at school for a $500 gift certificate to a local gun store and picked out a Springfield 1911, but I saw the Colt listed and was thinking maybe dear old dad could use a 1911 as well.

Anyone try out one of these new 1911s?

36102_1.jpg

Buhler? Buhler?

Nobody has any comment on these?

Let me try it this way......."Are they better looking than a Glock?" :D

E

The USGI 1911A1 profile, cuts, and grips are my all-time favorite flavor of 1911!

@Velzey has a US Army marked Ithaca 1911A1 of mine he's attempting to "de-bubba" (was that way when I got it) and restore as a "shooter" for me! :D

But to answer your OP question.... no, not this particular one.

And to answer your second question as a Glock owner of four.... HELL yes, they're better looking! ;)

OK, my $.02:

Pros:
Its a Colt with all the history that brings.
It's 70 series and priced reasonably.

Cons:
Not made to the same standards as the 70's era gun it reproduces.
'Classic' sights are lacking as compared to Novak style common on other 1911 options in the price range.

My take:
Get it if the history / nostalgia factor is important to you.
Or if the actual shooting factors weigh higher, get a Ruger/Springer, etc. with more features in the same price range.

Colt appears to be stepping up its 1911 production offerings which is a win win! Not having handled the particular version in the O.P, I cannot say, but judging the quality of the others I have seen of late, and the prices being some what reasonable while still reflecting the Colt legacy, definatly worth a long hard look and see if it dosnt follow you home!:)
Had to pass on a Delta Elite, 2 is enough already, but Damn....................
Those Delta's are quite someting! Thousand bucks retail, thats a lot less then they were a few years ago!

As a high schooler drooling over Colt catalogs I wanted a Delta Elite. Now that I have tears in both wrists and want subsonic ammo for quiet target practice I am straying away from that idea.

I almost got one of the Colt ones with the blue grips, just never quite found the deal I wanted. Ended up with the Springfield range officer in 9mm, as a big brother to my GSG 1911 in .22.

DSCN1829.JPG

Bare bones Gov't Series 70 1911, as originally mfg. back in the day for $899 - very nice. Beats those tired $1100 1911's the CMP is selling.

I wish they would reissue the Government Mark IV Series 80 in .380 ACP.

I just picked up a Colt Commander, and I like it, but it doesn't feel as solid as the Springfield 1911's. Just my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that a Colt, 1911-A1, MK-4, Series 70 would be an excellent buy. But, the last one I purchased, a few years ago(original in mid-'70s), no box or or manual etc., purchased used(from Little Nickel ad - if anyone remembers that paper) private party, no paperwork, only cost me $125.00. Well, the current prices(new or used) just seems a bit high to me.

I really like the design and the up dates they made. If course, the Gun has been highly modified, by the firm of KKG, that's Me and I doubt I would sell it for that price, but who knows.:):):)

The kid's Springfield Mil Spec arrived today. Not too bad looking. I like that they toned down some of the markings on the slide compared to earlier versions. I am disappointed that there is not a bushing wrench included.

20190220_171018.jpg

20190220_171110.jpg

nehalemguy;

FWIW: There really is no good reason to include a bushing wrench with your Colt. All you need to do is push the slide to the rear slightly. Then the bushing can be turned either way.

There are Lots of tricks out there, you just have to look for them.:):):)

The Springfield steel frames are very nice. I really like the way steel holds up, as opposed to aluminum slides, that start to deform pretty quick if you shoot a lot. ( Especially around the slide stop) Was looking pretty hard at a Kimber Aegis, until I figured out it had aluminum, or some kind of alloy in the slide. The Springfield wood grips are pretty attractive, too, I saved mine away, though, due to needing to modify grips to fit a lefty safety. Never have needed a bushing wrench, has anyone else here? I just push the button in with a plastic tool, or my finger, and the bushing always rotates for me. I do usually clean after each session at the range, ~ 300 rounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top